Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Galaxy S3 keeps freezing. help!

Well mine just freezes randomly it started in about a week I have my phone since November and it never happened before please help me I don't know what to do the only way I can restart it is taking the battery out because it doesn't let me do nothing not even block it

Well mine freezes randomly in started about 4 days ago it and it never happened before and I don't know what to do I use wifi and cellular data I have my phone since November and to restart it I need to take the battery out because it doesn't even let me block it it just freezes completely I really need help

Kcxx2011,
    A single post is sufficient.
    You could try the suggestion in post #50 (basically, wiping the cache while in Recovery mode).
    If that doesn't help then it's time for a Factory Reset - there are just too many other variables to try to narrow down your problem, unless you can be more specific about what happened 4 days ago when the problem started.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

There are a number of suggestions in this thread. Have you tried any of them? If not, that's where to start.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

So.. where to start.
    I bought my SGS3 in september. It's an international version (GT-I9300 ..XXEMA2). Phone never dropped, never had contact with water, used and handled with care. It used to work just perfect untill i think February, when if first time freezed.
    I was playing some kind of game (not a heavy one) and it jsut competely stopped responding to anything, so my only option was to remove the battery and restart. After that it work quite a long time without any flaws. In late May, I guess (I can't quite remember exactly) it started to just freeze like once in a week or so. By the end of June is started to freeze like 5-10 times a day, then it got even worse, after reebot I had like 3-5 minutes before it will freeze again. It doesn't really matter how I use the phone. I can play games and it will freeze, browse, text, or just put it in my pocket and when I need it it's frozen. So I've read alot (and I mean ALOT) of stuff aboit it including this thread.
    Tried everything. First I wiped out the cache, didn't help whatsoever, then I swithced to basic TouchWiz (from Nova) just in case, didn't help either. I tried removing all widgets (thought maybe RAM was overused) that didn't help too. Erased the Facebook app, cause somebody told that it may cause the problem, still freezing. Then my only option was to Factory reset. Didn't back up anything (except for pictures, that I didn't even put back on the phone anyway) and reseted it. For first day it was working nice and clean. The other day it started freezing again and I even didn't dowload anytning. So I skipped the part "reinstall one-by-one.." cause it's still freezing, so there's no point of that. But it surely reduced the amount of freezes..
    So my only hope was rooting. Yesterday I've rooted it to CyanogenMod 10.1 (which is android 4.2) thought updating to later version will help me, but sadly no. Phone is working nice and smooth (when not freezing) but it have frozen for like 3 times already and you can't rely on it. When I pick it up it's like a dice game will it respond or not.

As long as anything from these tips didn't help should I consider unrooting it and take it to service?

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

P.S. I would also like to know (just out of curiosity) whenever i have to remove the battery or do hard reset it drains like 5-20% of a battery. Even if I restart immediately after freezing today it jumped all the way from 29 straight to 10. I wonder what's that about..
    Last edited by Hopeless One; 07-31-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Unrooting (relocking the bootloader if necessary) and reloading the correct firmware, then taking it in for service sound like your best bet.
    After the Factory Reset did the Google Play Store automatically install your previous apps? (I thought that was the default behavior.) If so, you still may have a problem app/service.
    P.S. Disregard the weird battery stats - with your phone freezing like that all bets are off on the accuracy of that data - it's probably being corrupted.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Well, play store tried to install them back, but I stopped it. Actually, just for giggles I've factory reseted the rooted firmware and it actually works for like 5 hours without any mistakes or freezing whatsoever (yea I know it sounds kinda cheesy but it's actually an accomplishment for my phone). I think, I'll stick with this one and will try to monitor stuff. If I'll stumble across the possible issue, I'll mos def will post it here, so maybe it would be help full..

P.S. Is it possible that programs which used to work just perfect before, could now be an issue?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by Hopeless One; 07-31-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Update Aug. 1 2013 13:44
    So I've started installing apps one by one and it seems like whichever app I install it freezes. It doesn't really matter which one. And even without the apps its still freezing. Like once in 3-5 hours but is still freezing. The phone is now at least somewhat useful, but not a whole lot.. So I guess my only option now is to unroot and take it to the service.. It's gotta be the hardware failure.. If anyone ever sent their phones to the service, could you please tell me approximately time it took to get your phone back?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by Hopeless One; 08-01-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Well here comes the conclusion.. If you were unlucky enough to get your sgs3 freezing and you're still under warranty period (no matter root or not), I'd suggest you to take the phone to the service. Trust me on that one. I tried to fix it on my own being a smart kid, but as a result I've lost couple of days trying to figure it out, rooting/unrooting, factory reset, being scared of bricking and stuff.

Posted via Android Central App from Samsung Galaxy S3

Do you have an SD card installed? If so, try removing it and see what happens.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I had, but removed it after surfed thorough these forums and it didn't change anything.
    Oh and another thing. Now my SGS3 crashes every other application when I close it. I just push "back" button and exit from app, phone freezes for a brief moment and then comes back to life with message: unfortunatelly "whichever app I used" stopped responding.

Edit: 5.8.13
    Now phone works just perfect. I have installed every single app I had, to make it freeze, when I'll take it to the service, so I could show them. But oddly enough it's working just fine. 38 hours and still counting. Thinking of rooting again..

Posted via Android Central App from a Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last edited by Hopeless One; 08-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless One View Post
    Edit: 5.8.13
    Now phone works just perfect. I have installed every single app I had, to make it freeze, when I'll take it to the service, so I could show them. But oddly enough it's working just fine. 38 hours and still counting. Thinking of rooting again..
    Did it start just working out of no where or did you do something else to it?
    I'm having the exact same problem you had except I haven't done a factory reset yet. I did the Dummy File thing, flashed different roms, restored older roms, deleted cache, deleted touchwiz cache, deleted apps, removed sd, everything.

I'm minutes from smashing it.

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin187 View Post
    Did it start just working out of no where or did you do something else to it?
    I'm having the exact same problem you had except I haven't done a factory reset yet. I did the Dummy File thing, flashed different roms, restored older roms, deleted cache, deleted touchwiz cache, deleted apps, removed sd, everything.

I'm minutes from smashing it.
    Well actually it worked for like 56 hours and then started to freeze again. So I stopped trying to fix it and just undrooted it and took it back to the service. It seems like there's nothing that can help with it and almost every SGS3 bought in autumn 2012 has these problems. When I'll get my phone back (or replaced) I'll tell you what was causing the problem (I'll ask that in the service) and will tell you here, so maybe some thech guys can figure the way out. I'd suggest you to take it to the service. Factory reset won't do much, but still try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless One View Post
    Well actually it worked for like 56 hours and then started to freeze again. So I stopped trying to fix it and just undrooted it and took it back to the service. It seems like there's nothing that can help with it and almost every SGS3 bought in autumn 2012 has these problems. When I'll get my phone back (or replaced) I'll tell you what was causing the problem (I'll ask that in the service) and will tell you here, so maybe some thech guys can figure the way out. I'd suggest you to take it to the service. Factory reset won't do much, but still try it.
    Cool, thanks man. I'm just trying to avoid taking it in to a service center as I believe it may have fallen off the back of a lorry and will probably cost me a bit to fix. But I suppose it'll still be cheaper than buying a new phone.

Please keep us updated.
    Cheers

Angry screen freeze due to the Launcher Pro

No help.This happens when I use Launcher pro with widgets.
    Last edited by hoamyj; 08-23-2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: N/A

So after what seemed like forever I got my phone back. Now it has completely replaced motherboard, integrated flash and Motor Linear Vibration. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, but I live in Czech Republic and all documents are in Czech, so this is how I understand it. I also had a chat with a technician in service and he told me, that it was motherboard's failure and if you don't have a spare motherboard there's no luck in fixing it on your own. And also he said, that almost every SGS3 that has been bought in autumn 2012 has these sort of problems. For some people memory chip is going down, for others whole motherboard. Sorry to say, but you gotta take it to the service, there's no other way (of course if you tried all the suggestions listed here and they didn't help).

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin187 View Post
    Cool, thanks man. I'm just trying to avoid taking it in to a service center as I believe it may have fallen off the back of a lorry and will probably cost me a bit to fix. But I suppose it'll still be cheaper than buying a new phone.

Please keep us updated.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Hopeless One; 09-01-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Hopeless One,
    Thanks for the follow up - so many people don't bother letting us know what worked for them so that others can learn from their experience.

Hope your phone remains troublefree. :thumbup:

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Hey, i had the same problem. It was few months ago when my s3 started freezing out of blue. I guess it was not enough so it decided to fry two SD cards and turn off for no reason. It recovered by itself after few days. But what really helps when some problems (battery loss, freezing, turning off) starts is catche clen. This helped me a lot of times, well like now after the android update. Just the frying thing i cant figure it out, so im still without sd card. I must say this phone is really trouble-ish, my friends have s2 and have no issues.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123