App 2 SD (And Similar applications)

runer112

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I have an international GS3 and I bought an Micro SD card for it. Lets face it, the default 16 GB isn't that helpful when a 2 minute video is 200 MB or more.

So I heard about the App: App2SD

App2SD on Google Play

It doesn't work.

Apparently the GS3 treats the SD card as an imaginary memory or something.

Is there a solution for this? I heard about using an app to flip-flop the usage of the SD card and the internal memory but I am kinda worried so I am not using such thing.

Thoughts?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
app2sd is for moving apps to sd card but the s3 (and galaxy nexus) use memory in a new better way. the internal memory is named "sd card" and its one big box of memory for everything. the s3 wont read apps from eternal sd card but its easy to move music and vids to "ext sd card" using the MyFiles app on ur s3 mate

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Put your media on the SD card... and load your apps on the phone itself.

aye 16gb is PLENTY for apps. im an appaholic but i really cant see me running out of memory. its like having a laptop from 8 years ago with a better screen than the average tv that fits in ur pocket :)

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site
aye 16gb is PLENTY for apps. im an appaholic but i really cant see me running out of memory. its like having a laptop from 8 years ago with a better screen than the average tv that fits in ur pocket :)

16gb is not plenty. And the S3 doesn't have 16 usable GB. It only has 12gb you can actually use.
Now, when you have games like NOVA3 that take up 2gb, all by itself, well you get the idea. And if you root and want to use Titanium Backup, there goes between 2 and 5gb of space. So I have 2 apps and I have already eaten up half my available memory. And apps are only going to get larger in size as time goes on.

runer112

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
16gb is not plenty. And the S3 doesn't have 16 usable GB. It only has 12gb you can actually use.
Now, when you have games like NOVA3 that take up 2gb, all by itself, well you get the idea. And if you root and want to use Titanium Backup, there goes between 2 and 5gb of space. So I have 2 apps and I have already eaten up half my available memory. And apps are only going to get larger in size as time goes on.

Thats pretty much my situation, media is entirely on my memory card while apps are on my internal memory. Sadly games like Asphalt 6 and the sims take like 1 GB each. Does it look like there might be a solution for the problem in the near future?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I doubt they'll b a fix. Google is doing with apps 2 a ext SD card less secure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Jesslynh

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I wish they would fix this. Why do they even include room for an SD card if you have to twist yourself around to USE it? Stupid. I'm sitting here with a 32GB SD card that they are making impossible to use. I am reading the info on Titanium Backup and I think they have a way to use with more automation.

...sigh....

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
its not really a case of "fixing", its designed that way.. look at the Nexus', they have no expandible memory. google want us to use internal memory for apps and the cloud for media.. unfortunately most data allowance make that impossible.. we should actualy be happy we have an sd slot... the HTC One X doesnt...
..who knows, maybe google will give us free data in the future..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I wish they would fix this. Why do they even include room for an SD card if you have to twist yourself around to USE it? Stupid. I'm sitting here with a 32GB SD card that they are making impossible to use. I am reading the info on Titanium Backup and I think they have a way to use with more automation.

...sigh....

its not really a case of "fixing", its designed that way.. look at the Nexus', they have no expandible memory. google want us to use internal memory for apps and the cloud for media.. unfortunately most data allowance make that impossible.. we should actualy be happy we have an sd slot... the HTC One X doesnt...

He's right...it's not broken. It's designed to work that way. In the old days, internal storage cards were partitioned into two pieces: the "system" partition for the OS and for installing apps (which was usually a very small amount of space), and a larger "storage" partition for storing files. They were partitioned separately so that you could unmount the internal storage from the phone, mount it to the computer like a hard drive, and transfer files. But people complained that they were running out of room on the phone for apps. It happened to me with my Captivate, and it was very frustrating. Because of this restriction, they allowed moving apps to SD cards...so you no longer had to worry about running out of installation space.

So they started making the phone's storage as ONE partition, for apps and media. This means you have the full amount of space on the phone for installing apps. It also means that we lost the ability to (1) mount the phone like a hard drive (because if you unmount the partition from the phone, then you unmount the system and the phone doesn't work at all), and (2) lost the ability to move apps to the SD card. It's a trade-off. Now, with the full space of the phone memory available to apps, you shouldn't need to move any to the SD card. Of course, if you are in the habit of downloading 2GB games, then yes, you might run out of room. But huge games aside, it really would take an unreasonable number of apps to fill your storage. So they removed the option of moving apps to the SD card, because for 99% of the people out there, it just wasn't necessary any more.

If you have an SD card, and you're still running out of space on the phone's internal storage, it's probably time for you to do a little house cleaning. I have like 300+ apps on my phone and a bunch of space eaten up by podcasts that I haven't gotten around to listening to yet, and I'm only using 6 of the available 12 GB of space. I put all my music and movies on the SD card, and dump my camera roll periodically. You can also set your camera to save to the SD card to save space on the internal storage.

It's a better, more efficient use of the phone's resources, and it's not going to change (aka "get fixed").

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yup, take a look at your "miscillanious" section of storage lol...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, free data. That's going to happen.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, free data. That's going to happen.

I believe theyr experimenting with it in a US town (could be wrong)

Google are rolling out free home broadband in Kansas btw.
They make their money from recording our net habits so its not out of the question...

Unbranded Official TW s3.Paisley,Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Still not holding my breath. :)

They make their money from recording our net habits so its not out of the question...

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, it's called Wi-Fi. Lol. I haven't heard of any "free data" here. We do have prepaid companies that gives you unlimited everything for 40 U.S. dollars a month. Which is CHEAP. We for thru US cellular, we both have android phones with 5gb of data each, and we pay 171 a month!! We don't go near that much data, but the next step down is 2 and I use about 3. My husband doesn't even use 1. And really mine probably isn't even at 3 anymore since damn near everywhere has free Wi-Fi now.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Me too. Asthmatic that is. If I held my breath I'd surely die waiting for free data. Used to be that there were more "dumb" phones at the phone place but now you can hardly find a dumb phone. Cell Phone companies want the money for data so why would they want to sell you a phone that doesn't require data?
Bleep that, im asthmatic ;)