After factory reset, app settings didn't restore!

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
After the factory reset, it went through the initial phone setup.

I logged in to google as me, left both check marks checked for back & restore

Gmail worked.

I went into the play store and downloaded ICE (in case of emergency). The emergency contacts were not there when I opened the app.

I downloaded MeContacts and same thing: blank: my speed dial peeps were not there.

Did I do something wrong?

Where's my app data???

Mike

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
App data doesn't get backed up unless you are rooted and use titanium backup or another similar app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
what he said. You have to be rooted and using a special back up so like titanium to actually back up the data inside the app. Sorry.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
doh. sorry but im glad u were the guinnae pig Pc mate. now i wont reset unless i have to. what happened with your Go Launcher settings backup?

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I told you in another thread you made that they wouldn't.

Speaking of which, let's try and keep this all to one thread. I don't mind helping but if you make a thread every time you have a question you bump down others who have issues as well. ;)

Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about the multiple threads.

I'm still in shock that despite the impression in settings | backup and reset | "automatic restore: when reinstalling an application , backed up settings and data will be restored"

Why does everyone keep saying you need to be rooted and running titanium. It clearly suggests that the S3 is supposed to do this native.

What gives?

Mike

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Titanium is a much better back up than anything Samsung claims to have. And in order to allow titanium to access all the files it needs you need to allow it root access.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
After Mr. Google and Samsung let me down my not restoring app data & settings, I briefly entertained Rooting expressly and for the sole purpose of doing backups.

It is such a pain to re-install everything and get things back the way they were.

If I had a hardware problem and got my unit swapped, I'd be VERY UPSET!

I'm still in shock my settings and app data didn't come back on my very same S3 (we're not talking different device ID's or anything)

Mike

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah its really annoying man havin to get everythin set up properly and ur right the s3 does give u the impression that its backing everything up. at least we know now. unfortunately u had to find out for me mate :(

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
After Mr. Google and Samsung let me down my not restoring app data & settings, I briefly entertained Rooting expressly and for the sole purpose of doing backups.

It is such a pain to re-install everything and get things back the way they were.

If I had a hardware problem and got my unit swapped, I'd be VERY UPSET!

I'm still in shock my settings and app data didn't come back on my very same S3 (we're not talking different device ID's or anything)

Mike

The reason you read so many of us suggesting TiBU is because we know it works. This tool has been used for a very long time and is reliable.

What exactly did this backup/reset option backup? Seems to me like it would have only backed up .apks, contacts, maybe photos and texts.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Based on this screen shot , this was a total fail or completely misleading.

I should not have to root my phone in order to get a backup.

Are there no pc side apps that can read the phone and make an image backup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
BTW, after an hour of fussing with my settings last night after the factory reset, I did spend about 20 minutes browsing around to get a sense of what's involved in rooting.

I think going down that path just for backup is a bad idea for me.

There's really no other reason why I would want to root.

And, I don't want to mess up my chance to use google wallet when it is avail on ATT

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Just root and use titanium backup. Highly recommend the paid version, worth the 7 bucks. Problem solved

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
yes that menu is extremely misleading and it unfortunately only backs up some Google settings. Assuming you are saving all contacts to your gmail account and not directly to the phone after a factory reset the only setting I ever see come back are, wireless SSID's, contacts, and a couple other Android specific settings. Apps associate to my Play account then usually start auto downloading and installing.

As for Keis, I am not sure what specifically that backs up as I never had any success with it on older phones.

This is pretty much the only feature from my iPhone days that I kinda miss. The ability to back up all apps and settings for the phone to itunes was nice in the event the phone died. I still hope Google addresses this eventually. Could be a very convenient use of Google Drive if there was a non-rooted way to autobackup, or scheduled backup of my phone and app settings. I would think google would have to build something into the SDK though to allow app settings to be stored in the same place for every app so that a backup app could easily grab it and back it up. that would reduce storage needed and how much is uploaded and the apk would just redownload to the phone from the play store after a reset.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon