1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need to safely remove hardware or just pull out USB?

I connected my S3 to my windows 7 pc.

I am able to copy files to and from the phone.

When done, can I just yank out the USB plug?

Thanks,

Mike

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Yes just remove usb cable
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Need to safely remove hardware or just pull out USB?

Thanks!

Consider it yanked!

Mike

I'm an IT Tech and used to always just pull the cable. I don't do that anymore though. In rare instances you can corrupt the sd file system. Sometimes it doesn't corrupt but windows keeps reporting it as needing a scan to correct it. You can cancel the pop up and just go about your business but it is annoying. Always eject/safely remove the device first, trust me.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

For me on Windows 7 64 Bit there is no "safely remove hardware" for my S III. Unlike mass storage mode with other USB devices, it seems like it's ok to remove it without ejecting first. I figured this was a feature of MTP since the card isn't actually "mounted".

@Jeffreii - the card is always "mounted" per se. With Windows 7 simply right click the drive letter and choose "Eject".

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    I'm an IT Tech and used to always just pull the cable. I don't do that anymore though. In rare instances you can corrupt the sd file system. Sometimes it doesn't corrupt but windows keeps reporting it as needing a scan to correct it. You can cancel the pop up and just go about your business but it is annoying. Always eject/safely remove the device first, trust me.

Rev.
    the S3 doesnt identify itself as an external storage to windows although you still have all the functionality so you dont get the 'safely remove usb' option

i have used the S3 on both vista and windows7 and its the same way, so yanking is the only option u have with the GS3
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

I always use "Safely Remove Hardware".

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    I always use "Safely Remove Hardware".
    Same here. It's 2 extra clicks and 3 extra seconds.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM

@Jeffreii - the card is always "mounted" per se. With Windows 7 simply right click the drive letter and choose "Eject".

Rev.
    I'd have to read up on the technical details behind MTP mounting...but I believe that there's no "safely remove hardware" because of the way it's "mounted".

I believe the danger in removing most UMS devices is that, as mounted drives, Windows can continue performing processes on them in the background. If you don't eject them before removing, those processes can be interrupted and the file system can become corrupted.

If no processes are allowed to be run in the background, which I think is the case with MTP, that danger is not there. Again, I haven't done significant research on this so I could be wrong.

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

The S3 uses media transfer protocol (MTP) there is no option to eject the drive, simply unplug your USB cable.

I didn't see the option on my pc so I always pull out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by walcolm View Post
    the S3 doesnt identify itself as an external storage to windows although you still have all the functionality so you dont get the 'safely remove usb' option

i have used the S3 on both vista and windows7 and its the same way, so yanking is the only option u have with the GS3
    If there was a "safely remove option", I totally would have done that.

But, I agree: if there isn't a safely remove option, then that's all you can do.

It's not like I'm going to shut down my desktop to remove the USB cable.

Mike

Theoretically you should "Safely Remove It"... but I never do it. I typically just unplug the phone. Just make sure there isn't any IUSB based operation going on so that you don't corrupt any data.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM

In Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit there is neither the "safely remove device" in the tray nor the "eject" option when right clicking the device or individual cards (phone/sdcard) in My Computer.

As such I don't think it's even possible without turning off the computer. As per my previous post I think MTP does not need to be safely removed and is designed to be unplugged at any time without risk.
    Thanked by:
    pcguys 

Its a better option to safely remove device. When you always yank the plug your sd card might be damaged.

Default Re: Understand your concern...

On my Vista machine there is no Safely Remove option for the phone so I searched the web for a solution - couldn't find one - and then checked the manual that came with the S3. Just says to disconnect the cable. See page 108 of the manual.

isabel

Rev.

Going on nearly 9+ years of just unplugging devices without "safely ejecting". Have yet to corrupt anything including memory cards, digital cameras, hard drives, flash drives, etc.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

When going between Mac OS and Windows, you have to safely remove device or else the Mac OS will give you a warning.

Afraid of losing data, I went back to a PC and safely removed it then put it back on a Mac without problems.

I would be happy to use "Safely Remove" in my Vista system, but no such option appears when I right click on the Phone "drive".

Only option would be to shut down the computer as far as I can see.

Isabel

Quote Originally Posted by lbkiml View Post
    When going between Mac OS and Windows, you have to safely remove device or else the Mac OS will give you a warning.

Afraid of losing data, I went back to a PC and safely removed it then put it back on a Mac without problems.

Careful... All this talk about "yanking, mounting, and pulling out" might get you in trouble at work or with the Mrs.

Thumbs down Re: Need to safely remove hardware or just pull out USB?

@Madness87: That doesn't mean it is good advice. You are obviously careful about when you remove it and take care not to interrupt a critical action. Many who ask these questions don't have your knowledge. Saying that here is a like telling a little kid: "I cross in the middle of the street whenever I want to." Not nice.

All these people saying they always "safely remove" clearly don't have an S3 running ICS or JB on a Windows system. As many have already stated, that option doesn't exist when using MTP. Just don't yank the cable in the middle of an operation when you're moving data to or from the phone (SD card or otherwise).

Edit: it occurs to me that OS's prior to Windows 7 might not understand what MTP is, and still offer the eject option. If your computer does offer this option, it's probably not a bad idea to use it, since your OS may not be smart enough to avoid background writes.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

When I right click the drive there is no eject option. Windows 7 64 bit Pro

I recently set up a new machine with Windows 7 and found that when you have a usb device plugged in there is an icon on the taskbar which looks like a usb connector.. If you hover over that you will see "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Click on it and you will see your usb devices listed.
    You can also see that you don't have to fear removing some devices without doing the safely remove thing by looking for a default in device manager - read about it here: