My S3 wont charge at all?!

serrro

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

After a long Saturday night, I forgot to charge my phone before I slept. When I woke up this morning, I saw that the battery was dead so I plugged my phone for charging but it wont charge at all!

When I plug my phone, the usual battery(charging) graphic with a circle in it appears on the screen. I waited for a while and tried to turn my device on but no success. I use the charger which comes with the phone. I tried my flatmates htc charger as well but it was the same scenario..

I left the phone on charge for two hours now but still I cant turn it on. Same icon appears on the screen and it goes dead again.

I pulled the battery out and back again couple of times andd try to charge it but it didnt work.

Any ideas and cure?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Try pulling the battery out, simply blow a bit on the gold leads on the battery and in the housing, just to make sure all is okay, connect back to your charger but use a different wall jack to plug your phone in this time, just to verify it's not where your connecting to that maybe isn't giving you the correct voltage for your charge. Take note as it charges if the graph shows change, the green filling up, and try to let it get to about 50% of that, then try to turn it on still connected once you hit that mark.. If during the time your charging that green never fills up, it could be a battery issue, but for now try that and see how it goes and post when you can... Good luck..

Sisterworld

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I've got the same problem. Two weeks ago I was only able to charge the phone when I plugged it into the charger when turned off. But today even this isn't working anymore. When I plug it in the battery graphic appears but the circle isn't spinning and when the graphic is gone after 1-2 seconds the screens goes black and nothing happens... it doesn't charge, just dead! :(

serrro

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
@r3ddawn

I did what you said but same result.

@Sisterworld

we have exactly the same problem. It cant be confidence. I had a firmware update recently and I am suspecting that could be the reason.

Did you update your phone to 4.0.4 as well?

Sisterworld

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
@serrro

I didn't have a firmware update recently, but I was running on 4.0.4 too.
I tried everything and I think that I have to claim the warranty as I cannot charge the phone at all and bring it back to life. :(

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The only other thing I would try is using a different battery, maybe someone else that has an S3, or going to the store where you got it from, and simply trying another battery they have to verify it's not a phone issue. If this just happened out of the blue with no modifications made to the phone, all I can think of is a bad battery, maybe a problem with the micro usb connection port where it will not allow a charge, or last, some where on the phone went bad, but your stating your seeing the graphic when connecting, so I'm not sure it is that. Simply try to get your hands on another battery, to verify if it is the battery that is causing the problem.. Good luck, keep me posted!!

serrro

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I went to Vodafone store today to test a different battery and charger as r3ddawn
suggested but the result was same. We tried a brand new battery with a new wall charger but still could not manage to bring the phone back alive. The problem was on the charging port of the device.

The interesting part was that the advisor told me they have received two other s3 with the same problem recently. So, we decided to send the phone to a Samsung repair centre.

The advisor told me the repaired phone will be back on Monday.

I will keep you updated.

Take care

dannybodji

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
hi,i had the same problem and tried my dad's battery and it worked but yet mine wasn't charging at all,when i read in serrro's post that the problem was a faulty charging port i just blew in the port and bingo..

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
It's probably a charging port issue.it's easy for the tiny contact pin to slide beneath the charging hole rather than into it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

rupertlovibond

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
hi guys.
have any of you tried letting the battery run down to under 10% and then charging from a laptop/pc. So far, when i do this it is chargeable from the wall again for about a week. I got this idea from a youtube clip. A short term measure, hopefully most of you have insurance.
Rupert

warrick1989

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
my girlfriends phone did the same. i was playing around with it, and remember how my ipod did the same thing (apple ways though) and remembered the reset method, on the s3 i pushed the button on the bottom on the screen and power button at the same time wile still on charged i did this a few times and it come up with some software, there was a waring though if you accept it, it may damage aps/ files, i clicked declined and know my girlfriend has stopped annoying me and glued her self to her phone :) update after i think

warrick1989

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

After a long Saturday night, I forgot to charge my phone before I slept. When I woke up this morning, I saw that the battery was dead so I plugged my phone for charging but it wont charge at all!

When I plug my phone, the usual battery(charging) graphic with a circle in it appears on the screen. I waited for a while and tried to turn my device on but no success. I use the charger which comes with the phone. I tried my flatmates htc charger as well but it was the same scenario..

I left the phone on charge for two hours now but still I cant turn it on. Same icon appears on the screen and it goes dead again.

my girlfriends phone did the same. i was playing around with it, and remember how my ipod did the same thing (apple ways though) and remembered the reset method, on the s3 i pushed the button on the bottom on the screen and power button at the same time wile still on charged i did this a few times and it come up with some software, there was a waring though if you accept it, it may damage aps/ files, i clicked declined and know my girlfriend has stopped annoying me and glued her self to her phone update after i think

once i fixed it i thought i would serch the problem and since i didnt see any cures so i thought ill spread the cure haha

I pulled the battery out and back again couple of times andd try to charge it but it didnt work.

Any ideas and cure?

Thanks in advance

Amitras

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem as serro...me device had warranty,,,so i send them my device,,,they said my device is rooted and it is out of warranty and its price would be about 500$,,,its to much for me becaus i have bought my device 3 month ago for 800$!!!and im not sure that they have recognized my device's problem correctly... plese help...im not sure whether i give them money and let them to repair my device or not!!!
(im not from an english language country...forgive me i had mistakes in my words)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
your english is perfect :)
is the phone rooted?
id try putting a friends charged battery in, unroot it, then send it away.

cant you get the phone to switch on with battery and charger in even though its not charging.
you can pull battery out with charger in and it keeps running so thats why i ask

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Amitras

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
thank you
yesterday i took my device some where to fix my device( i tought my battery is slept) they chocked my battery,,,and put it in my device,,but it didnt work,,,so they conected my device to power source...device turned on..but it just showed galaxy siii about 8 minuets,,,and any thing else didnt happen...when i brought my device home...again it dead...neither turned on...nor charged...so i took that to guarranty...and they said the things that I said in the Previous post .
i think that my phon is not rooted,,,becaus when i bought it ,it wasnt root,,,and i didnt need too root it in this three month,,,, but they said that my device is rooted,,,when i said that it isnt root...they said ..oh ...so you have used internet,,,and you have installed some application which has hurted your device,,,and they said it might your hardware is damaged...
now they are cheking my device,,,and they are going to tell me what is happend to my device until next hour...
honestly...im from an asian country...and every body just think about money...I think maybe my device's problem is not so big,,,and it would not cost 500$...but they just want to earn money...so I cant trust them...I dont know what to do...

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
good luck bro.
just keep pressuring them.
if they wont fix it under guarante then an independant phone repair shop will probably do it cheaper.
again, good luck :thumbup:

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an Android programmer but I know enough to be dangerous - it sounds like they are giving you the run around because they don't want to honor the warranty.
1. If your phone was not rooted to begin with then I can't imagine any app that you could download from the Internet that would totally screw it up - an app would need root privileges to do serious damage to the operating system
2. Even if your phone was rooted, the worst that could happen is that downloading 'bad' software would screw up the SOFTWARE on the phone; it shouldn't have any effect on the HARDWARE, which is what controls the charging functionality
Edit: if the device won't turn on at all, they'd have to be psychic to determine that it's rooted.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an Android programmer but I know enough to be dangerous - it sounds like they are giving you the run around because they don't want to honor the warranty.
1. If your phone was not rooted to begin with then I can't imagine any app that you could download from the Internet that would totally screw it up - an app would need root privileges to do serious damage to the operating system
2. Even if your phone was rooted, the worst that could happen is that downloading 'bad' software would screw up the SOFTWARE on the phone; it shouldn't have any effect on the HARDWARE, which is what controls the charging functionality
Edit: if the device won't turn on at all, they'd have to be psychic to determine that it's rooted.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

yeah it being rooted prob has nothin to do with the problem but its a get out clause for sammy.
thats why id use another battery to unroot it ;)

Linda O

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: My S3 wont hold a charge for more than 4 hours

I unplugged my phone when the charge reached 100% but within 4 hours with no use it dropped to 15%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21