Lowest battery use regarding wi-fi

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello:

Again, I have used the search feature and found scads of threads NOT about what I typed in. So, first I need a link to secret tips that make the search engine work.

Ok, after that, my real question. I am told (oh yeah, android newbie here) I am told that wi-fi can use up a battery quickly? I think it may be due to it searching for wi-fi all the time? In any case, I want to be on wi-fi at home and work as much as possible to use as little data as possible. With that said, what can I do with settings to minimize the power. I notice that even when I am connected at home, then I open the wifi window it seems to be scanning for other wifi channels every thirty seconds. Wondering if this eats battery, and if there is a way to say, "hey, once your connected to a dependable wifi, stop looking".

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I believe it only looks when you are on the wifi setup screen. I turn off wifi when I'm away from a connection, but I don't see it draining the battery any more than mobile data. I believe it uses less battery than 4G.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

_OMEGA_

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Wi-Fi uses less battery than 3G/4G. And as long as you're connected to your Wi-Fi it doesn't waste more battery trying to search for more networks.

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's just the info I was looking for. I was just concerned that while I was on the wifi setup screen that it kept scanning, and I wondered if it kept scanning even after I left that screen and what a waste of battery that would be.

So according to you two, once the S3 connects to a wifi, it stops looking for other wifi's, and as a result, does not use extra battery - so there is no need to look for some option on the phone that says "connect to this and then stop looking". Further you have added that wifi uses less battery than 3/4G which is good too. (Of course for me and many others it will be about data savings too.)

I also want to eventually use Tasker w/ NFC tags, so a better understanding of this was going to be helpful.

Thanks for your help.