Conclusion: S3 design is bland

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, I have had my phone since day one release in Canada. I love the colour (pebble blue) it goes nice with my purple case, however, I have to finally admit (after much consideration as to why I don't LOVE the phone (as such)), that I find the design lacks any sort of personality at all!

It is a good phone and so far has been trouble free, but I look at it and hell even sometimes I pick it up upside down because when not directly looking at the device the audio grate and the home button look interchangeable!

Sometimes I have even pressed the damn ear piece instead of the home button! Anyone else do this?

I have to admit, I even liked the Nexus form factor much more.

The phone is great so far, I am just not warmed to the design at all....

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I personally love the design especially the way it has a slight curve at the top and bottom edge of the glass. Just remember the camera is at the top and you'll never make that mistake again...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Ya know, I have had my phone since day one release in Canada. I love the colour (pebble blue) it goes nice with my purple case, however, I have to finally admit (after much consideration as to why I don't LOVE the phone (as such)), that I find the design lacks any sort of personality at all!

It is a good phone and so far has been trouble free, but I look at it and hell even sometimes I pick it up upside down because when not directly looking at the device the audio grate and the home button look interchangeable!

Sometimes I have even pressed the damn ear piece instead of the home button! Anyone else do this?

I have to admit, I even liked the Nexus form factor much more.

The phone is great so far, I am just not warmed to the design at all....

IMO it's not necessarily bland, but lazy.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess it depends upon what you are accustomed to and from where you came. I have seen many iPhone users come over to the S3 and rave about its design and capability. I myself came from a BB Torch so the phone is superb to me. Many people have come from the HTC One X and really prefer the S3. I have heard a lot of gripes on the AC podcast about the home button and the power button location. I personally prefer the power button location and find the home button very useful. I like you have attempted to push the audio grate but that does not bother me whatsoever. Since you liked the Nexus better, what prompted you to move to the S3? I like the 2GB of RAM and External SD card more than the instant JB gratification. My assumption is that we will get JB within a few months and so I decided not trade a lower level camera and no external storage for a few years for instant JB gratification.

But as Dennis Miller always used to say after a rant: "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong..."

Mike

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE the design and everything about the phone!! I am constantly taking the phone out of its case and gazing at the curves and beauty that are otherwise obstructed by the case. If we all loved the same things, we'd be robots! :).....Kind of like.........oh, nevermind! :D

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm just the opposite. I love the design. Coming from a slew of black phones that look like small bricks, I love how clean the White looks, and it certainly stands out when I have it out at the bar. I catch people looking at it all of the time, and some brave souls even come over to ask about it.

No, for me personally it's been a great change, and a welcome one.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I too love the design. Sexy as hell. Well, assuming hell is as sexy as something extremely sexy, which I assume it is.

I find the square block of the iPhone extremely bland. And for that matter, my old HTC Evo. I love the curves of the SIII

Reactions: Uncle Louie

mjs1124

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a great looking phone also. It's funny because an awful lot of the people who say the S3 is boring and uninspired are Nexus owners who think that a plain black slab is beautiful. I like the home button too. I find myself using it to turn the phone on depending on how I pick up the phone. I know it breaks one of the commandments of the Holy Google Bible by not having on screen buttons, but I like it. I never thought I would buy a Samsung phone, but they have won me over.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a great design. I'm MUCH happier with it than I was with my Droid X. Different strokes for different folks I guess. As far as personality is concerned I've said it before. It's a phone not a fashion accessory!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Meh. The best thing I like about the design is that it drops all the pretense and gets out of the way. Allowing the user to just use the phone.

-Suntan

Princesa

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
lol I've pressed the ear piece a few times instead of the home button when I 1st got it!

Otherwise I'm used to it now and luv the phone design.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I just got my sexy garnet red GS3 a few days ago and agree with most here that it's very beautiful and also has a very premium feel and look (in red anyway). My biggest problem is with the stock email app and the outdoor screen visibility. This thing is FAST and the Swiftkey keyboard makes the iOS keyboard look silly as does most of the other great FREE apps in the market. But I think the design is VERY nice in all ways including the removable battery and microSD slot for up to 64 gigs extra storage!

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I do not like the design at all and that's one of the reason I steer away from samsung. Working in a professional business environment I like the simple looking design and sturdy feel of a HTC phone. It's just personal preference though no real winner. The home button really has no need and the shape of it leaves something to be desired.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I Since you liked the Nexus better, what prompted you to move to the S3? I like the 2GB of RAM and External SD card more than the instant JB gratification. My assumption is that we will get JB within a few months and so I decided not trade a lower level camera and no external storage for a few years for instant JB gratification.

But as Dennis Miller always used to say after a rant: "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong..."

Mike

I came over to the S3 from iP4. I like all of the guts and screen, just find that the front of the phone looks too symetrical and has no real defining personality, I know it sounds strange. I like the phone well enough.... just have not warmed up to the form factor...

Can't have everything eh?

Hard to explain what it was about the Nexus design that I liked, but I did haha! people are strange no?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
its a very very popular phone (which the rebel in me hates) so no matter how radicle it looked, it would never look unique but the good thing about the popularity is all the accesories. ive got a carbon fibre effect skin ordered and theres some really nice cases :)

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I do not like the design at all and that's one of the reason I steer away from samsung. Working in a professional business environment I like the simple looking design and sturdy feel of a HTC phone. It's just personal preference though no real winner. The home button really has no need and the shape of it leaves something to be desired.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
I have been on a few Executive level meetings since getting this phone and I have either seen someone else with one or someone has asked me about mine. To say this is not a professional looking phone makes no sense.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been on a few Executive level meetings since getting this phone and I have either seen someone else with one or someone has asked me about mine. To say this is not a professional looking phone makes no sense.

Yeah, unless the phone is a pink Hello Kitty phone how does the S3 look unprofessional??

I find it funny and disturbing that the nitpicking has gotten this anal. If one finds the design boring why not have simply bought another device that suits your style requirements better?

Rev.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, unless the phone is a pink Hello Kitty phone how does the S3 look unprofessional??

I find it funny and disturbing that the nitpicking has gotten this anal. If one finds the design boring why not have simply bought another device that suits your style requirements better?

Rev.

Its because they have to prove to themselves that their phone is better thats why.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis