Any way to clear contents of clipboard?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at - a "Copy" action is normally followed by a "Paste" action. In some instances you'll also see the Clipboard, in which case you can pick the item from the clipboard that you want to paste (or you can clear the whole clipboard).
As far as selecting text that you want to copy - if you long-press on some text you'll usually get a set of markers that show up. At that point you can drag each marker to the beginning and end of the block that you want to copy/cut, and once you select the appropriate action you can then long-press in an empty space to bring up the "Paste" selection.uploadfromtaptalk1376731369805.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
You can usually manage the clipboard from the dialpad. Press and hold the number entry screen and you'll get paste/clipboard. Click clipboard and you can clear all from there. It's easiest for me to do things that way just because the dialpad is easily accessible and easy to remember. Other apps and I'm assuming most stock apps will allow you to access the clipboard as well, but--obviously--not all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

maggieo

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
GSder - DUH - Thank you! - those "markers" on new to me on this OS and it never dawned on me that I could drag them.. so totally "duh" and THANK YOU! Ray Maybry - Thank you also - I don't have a problem clearing the clipboard - but also that's not something I ever had to do w/my prev android os.. it would only store the most recent thing I copied I guess - pretty much like my computer (windows) does... but on the 4.2.2 I have to clear it each time - although maybe not until it fills up 20 or something - I found a place last night to clear the whole thing (I forget how - so thanks for your suggestion) - but I wish I could make it never store more than the most recentl thing I copied so I would never have to clear it.. If I can, great - if not - thanks for an easy way to clear it..

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
GSder - DUH - Thank you! - those "markers" on new to me on this OS and it never dawned on me that I could drag them.. so totally "duh" and THANK YOU! Ray Maybry - Thank you also - I don't have a problem clearing the clipboard - but also that's not something I ever had to do w/my prev android os.. it would only store the most recent thing I copied I guess - pretty much like my computer (windows) does... but on the 4.2.2 I have to clear it each time - although maybe not until it fills up 20 or something - I found a place last night to clear the whole thing (I forget how - so thanks for your suggestion) - but I wish I could make it never store more than the most recentl thing I copied so I would never have to clear it.. If I can, great - if not - thanks for an easy way to clear it..

You're welcome. I don't think there's really a way to have it clear itself automatically. There very well could be an app out there that does this, but I've found the clipboard holding th things that I copy to be helpful at times and haven't ever had the need to go looking for an app like that.

Unfortunately it looks like you are going to have to clear it manually, unless you can find an app to do it.

And also I can verify that at least on the Galaxy S3, restarting the phone doesn't clear the clipboard as others have suggested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Candice Mason

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue. Bring up the clipboard in a text message and press 'edit' on the right side. It will give you the option to delete or lock any note. Once you're finifhed editing, just press 'done' and you've edited your clipboard. Good luck!

maggieo

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... Good to know.. I guess I was just used to the buffer always just having the last thing in it - so you could always either "copy" - something new - or "paste" whatever was last in there.. now, every time I want to copy something, I have to delete or clear/whatever - what was already in there.. but - I can see how it can be beneficial also.. in the past you could always keep pasting - until you did your next "copy" - pretty much like windows I guess! anyway, thanks again!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
now, every time I want to copy something, I have to delete or clear/whatever - what was already in there.
Um, no - you don't have to clear anything out of the clipboard - just simply "copy" the new material and "paste" it wherever you want it. The old material still stays in the clipboard until you clear it manually (or until the clipboard gets full, but I don't know what that limitation is).

The only annoyances that I've found are:
- if I want to paste the last thing I copied more than once, I have lousy luck with getting the "Paste" prompt to show up again - seems like I usually have to go back and copy the source again
- the "Clipboard" prompt only shows up under limited circumstances, so if I want to paste something that I know is still in the clipboard, it's rare that I can get it to show up

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

Gabbie1960

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Try this:
Open a new, empty text message
Press and hold on the message area until Paste/Clipboard icon pops up
Press on the Clipboard option
All clipboard messages will pop up
Press and hold on the message you want to delete...the option to delete, etc., will pop up
Press your choice
My phone gives the option to clear all contents, some phones don't; so you may have to delete one at a time.

Heather Ward5

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
That only works for your SCHR, I know I had one. It does NOT work for HTC because you NEVER get the clipboard option. Instead of thinking ppl are foolish, you should know, NOT ALL PHONES WORK THE SAME!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or, if this is for passwords, use Keepass2Android Password Safe. It clears the password after about a minute. (You can also keep the password file [it's very heavily encrypted] in the cloud and use the same file for your phone, laptop, desktop, etc. Make a change on one and it'll be there on all the others.)

cheesyfer

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
you are clever!!!!!!!!!!!! i saw all the things in my clipboard and it was a loooooooooooooot! now i was able to erase all of it! thank you so much!

wwww qq

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi, you go to your message area (text area) and long press and choose clip tray then all the copied items will come out from there you see an icon on top keylock and trash or delete icon, choose delete and check on the box whatever you want ro delete or you can select all and press delete icon and wallaaaa your problems solved!

Jim_Lahey420

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: Any way to clear contents of clipboard on Galaxy S 3?

This is very frustrating. So far, nobody has posted a solution that works. I need to clear the clipboard, plain and simple. Something is on the clipboard. I want the clipboard to be blank. That is, if I hold my finger on the screen, I don't want the "Paste" to appear, meaning something is still on the clipboard. Is there no way to just clear the clipboard? I've tried holding on a blank space, but you are not given the option, then, to copy nothing, obviously. If you know how to clear the clipboard, please help me out, here. I'm on a S 3.

The way I do it is go into my "Memo" app and long press some blank space like you are going to paste some copied text. When the box pops up hit the "clipboard" option which will take you to your clipboard. From there you can delete all saved entries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa