Why should I want Jellybean?

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I was just about to root my international S3, but if Jellybean is arriving in a couple of weeks, I'll wait.

But I'm not sure what jellybean will do for me. I'm on ICS 4.04. What will JB add to my phone?

sfrrr

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
depends how technical minded u are mate. if u wana know all the ins and outs of it, watch the over 1hour vid of it bein announced on youtube :)

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Remains to be seen how Samsung implements it in the context of TW on the S3. I will say I was thinking about getting the Nexus 7 just for JB. But after trying it out at the store, I honestly can't tell that much of a difference between it and ICS on my Tab 7 Plus. Everyone was saying what a huge difference JB is to ICS but I just couldn't see it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Alex Dobie reviews the latest s3 jellybean build leak on this site. it does look pretty good. nothing seems to be missing from it

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Remains to be seen how Samsung implements it in the context of TW on the S3. I will say I was thinking about getting the Nexus 7 just for JB. But after trying it out at the store, I honestly can't tell that much of a difference between it and ICS on my Tab 7 Plus. Everyone was saying what a huge difference JB is to ICS but I just couldn't see it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

i think Google Now is a huge part of the difference and since the Nexus7 isnt realy mobile coz it doesnt have mobile data, and the fact that Google Now has to "learn" its owner so usin it on a display tablet, you wouldnt notice it. also you cant tell the difference Project Butter makes to a device unless you know what the device was like without it. its made the galaxy nexus as smooth as the s3 and its nowhere near as powerful. the expandable notifications is the main user-facing JB thing u would see on the Nexus7 and im lookin forward to them :)

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I've just finished reading the review, and I'm left with a big eh. I can get the same result, or better, by rooting and then flashing a custom ROM.

Does anyone know if anyone has figured out how to make JB accept installed-on-SD apps?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Smoothness, Google now, and expandable notifications. Other than the Notifications you can pretty much get anything else with root. I'm not waiting for jelly bean in reality. I'm waiting to see what roms will make out of jelly bean. Can't wait.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i really doubt that mate.
yeah of course if you wana take the root path youd probably be much better putting a vanilla JB rom on the s3. im growing to like touchwiz so il wait and see what the oficial update is like. if its bad then atleast there should be some good custom roms based on it and optimised for the s3. its win-win i think. i think its safe to say official s3 jb will be an improvement on official s3 ics :) (@sfrr)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Smoothness, Google now, and expandable notifications. Other than the Notifications you can pretty much get anything else with root. I'm not waiting for jelly bean in reality. I'm waiting to see what roms will make out of jelly bean. Can't wait.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

yeah man roms based on the official s3 jb rom should be good :)

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I hope Google Now and Project Margarine doesn't take anything away from fmy battery life.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol margerine :) at a guess id say margarine will use more power as the cpu will be gettin voltage boosts more often and Now will connect to the internet more using power.
ive read a few things about JB on the gnex and how nice it makes it but dont think ive read anythin about how it affects the battery life. does anyone know?

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I am running aosp JB on my nexus 7 and touchwiz JB on my international S3 and I have to say Samsung have done very very well. They have implemented most of the new features in JB into touch wiz. I tried going back to ICS a couple of days ago and changed back to JB almost straight away because I got use to all it little features. The main 3 for me are the notifications (so useful), the new launcher features when adding widgets and other things. But most of all Google now, it didn't impress me straight away but as you use it , it actually learns about you and starts reminding you of things or displaying stuff it thinks might help you without being intrusive somehow. If Google keep developing it well adding more features it has massive potential!

With battery life its hard to tell. I am definitely getting less time on battery using touchwiz jb but that could be because it is leaked and not complete. I am sure once Samsung do the official update it won't be that noticeable
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think my PC's phone's battery life *may* be a little shorter. I swap around spare batteries, so I'm not sure. For me, it's minimal.

But, this no-apps-to-SD business on ICS and, soon, JB, is driving me away. (But to where?) I'm clinging to the belief that some clever techie is going to figure out a workaround. Pleeeeeze.

sfrrr

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
app to sd does work on ICS though.... just nmt on these "next-gen devices. it wjs introdruced on froyo coz the devices had such dire internal memory. this is gona be the future mate