Hearing Aid Rating

Deflord

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I know this is probably a question maybe most of you might not know. But I see the S3 has the M4 rating for hearing aids but I am more interested in what the rating is for T. If it is a T3 or T4. It was disappointing to me to find they only provided the M rating. I checked with Verizon and they gave me the same info. So I am hoping someone can chime in and point somewhere where I can fond the T rating. (The M and T rating are for those of us who are hearing aid or cochlear implant users so we can hear off the phone without any interference)

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

anon(24178)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what the T rating is, but my dad wears hearing aids and he just got the S3. Without his hearing aids, he is very nearly deaf. He says it is the best sounding phone he's ever used. He even has to turn down the volume. He wears in the ear devices that fill the entire ear opening (almost the same size as ear plugs for BTE units). For the first time, he enjoys using his cell phone over his home phone that is an amplified home phone specifically for hearing impaired users.

Reactions: Deflord

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I looked through all of the Settings menus on my Verizon SGSIII and couldn't find anything remotely related to what you describe. Perhaps it's a Bluetooth-specific option? (I don't have a Bluetooth device to check).

You may want to get online and go to the Samsung website - have a 'chat' with one of their Customer Support representatives and maybe they can provide the information you're looking for.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Deflord

Deflord

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what the T rating is, but my dad wears hearing aids and he just got the S3. Without his hearing aids, he is very nearly deaf. He says it is the best sounding phone he's ever used. He even has to turn down the volume. He wears in the ear devices that fill the entire ear opening (almost the same size as ear plugs for BTE units). For the first time, he enjoys using his cell phone over his home phone that is an amplified home phone specifically for hearing impaired users.

Okay alot of it also depends if he is using the T-Coil or not. I tried it at the Verizon store but all the other phones were causing an interference. So I couldnt justify if it was the phone or the phones around it. I am going to hunt someone down at my office and hope I can try their phone and see how it sounds. If it sounds good - then Im jumping on it.

anon(24178)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hope you find it works well for you. I'm not sure if my dad uses t-coil in his aids or not, and my daughter uses BTE, but we let her use speakerphone right now until her audiologist enables the T-Coil (she's 6). Don't know about cochlear though. Let us know how it goes. Everything online only gives it an M rating, whether it's ATT, Verizon, and Sprint.

Deflord

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Most BTE hearing aids comes with T-Coil you just adjust the setting to T. It's all good btw. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I actually contacted Samsung support but all they could tell me was that it only had M4; according to the person I 'chatted' with it didn't have any T rating. I'd take that with a grain of salt, since I had to point her to the URL where it listed the specifications ^_^

This does seem to be a poorly documented area in general. I did a Google search for phones with HAC support and one of the links took me to information from Sprint that showed that the Samsung Galaxy S II had an M4/T3 rating, but I couldn't confirm the T3 rating anywhere else.

So unfortunately it seems like you're going to have to actually experiment with any phone that you're interested in. I looked at your profile but it didn't list where you're located - hopefully you have a corporate store nearby; if not I'd bet that you could find an SGSIII user who'd be glad to let you try theirs. Sorry we couldn't provide you better support.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Most cell phones are going to be M rated for the microphone. Telecoils use magnetic energy to transmit the sound. Cell phones don't play well with tcoils which is why most hearing aids today are bluetooth capable.

FYI I'm an audiologist. :)
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Omigod! Hey, all you hearing-challenged folks out there, we have an audiologist on this thread!

Advance apology: I think that over the next few months, I'm going to stretch your patience to the breaking point. And I'm sorry. But every audiologist I've dealt with in the last five years has been clueless about Bluetooth especially. And I have some not-very-techie questions.

Such as: which is better: using whatever this M and/or T technology is (I see I have some studying to do) or connecting to your phone's telephone and media player functions via Bluetooth. (I wear a small gadget around my neck that acts as a Bluetooth radio(?).)

I have so many questions, but I'll try to curb my enthusiasm.

sfrrr

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Omigod! Hey, all you hearing-challenged folks out there, we have an audiologist on this thread!

Advance apology: I think that over the next few months, I'm going to stretch your patience to the breaking point. And I'm sorry. But every audiologist I've dealt with in the last five years has been clueless about Bluetooth especially. And I have some not-very-techie questions.

Such as: which is better: using whatever this M and/or T technology is (I see I have some studying to do) or connecting to your phone's telephone and media player functions via Bluetooth. (I wear a small gadget around my neck that acts as a Bluetooth radio(?).)

I have so many questions, but I'll try to curb my enthusiasm.

sfrrr

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Bluetooth is the best at this point because it can be used as stereo. Most hearing aids require a device that connects to your phones BT and then streams that up to the hearing aids wirelessly. BT is still to large of a technology to put in the hearing aid itself.

T-Coils are old tech, based on the old 60's and 70's style telephones that had giant magnets in the ear piece. Today digital cordless phones don't have that strong of a magnet, so most hearing aids come with a strong magnet for you to put on the phone. When a T-coil works the work great, especially for looped arena's.

Deflord

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Well I finally opted for the S3 even though the T-Coil sucks! I'm using a wired neckloop at times and a Klipsch headset as well tab times. Those work for now. I told Samsung that Motorola, HTC, and others tests and make their products accessible. Heck even my work iCrap 5 has a T4 rating but hate Crapple.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
interesting thread. i knew nothing about any of this.
i read a lot of people banging on about how good the iphone is for the deaf and blind so how does the s3 compare?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

lockwoodgh

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Seems like lots of apps out there that can AMPLIFY sound, but a very useful addition to the mix would be an app to allow the user to plug a directional microphone into the phone, then listen to the sound via a bluetooth earbud to isolate and CLARIFY sound. I have one deaf ear and one that is normal. The environment that gives me trouble is one where I'm trying to listen to someone in an environment with lots of background noise (cafeteria, etc). Just using the cell microphone with an earbud in the good ear doesn't accomplish the goal -- what I'd love to be able to do is to point the cell with the directional microphone at the person I'm speaking to and have that sound transferred by BT. Any developer who makes this will doubtlessly win the hearts and wallets of the world's one-eared Android population.....

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
And for the two-ear semi-deaf people, is there any way, via an app or within the newer hearing aids or anywhere else to give us directional hearing?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
And for the two-ear semi deaf people, is there any way, via an app or within the newer hearing aids or anywhere else to give us directional hearing?

Sent from my GT-I9300

I can see great technology for the visualy impaired on the horison bro (soz bout da gramma) ;)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
...... arent there stereo hearing aids yet???? Thats rediculous if there arent.

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer: