New S3/Android Owner from iPhone 4 and have ?'s

nbdiver

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I am an ex iPhone 4 owner and just got my S3 this week. I will say its a great device and has so far filled the void I had from being bored with my iPhone. There are several things that frustrate me about Android but really it is more me just learning a totally new language and wanting to know everything NOW! I love that the customization options are endless but almost overwhelming. I am just want to get my email, calendar and contacts stabilized before I start customizing things!

Launcher - I have learned I don't like Touchwiz much and am looking for a different Launcher if anyone has suggestions? I've heard Launcher Pro and Nova are good. Any other suggestions to try?

Email - I've also noticed the email apps are not very good compared to iOS or its just that I am used to the ease of use with the iPhone? The native app is really mediocre and I've tried K-9 which seems to be a little better but I am looking for more flexibility with multiple email accounts. Conversations...etc. Any other suggestions?

Backup - I am contemplating taking my phone back and exchanging for a 32GB phone. Any suggestions on what to do to backup what I currently have configured now? iTunes makes it pretty easy to backup and restore but so far I am not really sure which direction to head with Android. It doesn't appear to be as straightforward. Although I am overwhelmed and it could be staring me in the face? Any ideas?

Search within S3 - Is there a way to search within your phones apps, contacts, calendars etc.? I loved this feature on the iPhone but searching on the S3 only seems to result in a web search. Is there a way to do an internal search on the phone? I really want this to find apps as I have downloaded a lot of them but I have no organization yet. I also like to be able to search a contact and it pull up the contact info, any emails that were sent to me etc.

Any other suggestions for a newbie to Android? I am open to anything. Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
for the last question, if you live in the US then Apple sued and had that option removed. an app called Google Gesture Search performs the same function but you handwrite the search in (its far easier than it sounds so try it) good luck with the rest mate. have a search for the email threads on this forum for tips (first few pages i think) download Samsung Kies on your pc/mac for backups etc. welcome to the bright side ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
launchers theres my favourite Go Launcher but Nova and Apex seem to be most favoured on this forum (theres a good thread on here) just dont try n make ur s3 into an iphone clone lol and check out the Homescreens thread for ideas on how to make your phone look unique :)

nbdiver

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
for the last question, if you live in the US then Apple sued and had that option removed. an app called Google Gesture Search performs the same function but you handwrite the search in (its far easier than it sounds so try it) good luck with the rest mate. have a search for the email threads on this forum for tips (first few pages i think) download Samsung Kies on your pc/mac for backups etc. welcome to the bright side ;)
I will give that a try, thanks for the suggestion.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I am an ex iPhone 4 owner and just got my S3 this week. I will say its a great device and has so far filled the void I had from being bored with my iPhone. There are several things that frustrate me about Android but really it is more me just learning a totally new language and wanting to know everything NOW! I love that the customization options are endless but almost overwhelming. I am just want to get my email, calendar and contacts stabilized before I start customizing things!

Launcher - I have learned I don't like Touchwiz much and am looking for a different Launcher if anyone has suggestions? I've heard Launcher Pro and Nova are good. Any other suggestions to try?
I am using Nova and highly recommend it. There are numerous launchers that you can try, most are free which gives you the opportunity to test drive them:
Nova
Apex
Go
ADW

Email - I've also noticed the email apps are not very good compared to iOS or its just that I am used to the ease of use with the iPhone? The native app is really mediocre and I've tried K-9 which seems to be a little better but I am looking for more flexibility with multiple email accounts. Conversations...etc. Any other suggestions?
The native email program is horrible. I switched to K-9 for awhile, but was not happy with the UI. It also corrupted attachments, so I tested Aquamail and am very happy with it. I purchased the the app to allow multiple email account set up.

Backup - I am contemplating taking my phone back and exchanging for a 32GB phone. Any suggestions on what to do to backup what I currently have configured now? iTunes makes it pretty easy to backup and restore but so far I am not really sure which direction to head with Android. It doesn't appear to be as straightforward. Although I am overwhelmed and it could be staring me in the face? Any ideas? You are limited on what you can backup if you are not rooted. I don't use Kies, but have heard its a good option for those wanting something similar for itunes backup. I just load my music on the SD card and back that up on my PC along with photos, and other documents and data.

Search within S3 - Is there a way to search within your phones apps, contacts, calendars etc.? I loved this feature on the iPhone but searching on the S3 only seems to result in a web search. Is there a way to do an internal search on the phone? I really want this to find apps as I have downloaded a lot of them but I have no organization yet. I also like to be able to search a contact and it pull up the contact info, any emails that were sent to me etc.
If rooted, you can install the Google Search APK which gives you that functionality back. Or use the "Play Store" to download the app suggested by others here.

Any other suggestions for a newbie to Android? I am open to anything. Thanks in advance for the help! :)

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if that hit Verizon or not but I can search within apps, emails, messages just fine by long pressing the menu key.:cool:

Reactions: Even4steven

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 4 myself, so here's my .02....

1. I didn't mind touchwiz, but I switched over to GoLauncher. I like the added customization and find it a little more intuitive to use. My favorite feature is being able to add additional rows of apps to the screen. If you do try out a launcher, know that you'll have to set up your screens again.

2. I have a gmail address and use the gmail app for that. It's not quite as good as the iPhone gmail app, but it's fine for what I need to do.

4. I believe the backup is similar to iCloud. They're done wirelessly. If you'd like an app similar to iTunes, you can download Keis which will let you backup to a computer locally via USB or wirelessly.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I had an iP3G and this is also my first Android phone like you. I've had my GS3 for just about 2 weeks now and you'll find that you won't want to go back to the puny little screen on an iP.

Re: email app. +1 on Aquamail. Nicely designed, supports HTML format viewing and the free version allows for 2 accounts and they're merged together for easy viewing. The stock app while nicely designed, does not support HTML viewing which is just plain dumb, LOL

Re: Launcher. Go Launcher seems to be nice, though I just use some cool wallpapers and stick with Touch Wiz.. I actually have grown to like it and am used to creating folders etc.

Browser: I highly recommend Dolphin especially with their new voice search and gestures.. Screaming fast too.

Backup. Am assuming you have a Gmail account which is the best way to sync contacts, apps, etc. So all your apps will be backed up in the Play store and Google + syncs with your phone.

Battery: I HIGHLY recommend Juice Defender. I'm not a power user and after the initial constant playing with the Galaxy, I'm getting well over 24 hours on a charge and sometimes more. I also recommend calibrating your battery using this process (second option for non-rooted phones): Calibrate Android Phone/Tablet Battery and Achieve Longer Battery Life

Having never been a Mac owner, having an Android phone makes the most sense. Am going to keep my iP3G for now as a back up just in case since it's not worth much these days. Am praying I never have to use it though since its a real slug compared to the GS3.. Enjoy and welcome to the community!

nbdiver

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if that hit Verizon or not but I can search within apps, emails, messages just fine by long pressing the menu key.:cool:
that takes me to the google search which only shows web results? Nevermind just read fuether thst its a Verizon thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Does Kies backup downloaded apps and phone settings or just raw backup of the phone?

tbh it claims to back up apps and data but i havent tried it and id always thought u required root to back up app settings and i havent tried it. would be really nice if it backed up at mirror image of the phone :)

CaneToad

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I use My Backup Pro which will backup to SD Card or Cloud. Why bother changing to a 32gb when you can install a 64gb SD card?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I use My Backup Pro which will backup to SD Card or Cloud. Why bother changing to a 32gb when you can install a 64gb SD card?

does mybackup pro back up app S3TTINGS/DATA without root mate? also isnt there a limit to how much it can back up to cloud? (think i remember it wouldnt back up all my apps...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois