Feedback in car

tomar264

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
So lately I've been told that while I am using my phone in my car there is a lot of feedback. It's not even when I'm moving, just running the engine causes it to some extent. Having the car radio on or not doesn't matter either.

I also have an auxiliary input jack on my radio and if I plug my phone into that and no music is playing I also hear feedback through my speakers which correlates with the rpm of the engine. I think these two things are related. Anyone else have feedback issues in the car with their S3?

Seems pretty odd that anything in the car should cause this kind of interference. It's a 2003 bmw 330i

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes...it's common. It's the power cable. Do you have it plugged in when you get this feedback? Try unplugging it from power...you will probably find that the feedback goes away. I just bought a new car...and the feedback/noise is twice as bad as it was with my old car. It's brutal.

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I use to work in car audio. And the feedback is from the cars alternator. The same thing would happen when you put a amp in. You get a nose or buzz though the speakers. The only way to get rid of out is to ground directly to the alternator. So if your getting feedback from your 12v outlet you would have to ruin a ground wire from the alternator to the outlet.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use to work in car audio. And the feedback is from the cars alternator. The same thing would happen when you put a amp in. You get a nose or buzz though the speakers. The only way to get rid of out is to ground directly to the alternator. So if your getting feedback from your 12v outlet you would have to ruin a ground wire from the alternator to the outlet.

I hope you meant to say ground to the battery. Since that's the source of ground in a vehicle electrical system.

OP: what kind of car is it? Any aftermarket equipment installed?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes...it's common. It's the power cable. Do you have it plugged in when you get this feedback? Try unplugging it from power...you will probably find that the feedback goes away. I just bought a new car...and the feedback/noise is twice as bad as it was with my old car. It's brutal.

This!

I have the same issue, a whine between songs when I'm playing audio. Noticed it only happens when I have the power plugged in. When the phone isn't charging, the annoying noise (only between songs) goes away.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had this problem in my 2010 BMW 328i with both my S3 and my previous BlackBerrys.

It is a grounding issue and for me, it only occurs when I try to play audio out through the aux AND charge at the same time. I always thought it was just a deal where I couldn't do anything about it except not charge while listening to music...

Until I read an article discussing the problem and was suggested to get a "ground loop isolator". It's a small device that plugs in between your aux cable (going to your phone) and your aux jack. It has worked perfectly for me and solved the problem for only $10-$15!

Amazon.com: PAC Ground Loop Isolator for 3.5 MM Applications: Car Electronics

Reactions: BMIC50

tomar264

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, yeah I never tried to unplug the charging cable when I hear the feedback in between songs. However, I'm told that there is a lot of background noise when I'm on the phone even though the car isn't moving, but is running (power cable not plugged in). I have to test this more though and borrow a second phone to hear it for myself.

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Nope if you round right to the battery you mind as well just ground to anywhere on the car. The alternator is the source of the nose. you need to run a ground wire from the alternator. Here's a few of the cars I worked on. I think I know what I'm talking about lol.
47b6b89a-1216-4a6f.jpg

47b6b89a-1227-758d.jpg

47b6b89a-11d6-9904.jpg

Last edited: