"Eye" icon in notifications - Smart Stay?

epaynedsm

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
About three days ago I discovered an over the air software update for my Samsung Galaxy S3, and installed it. Since then, I have noticed a new icon in my notification bar - an eye. The assumption is that it has something to do with the "Smart Stay" feature of the GS3 - a feature that I have not yet been able to determine if it works or not. However, I turned off the Smart Stay feature, and the "eyecon" remains on my screen. What's up with this? Can someone provide a definitive answer, because I'm not at all convinced of any of this. How can I turn off this icon??

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You are correct it is the icon for "Smart Stay". Try removing your battery, sometimes software is finicky and you need the battery pulled to reset the memory.

ZeyadHesham

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about the notification icon, make sure you're turning the notification on. By droppjng down the notification menu, and select "Notification" which is between Power Saving and Mobile data

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The eye icon is not supposed to be steady in the notification bar...it's supposed to show up intermittently when the camera is checking for activity

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

epaynedsm

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Zeyad... it is the second one you showed, with "eyelashes" above the eye. It is on constantly, and I notice that my battery seems to discharge quicker and not charge back as quickly since all this.

dlivezey

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Any idea what caused this problem?

I reached for my phone this afternoon to find it was down to (ack!) 6% battery. I noticed the Smart Stay icon was solid on. I have never seen this before, nor have I noticed such extreme battery drainage. Plus, in Settings\Battery, the Awake bar was solid for almost the whole day, which is unheard of given my usage of the phone.

I turned the phone off and on, and the icon did not reappear.

The last OTA OS update I allowed was a couple of weeks ago, so it doesn't seem to be related to that, although I have updated various applications since then.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Don

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lazy samsung software devs id say..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Any idea what caused this problem?

I reached for my phone this afternoon to find it was down to (ack!) 6% battery. I noticed the Smart Stay icon was solid on. I have never seen this before, nor have I noticed such extreme battery drainage. Plus, in Settings\Battery, the Awake bar was solid for almost the whole day, which is unheard of given my usage of the phone.

I turned the phone off and on, and the icon did not reappear.

The last OTA OS update I allowed was a couple of weeks ago, so it doesn't seem to be related to that, although I have updated various applications since then.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Don

I had this happen a couple of times. It appears that the software believes that there are eyes on the screen, and it keeps it awake Luckily I caught it before it killed the battery.
I generally don't use the 'smart stay' any more.

Last edited:

parthrawat

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Folks Please help me out here. I read comments here but still not getting it. So I charged my galaxy s3 last night and probably used it for 2-3 minutes then when I woke up this morning and saw 19% battery (CRAZYYYY).
I noticed this eye symbol that was constantly on?[/B]??[/B] may be this is the problem???. I don't know what causing all this??

Ever since I got the phone I always turn data off when I am on wifi, auto brightness is off and brightness is at 5%, I clear my task manager. Besides all this what could cause battery drainage ??

Thank You

RobFreundlich

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I found this thread because I had the eye icon show up on my Note 2 and didn't know what it was. After reading the thread, I held the phone up to my face so it could see my eyes; the screen did a couple of rotations, and then it oriented itself properly and the icon went away.

I don't know whether that would work on an S3 (my wife's S3 seems to be buggier and less mature, software-wise, than the N2), but if anyone else runs into the problem, it might be worth a try before pulling the battery.

mjh8154

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful information everyone, I just started seeing the eye more frequently the past couple of days. I've had Smart Stay enabled since I got the phone on 01/07 of this year and had never noticed the eye staying on as much as it has been. I disabled Smart Stay and the icon remained, it left after I powered off and powered back on, no battery pull needed (as of yet).

Thanks again collective knowledge machine known as the internet, powered by humans! :)