Samsung Ready to go after Apple if they release an LTE phone.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope so. Just can't figure out how that's gonna work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
With Google backing away from Samsung could be bad for us getting a update.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This only gets more interesting!

Link to story

If they're related to LTE, they'd be Standards Essentials Patents. FRAND would come into play here. I hope Samsung doesn't make themselves look bad by trying to overcharge Apple on SEPs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The article starts off hilariously.

Samsung Electronics is moving to fight back against Apple by strengthening its partnerships with American mobile carriers to develop new technologies to get away from the U.S. firm?s claims on design.

The world?s biggest smartphone maker is in talks with major telecom carriers on Apple?s home-turf such as Verizon Wireless about modified designs in Samsung Galaxy devices. It is also closely partnering with Microsoft (MS) to cut its dependency on Google Android, according to officials Wednesday.

Why would they need help from carriers to develop new technologies to get away from Apple's trade-dress/design claims?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung Ready to B**ch slap Apple if they release an LTE phon

The article starts off hilariously.

Why would they need help from carriers to develop new technologies to get away from Apple's trade-dress/design claims?

Yeah, I am not sure what that is about?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Doesn't the iPad already have LTE and shouldn't they have sued already? This article makes no sense.

Yes it does, but I read that Samsung is waiting to play that card when the Iphone 5 comes out. This would presumably hurt Apple more since market share for the Iphone is greater.

It is also being reported on BGR.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site

Yes it does, but I read that Samsung is waiting to play that card when the Iphone 5 comes out. This would presumably hurt Apple more since market share for the Iphone is greater.

Can I assume that Samsung holds a key patent for LTE?

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

BGR just picked up the original story from the Korean newspaper ("The Korea Times reports"). I still wouldn't put much weight in the story.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

BGR just picked up the original story from the Korean newspaper ("The Korea Times reports"). I still wouldn't put much weight in the story.

Only time will tell. Some of these "Reports" have legs some don't, its the nature of the industry. I subscribe to Pulse (Tech News) and just pass along/share interesting articles for discussion.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
IMO, if Samsung wanted to delay or stop the next iPhone, which supposedly will ship with LTE, Samsung should have filed a case against the LTE iPad the moment it was released.

Even if Apple is infringing on a Samsung LTE patent, they probably won't be able to now stop the initial flood of new iPhones that will supposedly hit the market at the end of September.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

IMO, if Samsung wanted to delay or stop the next iPhone, which supposedly will ship with LTE, Samsung should have filed a case against the LTE iPad the moment it was released.

Even if Apple is infringing on a Samsung LTE patent, they probably won't be able to now stop the initial flood of new iPhones that will supposedly hit the market at the end of September.

That's why I was initially skeptical. iPad is a huge seller, why would Samsung have just shrugged and let that supposed LTE infraction go but now they want to block iPhones? Wouldn't they also want iPads pulled from sale as well seeing that they're selling in the millions? This is all because they're upset about the verdict which they'll appeal and most likely get reduced or overturned? I don't buy it.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

"It is also closely partnering with Microsoft (MS) to cut its dependency on Google Android, according to officials Wednesday. "

I'm throwing the BS flag. Why would Samsung want to distance itself from Android? IMO, Samsung has solidified itself in the mobile field because of Android. And until Microsoft is successful with expanding its Windows Phone 8 platform (which I hope it does, more choice is always good), it would be completely idiotic to jump the Android ship.

And I doubt Samsung goes after Apple over LTE patents. Like Ry said, they would have to be SEPs, so any lawsuit would get tossed out quickly on that basis alone. And after losing the last patent battle, I doubt Samsung wants anymore negative attention.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

"It is also closely partnering with Microsoft (MS) to cut its dependency on Google Android, according to officials Wednesday. "

I'm throwing the BS flag. Why would Samsung want to distance itself from Android? IMO, Samsung has solidified itself in the mobile field because of Android. And until Microsoft is successful with expanding its Windows Phone 8 platform (which I hope it does, more choice is always good), it would be completely idiotic to jump the Android ship.

And I doubt Samsung goes after Apple over LTE patents. Like Ry said, they would have to be SEPs, so any lawsuit would get tossed out quickly on that basis alone. And after losing the last patent battle, I doubt Samsung wants anymore negative attention.

Yeah that was funny too, the line about Samsung distancing from Android. They've made a fortune selling Android phones but they're suddenly going to change course and go back Windows 8? I mean it's great that Samsung will be making Windows phones too, but I highly doubt they're suddenly going to distance themselves from Android.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc