Root Help: All the things you can do

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am not very good at producing baseless (here meaning "having no starting point or reason") walkthroughs or guides. However, I do take time to look at this forum fairly frequently while working on my computer. A lot of people have had their certain nitpicks about the S3 (or Android in general) and many of them can be fixed very easily, but requiring root access. Even simple things like saving memory and battery, changing sounds or not liking ANY of the stock options for sounds. I, and many other experienced users, can make recommendations or provide help for questions new users, users curious about root, or new root users may have.

There are obvious examples, but I would like this thread to be more of an up to date FAQ than a "How To" or some other type of guide.

So, with that out of the way, if any S3 owners have questions about ways to change certain things with the phone, or issues, or things they just don't like and want gone - feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer - consolidating a few threads I saw about small issues into one.

And for a closing statement, I think that root should be a checkbox in settings and not something that voids your warranty. It is more difficult than people think to break your phone's hardware with root access alone. That takes a little more know how. Screwing up software is easy, but that can 95% of the time (made up statistic, but I have had 100% success when I screwed up) be recovered and/or fixed.

So feel free to ask away, no question is stupid. I also do not mind questions that have already been answered, or people who don't feel like searching. Just keep in mind I may not be able to answer every day.

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
And thanks for your kind help well I'm new to Android coming from a bb torch 9860 and yes I don't know a thing about rooting and a step by step safe guide would be great to have and since my S3 (gt i9300) came with the carrier's theme (Claro Ecuador) I hate those stupid custom icons and shortcuts so I'm a purist and want the original theme. Is there a chance to loose some functions by doing so? What is the worst scenario?
And also would like to change the system sounds like the water drops for example.
Many thanks,
Alex

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Reply to alexcolka:

Sure I will point you in the right direction for getting it rooted and unlocked if you desire. Rooting gives you complete control over the phone and its current operating system. Unlocking gives you the ability to control the phones firmware and pre-boot options, as well as make full system backups and change the ROM (operating system image) if you want.

Rooting in itself will not lose you any functions. There are some rumors as to losing OTA updates by rooting though. I myself have never had that issue, and you can always manually update the firmware that is released anyway. The worst scenario is that you "brick" your phone, or make it completely unusable. Fortunately, with Samsung in specific, this is able to be reversed using a force flashing software like Odin and putting the phone in download mode. You do not need root to disable the feedback sound (droplet), but you can change it to something else with root.

Here is something to get you started, copied from my other post:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can use this link for reference to the brief steps that I will give you.
Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy S3 [How To]

It also links to other posts for the steps of accomplishing each stage. Follow it step by step, and I can provide you with some of the tools needed. I added the copy of the recovery image into the odin archive. The following three should have everything you need:

USB Drivers -> Eh, it looks like this one is too big. Just download the Verizon GSIII drivers
GS3 DebugFS Root Tool
Odin Flashing Tool -> make sure you follow these instructions clearly and I can help if you have questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download the two that I provided, and also download the Galaxy S3 USB drivers (which are too large to attach here).

Please read all the instructions first and ask a question if you want.
1. Download and install the USB drivers for the Galaxy S3.
2. On your S3, go to Settings -> Security and enable "Unknown Sources"
3. Also in settings, go to Development and enable "USB Debugging"
4. Extract the Debugfs tool and run the batch file. Follow the prompts under option 1 to root the device. Be patient and always make sure you allow the phone to fully start up before proceeding with a prompt after a reboot.
5. Uninstall the "Superuser.apk" that the root process gave you, and download Superuser.apk from the Play store.
6. Open superuser and swipe to the right, then click "tap to check for binary updates" and let it finish its process.
7. If you want to unlock the device after it is rooted (Verizon only) go to the Play store and download the VZW GS3 unlock tool. Just search for VZW GS3 to find it.
7a. (only do this step if you have decided to unlock a VZW GS3) Extract the odin archive and run odin. Shut off your phone, then hold the home, volume down, and power (in that order) buttons until the warning message shows up, then let go and press the volume up button. After the phone says "downloading" on the screen (small text) click the PDA button and select the recovery image that I provided with the archive (clockwork touch for S3 - you can use a different one if you want to) and make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT, I repeat NOT, checked, then hit start and wait for it to finish. If you don't want to flash a recovery right now, you can skip this step.
8. Once your phone is rooted (and unlocked if you want/need) come back here and I will help you with the next steps.

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow thank you 534n! That's a lot of detailed info I'm going to save this for a future and eventual rooting of my phone, very appreciate it.
Alex

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow thank you 534n! That's a lot of detailed info I'm going to save this for a future and eventual rooting of my phone, very appreciate it.
Alex

Yeah I suggest you wait for jelly bean in the next week or so before you root

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair