S Voice

pcmacnerd

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am a new Android users having used an iphone 4 prior to this. My question is about S Voice, one of the reasons I bought the S 3 is because of the voice dictation and S Voice. However, I find this feature to be practically useless, every time I try to use it it either doesn't understand me at all or it gets it completely wrong. I'm at the point where I don't even use it any more. Is it something I'm doing wrong or is this everyone's experience. Other than that I really like the phone.

I also see YouTube videos of people using the stock Android voice search on the nexus 7 that seems to work great, is that a feature of Jelly Bean that we will get in the future?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
S Voice is not that good. And yes, the voice features on the Nexus 7 are amazing. That's part of Google Now, which is only available on Jelly Bean devices. The good news is that it looks like when Samsung updates the SGS 3 to Jelly Bean, they're keeping Google Now.

If you're looking for good dictation now, try Dragon Go (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.nuance.dragon&token=B5ZzWJNW). It actually comes as part of Swype keyboard now, so if you use Swype, just go into whatever app you want to dictate to, open up the keyboard, and tap the little flame button to the right of the period.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've owned my SIII since the first week of July. I only use S-voice when in the car with drive mode on. I use S-voice primarily with my BT earpiece. A long touch initiates S-voice.

It's useful to to turn applications on, when texts arrive, they are read aloud. It can be used to dictate a quick text response. I can initiate calls with S-voice as well.

Over time, voice recognition has improved slightly. That's all I use s-voice for. I'm interested in the drive link app which seems to give me what I'm after when driving.

Last edited:

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually, Google Now has been ported to ICS ROMs for a while. If you root and install a custom ROM, oftentimes they will come with Google Now. Just take a look at the ROM's description and the developer should tell you if it's included.

I happen to be running a Verizon S3. After unlocking the bootloader and rooting the phone, I installed the Synergy ROM, an ICS Touchwiz ROM for Verizon S3's. It includes Google Now. I quickly disabled S Voice and have been using Google Now exclusively. It's 1000% better than S Voice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol