Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default any SD experts here? ;)

    k, i just transfered 5Gb from phone to SD and it took lhour lol is that normal? its a crapy old free 8Gb card.
    its full now so im gona have to buy a bigger one so
    a) will a higher class card (aswell as transfering filep faster) make downloading from internet to sd faster than with a lower class?
    b) which brands would you recomend on a scale of 1 to 3 with #1 being most expensive, #3 cheapest? and...
    c) im unemployed and poor so what class of SD should i get (class/price ratio)

    ..thanks for taking time to read btw
    i know i could find all this on google but i prefer my lil s3 family's opinions
  2. #2  
    Ricky Babalu's Avatar
    BEACH BUM

    Posts
    2,007 Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    I would recommend the Sandisk 64GB class 6. Try Amazon they are usually on sale for a good price. Stick with a name brand. Also I would not go any lower than a class 6. I got mine for $49. The write speed between a 6 and 10 is not much.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    Getting slow speeds when transferring files to a SD card is normal. Basically the class speed shows the minimum sequential right speeds of the SD card. I'm guessing you mean microSD.

    a.) A higher class will definitely help with faster file transfers. For example I used to have a 2gb SD card that was class 2. It took hours for my files to transfer. I now have a 32GB Class 10 with 90/50 Read/Write. It's much faster when transferring files. Name brand class 6 card will perform 10+MB/s writes also, so if you're low on money get a quality brand class 6 card.

    b.) I can't really help you out here. Most reliable brands for me are Samsung, Sandisk, Patriot. AData, TeamViewer, Transcend are all decent for SD/microSD cards these days

    c.) I can't really help you with class/price ratio also, but there is a benchmark/chart from Tomshardware that basically tests several SD/microSD cards for their different write and read speeds. This should help you know what's fast and then you can check the prices of the cards.

    micrSD Benchmark
    Benchmarks 2011 micro SDHC Charts

    SD Benchmark
    Benchmarks 2011 SD Cards

    Personally I am going to wait for Samsung's new UHS-1 (Class 10) microSD(HC,XC) cards that will come out around the end of this year. Sandisk 32GB and 64GB cards are on sale a lot online also.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    Get a Team Data 32GB card. They are cheap (~$25), class 10, perform very well, and have never corrupted for me. I have about 7 of their 32GB cards. They are a no-name brand but they stand behind their memory cards. G.Skill has also been great for me, but a few others have had complaints about their cards, not me though.

    I still recommend Team.

    I do not know if the S3 is UHS-1 capable, so class 10 will be your best bet, even though you *MAY* get better performance with a UHS-1 card (I do not have any experience using them personally though yet).

    EDIT: My Team card reads at 25-35MB/s and writes at 12.5-22.5MB/s
  5. #5  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,998 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    Unemployed? You don't need no stinkin' new SD card.

    Sandisk and Transcend have always done well for me. Minimum of Class 6.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xKrNMBoYx View Post
    Getting slow speeds when transferring files to a SD card is normal. Basically the class speed shows the minimum sequential right speeds of the SD card. I'm guessing you mean microSD.

    a.) A higher class will definitely help with faster file transfers. For example I used to have a 2gb SD card that was class 2. It took hours for my files to transfer. I now have a 32GB Class 10 with 90/50 Read/Write. It's much faster when transferring files. Name brand class 6 card will perform 10+MB/s writes also, so if you're low on money get a quality brand class 6 card.

    b.) I can't really help you out here. Most reliable brands for me are Samsung, Sandisk, Patriot. AData, TeamViewer, Transcend are all decent for SD/microSD cards these days

    c.) I can't really help you with class/price ratio also, but there is a benchmark/chart from Tomshardware that basically tests several SD/microSD cards for their different write and read speeds. This should help you know what's fast and then you can check the prices of the cards.

    micrSD Benchmark
    Benchmarks 2011 micro SDHC Charts

    SD Benchmark
    Benchmarks 2011 SD Cards

    Personally I am going to wait for Samsung's new UHS-1 (Class 10) microSD(HC,XC) cards that will come out around the end of this year. Sandisk 32GB and 64GB cards are on sale a lot online also.
    well its oburous the s3 uses micro mate lol and android system calls it SD (well, EXT SD CARD) lol i kid
    seriously thour thanks so much for the info guys. il check amazon when i get "payed"
    lol Kev, how can i possibly travel to job interviews without plenty tunes
    i hear what everyones sayin about higher class MICRO sd transfering data faster but what about downloading a movie or album from internet to sd? will that be faster? ive noticed on to**ent apps, the download speed is much slower than my normal data speed
  7. #7  

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    well its oburous the s3 uses micro mate lol and android system calls it SD (well, EXT SD CARD) lol i kid
    seriously thour thanks so much for the info guys. il check amazon when i get "payed"
    lol Kev, how can i possibly travel to job interviews without plenty tunes
    i hear what everyones sayin about higher class MICRO sd transfering data faster but what about downloading a movie or album from internet to sd? will that be faster? ive noticed on to**ent apps, the download speed is much slower than my normal data speed
    A higher class SD means ALL I/O will be faster to that card.
  8. #8  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    2,121 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,123 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default

    Which is the most amount of gb you can get with out formatting and all that crap for us rooted users? I want the best card for my tired galaxy s3 without actually formatting and all that.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    Take the SD card out of the phone. You'll get much faster transfer rates using a quality USB card reader.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Which is the most amount of gb you can get with out formatting and all that crap for us rooted users? I want the best card for my tired galaxy s3 without actually formatting and all that.
    Which capacity?

    The larger the rated capacity of the card, the larger the actualy capacity of the card. For example, a 32GB card formatted with ext# or NTFS will yield 29.7-29.8GB usable.

    EDIT: I may have misunderstood. The slot of the S3 is an XC I believe, so the highest capacity currently manufactured and readily available to consumers is 64GB.
  11. #11  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,998 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    well its oburous the s3 uses micro mate lol and android system calls it SD (well, EXT SD CARD) lol i kid
    seriously thour thanks so much for the info guys. il check amazon when i get "payed"
    lol Kev, how can i possibly travel to job interviews without plenty tunes
    i hear what everyones sayin about higher class MICRO sd transfering data faster but what about downloading a movie or album from internet to sd? will that be faster? ive noticed on to**ent apps, the download speed is much slower than my normal data speed
    Download speed for things other than loading web pages or using the speedtest app will always be slower. Far more going on than just your download speed. I doubt SD card write speed has that much of an impact.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    SanDisk Ultra microSDHC™ and microSDXC™UHS-I cards
    Selected: : 16GB | Item # SDSDQUA-016G
    This is what I have and works great. Fast read/write speeds.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Get a SanDisk 16/32/64gb micro sdhc with at least class 6..... Class 4 is alright too if as long as you don't transfer movies or videos I guess... The free sd cards that come from the phones that you buy are almost always class 2... So class 4 is still technically a big upgrade..

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: any SD experts here? ;)

    saw some great deals on sandisk on amazon uk. il post a link later. gota go visit the Mrs in hospital
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Download speed for things other than loading web pages or using the speedtest app will always be slower. Far more going on than just your download speed. I doubt SD card write speed has that much of an impact.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    thanks mate

Posting Permissions