Tones going back to default by themselves

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having this issue?

Earlier today my ring tones and notification tones all went to default tones for no reason. So I reset them to what I usually use. Well, 6 hours later they all go back to default again.

This is far from the first time this has happened, actually it happens a couple times a month at least.

Anyone have an answer?

32gb GS3 stock, not rooted, running all stock ringtones and notifications.

Last edited:

KenGibson

May 3, 2012
Visit site
No, but touch sounds keeps resetting to default. And wifi turns off occasionally without me doing it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
WiFi is normal to turn on and off, when in and out of WiFi areas with that option turned on.

But these tones going to default are pissing me off.

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

miketko

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yup, mines been doing this for weeks now. Very annoying. Thought it might have something to do after I remove the battery as I do so often in having two batteries but it's not the Case

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I think it might be that my ringtones are on the External SD card not on the phone. Every time ya turn it off, it resets.... IDK, just an idea

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I am using all the factory installed ringtones, nothing added to SD card.

I am checking for Apps that I may have installed that could be causing it. I uninstalled one that I think maybe causing this issue, but won't post until I know for sure which one is causing it.

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
For those of you using custom tones, I had a somewhat similar issue, where my tones were not being found/reconized. For me the solution was to move my ringtones and notifications into folders called ringtones and notifications at the top level of the SD card. Maybe you could try doing the same and see if that works.

/mnt/extSdCard/ringtones
/mnt/extSdCard/notifications

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I am not using any custom tones!

...but just for kicks I moved all the ringtones and notification tones up into new folders just to try it.

Last edited:

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Just logging that my GS3 has been doing the same thing. I am running stock on Sprint w the 32gb model (trying to include relevant info).

I have both the ringtones changing and the screen-touch-sound issue going on. And they happen separately from each other.

I use custom tones, but I have them in the correct folders (been using same tones since OS 2.2 and I had to have them in correct folders back then).

Would love to know what is messing with these settings.

thanks
K--

miketko

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone find out the problem? Even when I set a ring tone with the zedge app it still goes back to default without even re starting the phone

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes when i get a text message only half of the tone plays.

Apparently this has something to do with the checking for overflow of SMS for deletion. Under Messaging -> Settings you can disable the "Delete Old Messages" option and it should fix that.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
As for the resetting of ring tones, do any of you use a task manager app or something that frees up "unused" data?

enfuego360

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I know this is not the same phone, but my Thunderbolt has been doing this since January (Bought the phone when it first came out in March of 2011). It only happens when I restart my phone. A few months ago I received an OTA update and it seemed to fix it... That was until a week or two ago. It's doing the same thing again, and I can't figure out why. I'd love to see if someone could figure this out.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
As for the resetting of ring tones, do any of you use a task manager app or something that frees up "unused" data?

I find this happens to me if i clear data/cache from media in apps section.

I'm guessing somebody would know if they were doing that, but perhaps there are task killers/cache deleters at work in the background?

Scarab

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Had this issue with my original Droid for more than 2 years and never figured it out. Now doing it on my SG3 so I'm thinking this may be pervasive with Android more than just 1 device. Dunno. It's not a deal breaker for me, just annoying.

Could be something in the contact sync process setting ring tones back to default? System somehow restoring default during sync, updates or from a backup process? Conflicting settings created from another related process with a higher priority?

Whatever it is, it's been around for quite awhile now. At least for me.