Leaving charger on

Chillidog66

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it hurt the battery to leave the phone on the charger after its fully charged?

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i do it but it causes a lot of heat and bad for the environment. best thing to do is buy one of those timers that plug into the wall socket ;)

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The battery is supposed to cut off current once it hits 100% so it should not heat up due to overcharging unless you have a defective unit

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

not2gutta

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I wonder the same...I like to keep it plugged in while using Pandora/hotspot so when I go out I still have battery life. I find it odd thatthe red charging light status remains red after hitting 100% then after time a notification comes up and says it's charged and to unplug it...hmmph

Also, if I leave my charger plugged in all day am I consuming unnecessary energy?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I also wondered if this was a bad thing. I was forever charging my BB just incase i had run out. My S3 is brilliant i can go a day and a half without charging it. I dont do gamming and just a very moedrate user.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned once the battery reaches 100% it stops charging the battery.So it wont hurt the battery.
When I have to charge my phone(s) tho I try do it while I am awake.Once the green light comes on I know I am good to go for another 30 hrs or so .

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
No worries. I leave mine on a charger at work while not in use, in the car to and from the office, and at home while not in use.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I charge overnight and when I wake up the phone shows 100%. As soon as I use it for a few minutes it drops quickly 97-98%/. I put it back on the charger until the green light comes on again and the battery has a much better charge. This indicates what others are saying is true: charging stops once the phone hits 100%. When I put mine back on in the morning it usually takes 20 - 30 minutes to hit 100% again.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I charge overnight and when I wake up the phone shows 100%. As soon as I use it for a few minutes it drops quickly 97-98%/. I put it back on the charger until the green light comes on again and the battery has a much better charge. This indicates what others are saying is true: charging stops once the phone hits 100%. When I put mine back on in the morning it usually takes 20 - 30 minutes to hit 100% again.

search playstore for battery calibration or battery calibrator and find one that doesnt require root access (unless youre rooted)
the calibration on my s3 was 8% out according to the app and since using it (follow the instructions) my battery seems to last longer and after taking it off charge it starts at 100% then goes down normaly 1% at a time :)

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder the same...I like to keep it plugged in while using Pandora/hotspot so when I go out I still have battery life. I find it odd thatthe red charging light status remains red after hitting 100% then after time a notification comes up and says it's charged and to unplug it...hmmph

Also, if I leave my charger plugged in all day am I consuming unnecessary energy?

think about it mate. touch the charger and its hot even without a phone plugged in. heat energy takes a lot of electricity. the charger is just a transformer (works in similar way to wireless chargers but within the unit) the coil is putting resistance on the electricity and releasing it as heat energy. we have around 3 chargers constantly plugged in lol. ur prob only wasting as much power as those plug-in air fresheners :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

think about it mate. touch the charger and its hot even without a phone plugged in. heat energy takes a lot of electricity. the charger is just a transformer (works in similar way to wireless chargers but within the unit) the coil is putting resistance on the electricity and releasing it as heat energy. we have around 3 chargers constantly plugged in lol. ur prob only wasting as much power as those plug-in air fresheners :)

TankMech

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The battery stops charging after 100% like already stated. I if it's on the charger still, but it will be on an ac current. The phone will run still if you take the battery out. In other words it will only be charging when the battery is low, and and running only off the wall ac current when not.

Sent from my BullyBolt using Android Central Forums.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
If you leave the charger in and you have a correctly functioning charge controller, the battery will be cut off once it reaches 100% and the charge current will be limited to enough to keep the phone running. The charger will be cold if your phone is idle, but if you are doing something demanding with the phone plugged in then it may warm up to supply constant power the the hardware, as the charger is just taking the place of the battery after 100%. Also, from a transformer's perspective, you are not using any more electricity by leaving it plugged in (with or without the phone attached) other than small coil eddy currents, since an unloaded transformer is essentially an open circuit. All the crap about "ghost currents" when you leave devices plugged into the wall is nonsense. Sure, if you have 30-50 of them plugged in, then there may be a measurable draw, but with a regular household, I would say no. And yes, new phones can be run on AC without the battery in, while old phones had a different circuit setup and would say "Insert battery" if you tried to boot it on AC only.

If the charger is even warm to the touch without a load attached, then something is wrong with it.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
search playstore for battery calibration or battery calibrator and find one that doesnt require root access (unless youre rooted)
the calibration on my s3 was 8% out according to the app and since using it (follow the instructions) my battery seems to last longer and after taking it off charge it starts at 100% then goes down normaly 1% at a time :)

Yeah, I downloaded that app and mine was off 3%. Mine still holds charge a little longer when I bump charge it back to 100%. I did it with my iPhone before this one and it worked the same way.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I downloaded that app and mine was off 3%. Mine still holds charge a little longer when I bump charge it back to 100%. I did it with my iPhone before this one and it worked the same way.

i keep tryin to preach calibration to people mate. usualy its only needed when u install a new rom but the s3 seems to come badly calibrated. also if u change to a new battery

wecaz

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, thanks for sharing your views. Here is something contrary that I observed with my android:

1) After battery is 100% charged and AC charger is connected, I took out the battery and phone is dead (AC is ON).

2) Without inserting the battery, I tried to switch ON with AC charger connected, then the phone vibrates, shows the model number on screen (as always) and dead again.

Now I should assume that my phone does not work without battery.

Model: Samsung Galaxy S Duos (GT-S7562)
Android: 4.0.4 ICS

Thanks,
wecaz

This seems like the 40th time I've posted this (this month), but here goes again.

In short, no it won't hurt and yes the phone quits drawing current after it's charged (with periodic recharges as the battery drains)

http://phandroid.com/2010/12/25/you...is-lying-to-you-and-its-not-such-a-bad-thing/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad