Power save mode

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea of the power save mode. I am trying to decide if I should leave power save mode on all the time and only turn it off when it's necessary like playing a game. Or leave it off all the time and only turn it off when I won't have access to a charger for a long time.

FunkMasterJoe

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
It's a good feature to have when your phone is close to dying. But I can't bring myself to use it any times other than that. I mean the S3 is such a great phone, it's smooth and fast, and power saving mode just rids of those elements of the phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
What I was doing was leaving power save mode turned on with only the CPU throttling on all the time. But I'm thinking of turning power save mode off unless I don't have a charger nearby. And in power save mode turn on CPU throttling, reduce screen frame rate, and dimming the browser back light.

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a usage difference but I do know my GSIII doesn't do 15hrs on a single charge since I toggled off cpu throttling.

I made that choice cos I want mad speed even though I seldom call the device out.

Sum up, if you're a regular user leave power save mode on. The extra 2 or 3 hrs battery life is worth it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
My S3 lasts two days (3 if I don't use it much) with power saving on. I particularly noticed a difference when using GPS with saving on, and the battery drained a lot slower.

Turning it off cut the battery time down to ~28 hours with light use.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I almost always have a charger available. I have one at home, at work, and in the car. There is the occasion when I won't have a charger available for a little while. Like shopping or something. So I don't need it to last 2 or 3 days. Just can't have it dying every 3 hours. But it seems like that isn't going to be a problem.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Nope, you would have to try really hard to kill it in 3 hours, but over time the battery will wear out if you are constantly killing it and recharging it. Contrary to popular belief, just because you fully deplete a Lion battery doesn't mean it will last longer. They do have a limit to charging cycles. But if you can get a new battery every 1.5 years or so then that does not matter if you have to charge it daily, plus with a recovery that allows you to clear the battery stat memory, you can squeeze a little more lifetime out of them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I still get really good battery life but if this feature helps more I would like to use it. I know I won't use it when at work streaming music and browsing the net but I would like to maybe use it those times where I am barley using the phone except for maybe some texting and a call here or there (out with friends, relaxing at home on the pc... Etc.)

So just curious who uses it and would suggest it? Would it help save a good amount of battery if I use it as described above? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it saves a good amount. I don't think it would double it or anything.

I'm going to try only using power save mode when I don't have a charger nearby. Or won't have one for a while.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it saves a good amount. I don't think it would double it or anything.

I'm going to try only using power save mode when I don't have a charger nearby. Or won't have one for a while.

True. I do know to save power in the past a few times I'd cut off more data and the battery wouldn't move for like 1 1/2 hours with very little use. Lol :p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the phone with power save for a while because I forgot to turn it back off. The phone was going Ok but recently it started stuttering a bit. TouchWiz has crashed a couple times. I'm going to try and turn power save off and see what happens.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
power save off while usin s3 as a smartphone.
powersave on while usin it as a dumbphone.. simples

also, change the settings so that it only underclocks the processor. the rest can be changed manualy :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
My typical weekday consists of my phone sitting at my desk for 8ish hours with no 4G. I browse some and text dome but that's it. Evenings I play games and watch YouTube. Weekends are a mix of the 2.

What do you consider smartphone activities? Because what I described sems like dumb phone stuff.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I checked screen power saving and cpu underclock. But I'm gonna leave power save off until it's needed. I don't have a brightness bar in the notification bar. But I can lower the browser brightness manually.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
My typical weekday consists of my phone sitting at my desk for 8ish hours with no 4G. I browse some and text dome but that's it. Evenings I play games and watch YouTube. Weekends are a mix of the 2.

What do you consider smartphone activities? Because what I described sems like dumb phone stuff.

without wantin to sound patronising or anything.. why buy the most powerful phone (when it was released) only to throttle it and use it for only basic functions?? for its looks? i really dont get it. i wanted most powerful android phone which was a choice between the One X and s3 so why would i want to underclock it lol.
while i use it as a smartphone i wana have the full whack.
when im out with friends (just back from court and pub) i have it on power saving but only affecting the cpu (i love haptic feedback and it was sunny so needed high brghtness)
now that im home, i have the quad core runnin at 1.4ghz :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
No worries. Not patronizing at all. So basically you put it in power save mode when it's gonna be in your pocket and not in use for a while (while you're with friends) and off when it's gonna be used more?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
If you're putting it in your pocket and won't be using it for a while, the difference between having power saver on and not on (when not using it) is minimal. So minimal it's not worth doing.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
power save off while usin s3 as a smartphone.
powersave on while usin it as a dumbphone.. simples

also, change the settings so that it only underclocks the processor. the rest can be changed manualy :)

How do you do that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums