Is doing a good ole fashioned battery pull the same as Restarting

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Basically as the title asks, I know some phones like BB when I had them way back had no means of restarting the device and you had to battery pull at least once every second day.

With the S3, you can select restart from the power button, but does it have the same effect as a battery pull?

Sorry for the noob question, but I AM a noob.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is doing a good ole fashioned battery pull the same as Restar

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQWiaZmNuw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YT]

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Sorta. Restart from the menu is more like a hot restart where a battery pull is a full restart.

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Is doing the battery pull of any benefit over the hot restart as you worded it?

Sorry I couldn't address the answer with the video clip but at work I can't access such things :(

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Is doing the battery pull of any benefit over the hot restart as you worded it?

Sorry I couldn't address the answer with the video clip but at work I can't access such things :(

Yes. It's cleaner, it'll reset more things, and as far as I know, it dumps more stuff.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
not sure. It's not really needed with this phone though. Clear ram every once and a while and keep moving. The only time my phone restarts is when the battery dies and I charge it again :p

work4crown

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

For the first time yesterday my Verizon S3 completely froze when I was trying to watch an embedded youtube video on Engadget mobile. No buttons worked; battery pull was my only option. Phone restarted normally after battery pull. I guess the S3 is not perfect like I thought.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

So is turning off the device and turning it on the same as restarting?

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

I have no idea.... I know where I work, I have to shut the phone down, we're not allowed to have it in our work areas, so almost every day the phone gets shut down at least once (during the work week). I have no idea if it makes any difference or is the same........

Same as a restart vs battery pull. I am just ASSUMING that the battery pull is much like shutting a Unix system down by pushing the power button (generally something you don't want to do) vs proper restart or shut down sequence.

I wish I knew more about this. Perhaps if I head over to the Xda website I can learn more.

Anyone wishing to enlighten us is always appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze