Rootin Tootin.

garry1bowie

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Guys, if I root, does that stop me from getting OTA updates from Samsung? Plus I'm on a Mac which makes a relatively simple task seem like climbing Everest with you testicles locked in a vice and a red hot poker shoved up your ass!! :-!

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I was rooted until the OTA they released for US Cellular about a month ago.

I could not install the OTA because when it reboots, it would boot to Clockwork Mod thus causing the OTA to fail.

Only once I downloaded the update file from Samsung for US Cellular directly could I install the update, which "unrooted" my device. To me this was fine. I only rooted to gain back WiFi tethering access.

Have not bothered rooting again since due to having a few issues with SuperUser access causing problems on my end. I may root it again in the future, but not 100% positive on that.

garry1bowie

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of going down the route of rooting, see what I did there, then installing mobile Odin, dragging the files on to the S3 and updating that way? Would this be an ok way to do it?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe there are ways around it and if you are running a Rom with the latest update you don't even have to download it over the OTA. But yes I believe it is possible to update with root on but even so you can always unroot and do it again.

garry1bowie

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replys guys, I'll have a look into it. Like I say, I'm on a Mac so as you know things aren't as straight forward as they are on a PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21