Jelly Bean Confirmed for October!

imtoomuch

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
It's funny how people are so excited about Jellybean... yet I don't think it will make a huge difference to the SGS3. Well... maybe with the exception of the addition of "Google Now".

I remember that every time I get excited for the release of Jelly Bean and it makes me sad. I think I'll eventually root to have the Vanilla experience. Vanilla Jelly Bean >> TouchWiz

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I remember that every time I get excited for the release of Jelly Bean and it makes me sad. I think I'll eventually root to have the Vanilla experience. Vanilla Jelly Bean >> TouchWiz

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

in principle im a vanilla fan but i have grown dependant on some touchwiz features. il wait for official update, play with it for a week, then look for the best vanilla or custom rom if i dont like it ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 30 mb update wasn't jelly bean not really sure what it did I don't even have the brightness on the tab bar. I have the us Verizon version.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 30 mb update wasn't jelly bean not really sure what it did I don't even have the brightness on the tab bar. I have the us Verizon version.

ouch youre still pretty far behind then. i dont live there but i feel the hate for US carriers, they have way too much control.. its wrong!
we'l know all about it when JB update comes mate..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I also had a bit of lag going back to the home screen but I installed nova launcher and now it's super fast and much more personalized. It's a free app that doesn't need root. Try it.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I also had a bit of lag going back to the home screen but I installed nova launcher and now it's super fast and much more personalized. It's a free app that doesn't need root. Try it.

yeah u gota pay to get all features though. i tried it and still had that lag waiting for homescreen widgets and folders drawing themself when returning from some heavy app use same as i do with (free) Go Launcher :(

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I flashed the CM10 rom to my wife's galaxy s3, holy crap was it nice. So smooth, I loved all the lock screen options and customizations. Couldn't believe how much more refined everything felt.

Then my wife complained that she was used to the s-planner calendar and wanted the old look back. :(

Luckily I had backed up the entire phone with the clockwork mod. Restoring took me like 3 minutes. Bye bye jelly bean, see you in October with all your touchwiz extras...

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I do have nova launcher it works very smoothly like the customization of it.

gecko1984

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I'm not waiting. I'm on cm10 now and love it. Its been almost a week now. I'm not going back.

I was thinking of getting cm10 too, but I wanted to wait for a stable release. Coming from iphone which I have always jailbroken, I nevertheless still feel a bit insecure about rooting. I was quite comfortable with the jailbreak process, but now looking at how to root, I feel like I don't know enough about the whole procedure, like recovery etc. I admit that iphone felt easy to go back to stock, simply plugging it into iTunes to go through backup and restore. Reading about bricked devices and warranty loss due to root doesn't make it attractive to me.. I love my S3 and I don't want to hurt it ;-)

From what I've read so far you need to have Cm9 to be able to flash cm10?

I guess I'll stick to the official stuff first until I know more about the whole root and flash procedures, or at least until I read an article on how superior cm10 is in comparison to touchwiz.

Sent from my stock GT - I9300 from Luxembourg, Europe using Android Central Forums

el_mariach

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I guess I'll stick to the official stuff first until I know more about the whole root and flash procedures, or at least until I read an article on how superior cm10 is in comparison to touchwiz.

Sent from my stock GT - I9300 from Luxembourg, Europe using Android Central Forums

If you're not comfortable with rooting the phone and your happy with touch wiz then I wouldn't recommend rooting the phone. You don't have to have cm9 in order to go to cm10 either. But the reason I rooted my phone and stuck cm10 on it was because I came from a Nexus S. I missed the feel of that phone. And what I also missed was a pure Google experience. I have never liked bloatware and by the looks of it, doesn't look like I ever really will. I was never much for all the gimmicks like swiping across the screen or the phone watching for your eyes to be watching it. Those are all great features, not bashing the phone so don't get hostile with me. But I want a pure Google experience. Unfortunately I was not able to get the Galaxy Nexus when my last phone broke down, so I had to make the best of it with this phone. I never had to root my phone before this one, so what I can say is read up on it and watch tons of videos till your comfortable with it if you do plan on rooting. If not then you have no reason to really root it.

Last edited:

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of getting cm10 too, but I wanted to wait for a stable release. Coming from iphone which I have always jailbroken, I nevertheless still feel a bit insecure about rooting. I was quite comfortable with the jailbreak process, but now looking at how to root, I feel like I don't know enough about the whole procedure, like recovery etc. I admit that iphone felt easy to go back to stock, simply plugging it into iTunes to go through backup and restore. Reading about bricked devices and warranty loss due to root doesn't make it attractive to me.. I love my S3 and I don't want to hurt it ;-)

I had never rooted an Android phone before (always had iPhone) but I consider myself fairly tech savvy so I didn't have any qualms about trying it. Honestly the ability to back up the entire image of the phone with clockwork recovery was amazing. Once I found out my wife wanted the old look back I just restored the backup and everything was back as if nothing happened. It was a good learning experience for when I get my android, I think I'll be rooting and flashing in the near future.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I had never rooted an Android phone before (always had iPhone) but I consider myself fairly tech savvy so I didn't have any qualms about trying it. Honestly the ability to back up the entire image of the phone with clockwork recovery was amazing. Once I found out my wife wanted the old look back I just restored the backup and everything was back as if nothing happened. It was a good learning experience for when I get my android, I think I'll be rooting and flashing in the near future.

Welcome to android!!!!!!

Sent from my GS3....

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I never had to root my phone before this one, so what I can say is read up on it and watch tons of videos till your comfortable with it if you do plan on rooting.

Good advice! It also involves a lot of reading as well! If you take the time to read the how to's and watch the many videos available, it should be a piece of cake for anyone!

I'm happy with my phone stock, for now, because its been working so well out of the box, for me. I will root when the time comes! :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Good advice! It also involves a lot of reading as well! If you take the time to read the how to's and watch the many videos available, it should be a piece of cake for anyone!

I'm happy with my phone stock, for now, because its been working so well out of the box, for me. I will root when the time comes! :)

+1

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
How can I create a shortcut for the setting to turn 3g off in a unrooted phone ? That would be a battery saver... It takes too long to get there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20