1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Just got a samsung galaxy s3.....

Just switched from the Iphone 4 to a samsung s3. I loving it so far but only 1 problem.
    The battery is HORRIBLE compared to the 4. I mean i have to charge the thing after 7 hours. I could have gone all day + some of the next day of use with my 2 year old used 4. I really have to not use this thing at all if i want some battery left by the end of the day.

What the hell, I thought the s3 was supposed to have great battery life? Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

---------- Post Merged at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:01 PM ----------

also how do you upgrade to jelly bean?

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Just got a samsung galaxy s3.....

jellybean isnt realeased yet.
    look in battery settings to see whats chewing the battery. post a screenshot if you can.
    having wifi on in an area with weak or no wifi will hammer the batt, keep GPS off til u need it.
    Dont use LTE unless u have a reasonable signal, get used to keeping screen brightness low, it actualy looks nicer when u get used to it. check for updates to make sure the firmware is up to date

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

---------- Post Merged at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Here's the stats

screen- %40
    cell stand by %33
    Android OS %9
    Media Server %8

Yeah i think i'll be going back to iphone, I can't play a game on this phone without using battery life. It's insane. It even rains when it's doing noting. I used to use my 4 for 2 days straight without charge. I just don't get how this have a bigger battery but only last 4-5 hours

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

tbh thats not normal and prob a faulty unit but think youve made your mind up lol

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

That battery life is odd. Install greenpower and report back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

First thing I do to preserve battery life is TURN OFF LTE. 4G-H+ internet is still plenty fast. Also like others have said... goto the battery menu and see what is consuming the most battery life.

I can use my phone heavily and get 11 hours... so try and figure out the problem before returning the phone.

Yea wait until you have the iphone 5 with 4" Screen and LTE... It's gonna be the same....if battery is #1 to you grab a Razr HD maxx when it drops.... But if you truly like the GS3 install "Phone info" to turn off LTE, turn your screen down to 50% and enjoy... Just use LTE when downloading or streaming...

Sent from my GS3....

I came from a 4S a couple months ago and I have found battery life to be about the same. There may be something mucking up your battery life. Like Funky said, look at battery settings to see. I always leave GPS, wifi and LTE on and the only time I see a significant battery drain is in a poor signal area, whether it be wifi or cellular. In those cases it may make sense to disconnect whichever one is the problem.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

The battery life on the iPhone is better (in my experience). I've used both Android and iPhone for 3 years now, and I'm very familiar with both platforms.
    I'm currently using a Verizon S3. The battery life on the iPhone is better, but remember the screen on the S3 is substantially larger. This accounts for a not insignificant difference in power drain. Add LTE to it, and I think the S3's battery life is as good as you'll get from a high-powered 4.8" LTE smartphone.
    32GB Nexus 5 32GB Nexus 7

I think there's other things you can probably try...

First, do you have auto sync, GPS, blue tooth turned on? Try turning wifi off when not using it. They'll eat you battery. Also what brightness setting are you at? How's your reception?

Second, try and reboot the phone before you charge it for the night, and then give it the next day to see if anything changed. Or just switch to back to the iphone if that's what you still intend to do.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

install gsam battery app and see whats eating your battery. Are you in a place with little service? Ive noticed today when i was in a spot with only 2 bars my battery life was horrible, i barely used it and i was down to 15% in 9 hours. You can also try juicedefender

Default Just got a samsung galaxy s3.....

Yeah try what the others said....you should get more than 7 hours.

That being said, the S3 has a bigger screen and LTE, both of which use more battery than your iPhone does. It's kind of like saying the Mustang you just bought gets worse mileage than your old Corolla. Of course it does...
    Thanked by:

Can you guys tell me if I should be concerned? I started out at 96 percent or so and I didn't use it much today. Juice defender plus installed. Brightness at 25 percent. Gps off.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just got a samsung galaxy s3.....-uploadfromtaptalk1360032772352.jpg  
    V J

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kergosien Jr View Post
    Can you guys tell me if I should be concerned? I started out at 96 percent or so and I didn't use it much today. Juice defender plus installed. Brightness at 25 percent. Gps off.

Yes you should be concerned. It takes me 7.5 hours of non-stop usage in full screen brightness (set to auto) before I run down my battery from a full charge. At one point during a long drive I watched Harry Potter on my phone (full movie, 2+ hours, locally stored) and only lost roughly 20% battery life, I was able to use the navigation on our way back. I'm not bragging, I'm just giving you an indication of what a normal S3 battery performance should be similar to.

Anyway uninstall Juice Defender. Don't use any battery saving apps, they're useless. If you're using LTE then expect dramatically shortened battery life (seriously, LTE/4G is a battery hog, if you don't need 4g speeds switch it off and watch your battery life double or triple). Also, I don't know what that icon is on your notification bar right next to your WiFi icon but it looks like some sort of broadcasting feature (maybe NFC or S Beam??), if that's the case then it's most likely the culprit of your horrible battery performance.
    V J

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Typical battery usage should be like this. Notice that screen is also my top battery hog, which means I haven't been trying very hard to conserve battery for this charge cycle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just got a samsung galaxy s3.....-uploadfromtaptalk1360038596112.jpg  

I got nothing to add but a question. When you get the phone ypur supposed to run down to10% then let it charge back up. I know on iphone you do this but not sure on the S3? Maybe it helps (i havent seen much gain from it) and i run it down about every month and charge her back up.

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myIphone4s View Post
    I got nothing to add but a question. When you get the phone ypur supposed to run down to10% then let it charge back up. I know on iphone you do this but not sure on the S3? Maybe it helps (i havent seen much gain from it) and i run it down about every month and charge her back up.
    from my experience this only needs done the first couple times you charge it out of the box.
    Thanked by: