Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hiero
  • 1 Post By GrooveRite
  • 1 Post By hiero
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Wink SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it

Ok, so I accidentally dropped my phone on a concrete walkway a couple of weeks ago and ended up with this:
    SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it-_mg_3266.jpg SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it-_mg_3267.jpg

I like to just go with an invisibleshield on my phone and no case. Unfortunately, it fell JUST on the right spot on the corner/side where the concrete hit the space where the invisibleshield wasn't - I'm not saying the invisibleshield would have prevented this, just that it definitely hit where it wasn't covering. Fortunately, having the shield on there was nice because I was still able to use the phone and none of the shards of glass dislodged, so that's nice.

So I was able to find a guy selling all the parts of essentially a brand new phone without the motherboard. I was trying to figure out why someone would end up with just the guts of a phone and really couldn't figure it out, but it was the right price and I ended up with a spare battery and a bunch of spare parts that may come in handy in the future (or not). I think one reason I could sort out in my head that someone would want to sell all the parts except the motherboard was if the phone had a bad ESN (i.e. possibly stolen). In which case, I feel really bad for anyone who might have had their phone stolen, but obviously, there's no way to verify this and the seller had a 100% approval on ebay, so hopefully that's not the case. FYI, they are now selling repair kits on ebay for roughly $150.

I didn't do any research and ended up purchasing just the glass in the few minutes of frantic rushing after I dropped my phone. Unfortunately, and this is important, our phone has the touch sensor layer, digitizer electronics, side bezel, and the glass FUSED together into one piece. This is done as far as I have read, to make the phone as thin as it is. This also means that you cannot just replace the glass. There's a repair video out there that shows just how difficult this is. Now that I have the glass coming though and a spare cracked screen that I won't need, I'm going to try to replace the glass and have a backup in case this happens again.

In any case, here's the new parts and the old next to each other (this is prior to me taking the cover over the motherboard off, the device on the right should look normal to you):
    SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it-_mg_3270.jpg

Here it is with the cover off, just several philips head screws which is VERY nice, thanks Samsung!
    SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it-_mg_3272.jpg

Here's the speaker portion popped off. It just comes right off with a little fanagling, no screws or anything which is nice. The bottom microphone piece comes out the same way.
    SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it-_mg_3273.jpg

Here's the motherboard pulled out, it's only held in with one screw on the bottom portion and that top speaker piece that popped out:
    SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it-_mg_3275.jpg

And here we are all put back together, just exactly the opposite of how you take it apart, the whole process was probably 30-45 minutes tops because I was very careful and taking pictures.
    SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it-_mg_3281.jpg
    Thanked by:
    funkylogik likes this.

Default Re: SIII screen CRACKED, but then I fixed it

Good work man!!

I need that speaker housing. I dented my speaker grill with my headset in my pocket. Know where I can get an ORIGINAL from??
    funkylogik likes this.

Great job man. I'd be WAY too scared to attempt this myself.

That's why i just get a case along with the invisishield. Haha

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Good work man!!

I need that speaker housing. I dented my speaker grill with my headset in my pocket. Know where I can get an ORIGINAL from??
    I remember your post about that. Wasn't that a while back??! Did you just give up finding a replacement piece?

Global Posts
    1,375 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Nice. I heard the glass/digitizer are glued which would mean a heat gun which means a mess. Would not be an easy task. Good to see they have kits now though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by hiero View Post
    I remember your post about that. Wasn't that a while back??! Did you just give up finding a replacement piece?
    I looked EVERYWHERE for a replacement and came to the conclusion that there are A LOT of third party (fake) parts out there for this phone. I want OEM and it seems that the only place you can get it from is directly from Samsung. I asked Samsung for the part so I can DIY but they said, NO, lol! They told me to simply send it to them. I didn't send mine in (yet) because its mainly a cosmetic thing and not functionally affecting my phone. Also, the wait time is close to a month so I'm going to wait for a few till I send it in. Besides, the dent has given my phone character and I can easily identify it as mine, lol!

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Wow. Nice job. So did you end up getting a screen protector w/ better coverage? ;-)

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

so am i thinking right that instead of replacing the glass, you just put your motherboard in the bought phone?
    clever man. how much it cost ya?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    so am i thinking right that instead of replacing the glass, you just put your motherboard in the bought phone?
    clever man. how much it cost ya?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    I got everything on ebay for $180, not bad at all especially considering I got an extra battery, battery cover, and assorted pieces out of the deal. Turns out the kits to replace the glass are pretty much the same process as that whole glass+digitizer is basically everything you see minus the electronic bits like the antenna boards and such.

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    Wow. Nice job. So did you end up getting a screen protector w/ better coverage? ;-)
    HA! No! I just got a new invisibleshield HD that I'm waiting on. Besides, I know I can fix it now... for $150, but still better than purchasing a new phone each time AND better than buying insurance for the damn thing since it would cost me $150 in deductible anyways, not to mention the $7 bucks or whatever it is every month!

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    I looked EVERYWHERE for a replacement and came to the conclusion that there are A LOT of third party (fake) parts out there for this phone. I want OEM and it seems that the only place you can get it from is directly from Samsung. I asked Samsung for the part so I can DIY but they said, NO, lol! They told me to simply send it to them. I didn't send mine in (yet) because its mainly a cosmetic thing and not functionally affecting my phone. Also, the wait time is close to a month so I'm going to wait for a few till I send it in. Besides, the dent has given my phone character and I can easily identify it as mine, lol!
    You're welcome to my extra one, Check your PMs
    Thanked by:
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

thats excelent since ive heard Samsung quote something like $275 for screen replacement

GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by hiero View Post
    You're welcome to my extra one, Check your PMs
    PM sent! Thank you!

ROM
    clean rom ics

It was likely a stolen display unit. Many of those use the glass of the real phone.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.
    If you build a man a fire, he will be warm for the day. If you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.