battery issues

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I FINALLY got the S3 (AT&T) this past weekend after much waiting, and I absolutely love it. I came from an iphone 3G, and this phone beats the hell out of it. However, the battery drain on my phone is bothering me. For example, this morning after 3 hrs it was down around 45%. Admittedly, I've been kinda heavy on it, but I still believe thats a bit excessive. When I woke up and took off the charger, I was on Facebook for a couple of minutes and it went down to 98% pretty quickly. It's been an issue since I got the phone from Best Buy. Here are some of the steps I've taken:

1. Went under developer options and selected "no background processes"
2. Set the screen brightness to a little below halfway
3. downloaded juice defender
4. Occasionally go the task manager to close any active application (usually not an issue due to #1)

According to the battery stats right now the android system is responsible for 56% and the screen 21%. One thing I realized after buying my phone is when they put the battery in the phone at Best Buy that it was only at about 50%. Did not putting in a fully charged battery get me off to a bad start? Could getting a replacement battery help correct the issue, or could it be a problem with the phone itself? Or is it user error somehow?

I should also mention that the phone gets pretty hot after heavy usage and when charging. Not sure if that's an actual problem or not, but it gets hot at the bottom half of the phone. Again, not sure if it's related.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!