The CHEAP Plastic on the Galaxy S3

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This isn't to say one is better than the other. I personally use a S3, my wife uses an Iphone 4s. She will be upgrading to the 5.

I've been reading reviews on the Iphone 5 and don't get this at all. Reviewers point out that the Iphone doesn't feel cheap or is somehow superior because it isn't plastic. Plastic, by all accounts holds up a whole lot better when dropped than glass or aluminum. I found this to be particularly amusing.

"Ditching the glass back and reducing the thickness of the glass panel on the front has affected the design of the metal band around the edge of the iPhone. It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error.

These small scuffs will catch the light and make the phone look visibly worn. We suspect that it won't be as noticeable on the white model because the metal edging is silver, so that's worth bearing in mind when you come to order your colour choice."

This prominent website stated that the phone didn't feel cheap unlike its competitors and praises the Iphone...but then mentions that a NEW phone is already wearing on the edges?

SMH

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been saying this for years. Polycarbonates, high quality plastics, and gorilla glass found on your typical Android phone is actually more damage resistant than the glass/aluminum on the iPhone. Flexible plastics and polycarbs are much better at absorbing/distributing impact energy away from the fragile screen and preventing screen shatters when you drop your phone. Thusly, "cheap plastic" phones are actually superior. It's the perfect example of how uninformed consumers and biased reviewers don't know what is or isn't good.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice thread title... make anyone interested in the S3 see the title and form an immediate opinion on the S3's "cheap feeling" even though you don't find it to be cheap at all. I hate thread titles like this.

Anyhow, yeah it's a stupid thing to say. Every time something is lighter and thinner people automatically call it "cheap" feeling yet if it's weighty and thick they call it "heavy and cumbersome". Humans really are moronic. You can't have both. But, again... the S3 is nice and light and even though the plastic cover is a thin flimsy plastic who cares? What's the usual that will happen if you drop it non-glass first?... the back cover might pop off. So... you put it back on! If the iPhone 4 and 4S are dropped and hit backside the glass breaks. At least Apple wised up and removed the glass off the back.

Either way, no matter what people will b*tch about things whether they are nice and light and thin or solid and heavy and feel built like a tank.

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
polycarbonate is actualy the perfect material for a phone with such screen size, its very shock absorbant so takes a bit of strain off the screen in an impact. its also very thin for its durability so the removable battery cover is wafer thin.
put it this way.. do u think the Curiosity rover on mars uses certain materials just becase they feel more pleasing in the hand lol? :p

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
@Rev "humans really are moronic" lmao respect mate. my non-geek fiance actualy gives u a high-5 for that coz she asked what i was LOL about :)
im forever saying "i hate the general public" ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I've been saying this for years. Polycarbonates, high quality plastics, and gorilla glass found on your typical Android phone is actually more damage resistant than the glass/aluminum on the iPhone. Flexible plastics and polycarbs are much better at absorbing/distributing impact energy away from the fragile screen and preventing screen shatters when you drop your phone. Thusly, "cheap plastic" phones are actually superior. It's the perfect example of how uninformed consumers and biased reviewers don't know what is or isn't good.

exactly, think of bumpers (fenders?) on cars (automobiles, veHICles lol) and crumple zones on the front wings and bonnet (hood?) to absorb impact :)

lvluffinz

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm extremely happy with my SGS3. When I showed a friend it, he was immediately saying how his iPhone feels more expensive (he's an apple fanboy). He then leaves and comes back like 10 minutes later begging to hold it again because he changed his mind and realized SGS3 > iPhone.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm extremely happy with my SGS3. When I showed a friend it, he was immediately saying how his iPhone feels more expensive (he's an apple fanboy). He then leaves and comes back like 10 minutes later begging to hold it again because he changed his mind and realized SGS3 > iPhone.

yeah, it certainly grows on you eh. i love taking the case off sometimes and appreciating the design :) at first i thought it was too big n round but now i find it pretty sexy (especialy since i changed the colour with a skin.
its kinda like the gnex, at 1st i thought it was stupid lookin but now it luks sxy n feels premium too :)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
yeah, it certainly grows on you eh. i love taking the case off sometimes and appreciating the design :) at first i thought it was too big n round but now i find it pretty sexy (especialy since i changed the colour with a skin.
its kinda like the gnex, at 1st i thought it was stupid lookin but now it luks sxy n feels premium too :)

Ya when they announced the gs3 I thought it was ugly. But once I held it. I loved it right away solid device. I managed to drop it twice once today and yesterday. Both in the street. Only have a screen protector no case. 1st on the face then on the edge. No cracks or scratches.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lucky mate. i dont use screen protector as i seem to have one from the "good batch" of glass but all my cases have quite a big "lip" protuding from the screen and the leather samsung vertical flip case is what i use when im outside so that would protect the screen a lot if it slips taking it in/out of my pocket :)
is it just me who has an irrational urge to test their case lol??

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Where can I find skinz at?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
When I started to become interested in the S3 about 3 weeks ago I started watching every youtube video out there. Most are pretty standard regarding the drop tests and what not but there was one video (don't remember the name) where they put an S3 in the freezer for 2 hours, under heat lamps at 190 degrees F for 2 or 3 hours, and did a number of drop tests with it. Every single time the S3 wasn't phased. I have to say I thought the heat lamps would fry the thing in some way but it was perfectly fine after the test... I was pretty much sold after that. I will try to find that video.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
If you hate the plastic feeling, try buying an aluminum plated battery cover. I am thinking about it but have not bought one as I intend on getting Seidio Obex

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
but there was one video (don't remember the name) where they put an S3 in the freezer for 2 hours, under heat lamps at 190 degrees F for 2 or 3 hours, and did a number of drop tests with it. Every single time the S3 wasn't phased. I have to say I thought the heat lamps would fry the thing in some way but it was perfectly fine after the test... I was pretty much sold after that. I will try to find that video.

I've seen that one, with the chick doing the tests. I was pretty impressed too, but I think most of today's smartphone's would probably hold up equally well.

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
check out the water drop tests....!

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
When I was debating on whether to buy the HOX or S3, the term "build quality" popped up frequently. Apparently, build quality is how the phone feels in your hand.

I'm pretty sure the definition of build quality is self explanatory; how well built the phone is. So while Apple fanboys proclaim how "excellent their flagship's build quality is" I'd ask them to drop a One X and their phone onto a sidewalk and then tell me which one has the better build quality then.

Sent from my HTC One X

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
If you hate the plastic feeling, try buying an aluminum plated battery cover. I am thinking about it but have not bought one as I intend on getting Seidio Obex

Unless there's something special about this battery cover, aluminum plating is not a good idea if you intend to use NFC at all. There's a reason the Evo 4G LTE has a plastic cover over the area with the NFC chip. The metal will also have a negative impact on all radio transmissions - cell, wifi, GPS, etc, which is why Asus stopped making the back of their tablets 100% out of metal. I'm willing to bet either the aluminum plating is so thin that it'll chip off quickly from normal use anyway, or you'll have a terrible experience using your phone for anything network-related.