Random Social Chit-Chat

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Social Random Chit-Chat

Uh-Ohhh! :0 . . .
Btw, Cyber Warrior, what do you think of that CLEANROM? Are you happy with it? Is there a central place . . for an android noob to go . . to try and decide on what root/mod/ROM/rec, etc.-etc. to possibly try-out? Or are there some consensus (safest & most stock like) ones? Thanks.
It's nice to have a moderator who's not just a moderator, but a 'Super Moderator'! :cool: And with a very cool avatar pic as well. :cool:
Thanks.. Yes I recommend CleanROM if you want a stock experience with some extra goodies included. This is the first device to where Ive actually been happy with the stock ROM that comes with the phone and I know a lot of others that say the same thing. The only reason that I've even rooted the phone is most likely for the free wireless tethering.. other than that I would be more than happy keeping this phone the way it came straight out of the box.

I'm not sure which version you have.. I know the international version of this phone has TONS of custom rom choices.. almost too many, its very overwhelming... but for Verizon which I have, the two popular ROMs are CleanROM and probably JellyWiz or CM10... CleanROM is basically the same as stock but its deodexed. Im also using the Kind of Crap mods and Imoysens lean kernel.

There isnt necessarily a "safe" ROM... they' re all pretty much safe as long as you have a nandroid backup of your stock ROM just in case you screw something up... But there are stable and non stable. Anything thats labeled as beta or alpha is still going through its testing phase and will most likely have some bugs. As for a centralized place to go for info... we have root guides and ROM guides/threads/info located right here in the forums but you'll find the developers hanging out on XDA or Rootzwiki. If you can't find the info.. just ask or start a new thread asking for help and there will be plenty of members willing to help you out.. One thing Android Central strives on is friendly kind members willing to help.. unlike the other Android forums out there that tell you to go search for an answer or make fun of someone not as knowledgeable.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.. Yes I recommend CleanROM if you want a stock experience with some extra goodies included. This is the first device to where Ive actually been happy with the stock ROM that comes with the phone and I know a lot of others that say the same thing. The only reason that I've even rooted the phone is most likely for the free wireless tethering.. other than that I would be more than happy keeping this phone the way it came straight out of the box.

I'm not sure which version you have.. I know the international version of this phone has TONS of custom rom choices.. almost too many, its very overwhelming... but for Verizon which I have, the two popular ROMs are CleanROM and probably JellyWiz or CM10... CleanROM is basically the same as stock but its deodexed. Im also using the Kind of Crap mods and Imoysens lean kernel.

There isnt necessarily a "safe" ROM... they' re all pretty much safe as long as you have a nandroid backup of your stock ROM just in case you screw something up... But there are stable and non stable. Anything thats labeled as beta or alpha is still going through its testing phase and will most likely have some bugs. As for a centralized place to go for info... we have root guides and ROM guides/threads/info located right here in the forums but you'll find the developers hanging out on XDA or Rootzwiki. If you can't find the info.. just ask or start a new thread asking for help and their will be plenty of members willing to help you out.. One thing Android Central strives on is friendly kind members willing to help.. unlike the other Android forums out there that tell you to go search for an answer or make fun of someone not as knowledgeable.

thats why i love this forum. theres a few "google it" people but not many :)

i also genuinely like this phone stock :)
1st time ive kept a phone skinned.
just wonder if itl be faster with a lighter rom.
i use Nova launcher, main thing i like in touchwiz is the quick toggles but im sure i could add them or a rom includes them.

so the tethering thing.. is that stock option removed/blocked on the US androids?

ps, on the s3, does a nandroid backup have to be on external sd to avoid being wiped?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

thats why i love this forum. theres a few "google it" people but not many :)

i also genuinely like this phone stock :)
1st time ive kept a phone skinned.
just wonder if itl be faster with a lighter rom.
i use Nova launcher, main thing i like in touchwiz is the quick toggles but im sure i could add them or a rom includes them.

so the tethering thing.. is that stock option removed/blocked on the US androids?

ps, on the s3, does a nandroid backup have to be on external sd to avoid being wiped?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

I disliked touch wiz when I had the s3 cause there was so much wasted space on such a large screen,nova launcher and other launchers do a better job of utilizing the entire screen.. :thumbup:

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

I disliked touch wiz when I had the s3 cause there was so much wasted space on such a large screen,nova launcher and other launchers do a better job of utilizing the entire screen.. :thumbup:

totaly man. id never use the stock launcher.
in the 1st hour i had disablded capacitive button and charging LEDs and installed Go Launcher, now im a Nova Prime man... such a breath of fresh air :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

this is what i mean about the stock tethering option
uploadfromtaptalk1352155932620.jpg
is that missing from US phones?

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 44871

I think I may have seen that on my S3... Not too sure.

But I have it here.

Sent from my HTC One X

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352156178660.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352156178660.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 12

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 44871

The U.S version has it,only difference is that some carriers require you to pay for it like Sprint. At&t it comes included with the deal. :)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Same here... using Nova. The UX TouchWiz features are great and the skin isnt all that bad looking... the only thing I didn't really like was the launcher. Nova has too many great customizations and options available to pass up over the stock launcher.

The stock tethering (mobile hotspot) is a paid service... something like $20 a month I think. With a rooted device you have free tethering apps.. which actually don't work so well with the GS3, CleanROM has the stock mobile hotspot feature hacked to work without paying for it. I don't use it all that often but its nice to have just in case I'm on the road somewhere and I want to power my Wifi Tablet.

Why stock tethering is free in the UK?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

The U.S version has it,only difference is that some carriers require you to pay for it like Sprint. At&t it comes included with the deal. :)

so people use FoxFi because it makes tethering undetectable?
but u gota be rooted?
my carrier is pre-pay so they cant charge me for tethering but they punish by throttling data connection. Clair used mine to download a book to the kindle and think ive been throttled. gona ring and ask them to unthrottle me before i bin their sim and go elsewhere :) democracy :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Originally Posted by funkylogik<br />
attachment.php
<br />
hmph :(
<br />
..<br />
.<br />
<b>Funk, I could never live in your neck of the woods!!!!!!!!</b>
me either lol.
humans shouldnt live so far from the equator or we'd have more fur :) we spread across the world faster than we could evolve (soz Mango)
worst thing is i have Seasonal Afffective Disorder (need sunlight to produce the happy hormone Seratonin) doh :)

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

me either lol.
humans shouldnt live so far from the equator or we'd have more fur :) we spread across the world faster than we could evolve (soz Mango)
worst thing is i have Seasonal Afffective Disorder (need sunlight to produce the happy hormone Seratonin) doh :)

Yikes, known fact that you have more depression in cold weather climates! I want to be a happy camper: sun, beach, and chicks in bikini's and thongs!!!!

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

me either lol.

Huh?

Sent from my HTC One X