Galaxy S3 Battery life

Hellfire7

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi there

I am one of those new users who have switched from iPhone to Android.
I heard that the Galaxy S3 battery life was suppose to be great i.e last a whole day with medium to hard use.
However, when i purchased mine last week I found that my battery life is rather poor. I had 100% at 9am and now 2:00 my charge is close to 40%.
I do not have any apps running the background and i cleared my ram. I am running on Power Save mode for the whole day, sync is on, wifi is off, 4G is on, GPS on and may brightness is 1/10th of its max capability
i do get the Com.google.process.gapps error, im not sure if that does anything to the battery life.

Is there any recommended apps or anything I can do maximize my battery power?
Would it be helpful to upgrade my battery?

Any help you be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
GPS and/or a weak 4g sgnal will eat the battery mate but id also research the gapps (google app package) error even though it probably isnt causing battery drain.
also disable google maps if you dont use it much

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

Hellfire7

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
GPS and/or a weak 4g sgnal will eat the battery mate but id also research the gapps (google app package) error even though it probably isnt causing battery drain.
also disable google maps if you dont use it much

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

I did some research about the error and it seems to be an issue with syncing --> gmail --> internet sync off... at least that seems to do the trick

i turned off GPS and ill see how it goes.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Dude, don't turn off GPS, you don't need to, and please don't disable Google Maps! GPS will only drain battery when being used by GPS apps, not when those apps aren't open. You can see the flashing target in the notification bar, that says GPS is trying to acquire a location. The only other time GPS will be used is for certain sites that check your location like Google's main search page, but I turn off the location under Google's search so it doesn't check my GPS location each time I simply want to do a quick search. Outside of that GPS is not a problem at all.

Sounds to me that error you were getting having to do with mail sync is the culprit. I don't have any syncing email accounts either on my phone, I go into my email app (K-9) and hit check when I want to check mail and it does all three of my accounts. For business use one would need the constant sync but I don't since it's just my personal device.

I typically drain 1% every 2 - 2.5 hours just standing by. I've found the thing that drains the battery the most is web browsing, wow what a drainer it is! But, it still lasts me a whole day even posting a ton on here. Even watching movies drains battery less. I was on a flight recently and watched about 4 hours of movies and I think I was only at like 65% battery from 100% or something around there. I was stunned as I expected more drain.

Funky is right though... 4G will drain the battery on any device. Sometimes it says you have full bars but something with the signal won't be right and it will cause the battery to drain. As an IT Tech for a living I've seen this issue with 4G Blackberry's for a long time now.

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Dude, don't turn off GPS, you don't need to, and please don't disable Google Maps! GPS will only drain battery when being used by GPS apps, not when those apps aren't open. You can see the flashing target in the notification bar, that says GPS is trying to acquire a location. The only other time GPS will be used is for certain sites that check your location like Google's main search page, but I turn off the location under Google's search so it doesn't check my GPS location each time I simply want to do a quick search. Outside of that GPS is not a problem at all.

Sounds to me that error you were getting having to do with mail sync is the culprit. I don't have any syncing email accounts either on my phone, I go into my email app (K-9) and hit check when I want to check mail and it does all three of my accounts. For business use one would need the constant sync but I don't since it's just my personal device.

I typically drain 1% every 2 - 2.5 hours just standing by. I've found the thing that drains the battery the most is web browsing, wow what a drainer it is! But, it still lasts me a whole day even posting a ton on here. Even watching movies drains battery less. I was on a flight recently and watched about 4 hours of movies and I think I was only at like 65% battery from 100% or something around there. I was stunned as I expected more drain.

Funky is right though... 4G will drain the battery on any device. Sometimes it says you have full bars but something with the signal won't be right and it will cause the battery to drain. As an IT Tech for a living I've seen this issue with 4G Blackberry's for a long time now.

Rev.

i just disable maps coz im sick of it starting itself when i rarely use it lol.
are you SURE! GPS wont always be lookin for a satellite when youre indoors etc and wasting battery mate? if youre absolutely sure, ill leave mine on to help in a theft/loss situation :)

p.s, as rev says, if youre keeping sync off then keep mobile data switched off unless you need it or theres an app that lets you use 3g instead of 4g if your 3 is stronger, think its named "phone signal data" or something

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi there

I am one of those new users who have switched from iPhone to Android.
I heard that the Galaxy S3 battery life was suppose to be great i.e last a whole day with medium to hard use.
However, when i purchased mine last week I found that my battery life is rather poor. I had 100% at 9am and now 2:00 my charge is close to 40%.
I do not have any apps running the background and i cleared my ram. I am running on Power Save mode for the whole day, sync is on, wifi is off, 4G is on, GPS on and may brightness is 1/10th of its max capability
i do get the Com.google.process.gapps error, im not sure if that does anything to the battery life.

Is there any recommended apps or anything I can do maximize my battery power?
Would it be helpful to upgrade my battery?

Any help you be greatly appreciated.

I came from the Iphone 4 and actually almost returned the S3 because of the battery. Here is what I did....I downloaded Juice Defender free version and tried it. It gave me 50% better battery life. I then decided to try the Juice Defender Ultimate. That increased my battery life by 200% consistently each day. I figured spending $5 for an app would be better than returning the unit.

I also ordered the Hyperion 4200 from Amazon. That would give you excellent battery life BUT you are restricted to their one and only case.

Juice Defender Ultimate is a great solution. There are limitations. For example when I stream Pandora, I have to switch it off. If I am dialing a phone number sometimes its sluggish in dialing extensions and might need to be turned off. There are ways to customize the software and I am sure there is a feature so that I do not have to disable it, I just do not need to customize it as of yet. By the way, I select Balanced for my profile on Juice Defender. You can select Aggressive if you really want to conserve battery power.

Now the unit allows me to get through my day with about 20-45% left at the end of night. The phone is taken off the charger at 6 a.m. and goes back on the charger at 8 p.m..

---------- Post Merged at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Also if the keyboard starts to drive you nuts, I would switch to Swiftkey 3. The more you use that keyboard, the more it customizes it for you and you will wind up liking the predictive wording again.

Hellfire7

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Rev.

so you think if i switch to k-9 as my email client and disable my default email address my battery would be better?

---------- Post Merged at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:37 PM ----------

I came from the Iphone 4 and actually almost returned the S3 because of the battery. Here is what I did....I downloaded Juice Defender free version and tried it. It gave me 50% better battery life. I then decided to try the Juice Defender Ultimate. That increased my battery life by 200% consistently each day. I figured spending $5 for an app would be better than returning the unit.

I also ordered the Hyperion 4200 from Amazon. That would give you excellent battery life BUT you are restricted to their one and only case.

Juice Defender Ultimate is a great solution. There are limitations. For example when I stream Pandora, I have to switch it off. If I am dialing a phone number sometimes its sluggish in dialing extensions and might need to be turned off. There are ways to customize the software and I am sure there is a feature so that I do not have to disable it, I just do not need to customize it as of yet. By the way, I select Balanced for my profile on Juice Defender. You can select Aggressive if you really want to conserve battery power.

Now the unit allows me to get through my day with about 20-45% left at the end of night. The phone is taken off the charger at 6 a.m. and goes back on the charger at 8 p.m..

---------- Post Merged at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Also if the keyboard starts to drive you nuts, I would switch to Swiftkey 3. The more you use that keyboard, the more it customizes it for you and you will wind up liking the predictive wording again.

I just got the Juice Defender Ultimate and ill see how it works. I was a customize button there should you ever need to change your settings.
I am considering the Hyperion 4200 but its looks massive and the Galaxy loses its nice slim profile. Whats your opinion on it in terms of bulk?

Thank you everyone for your help! if there is anything else please keep posting.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
so you think if i switch to k-9 as my email client and disable my default email address my battery would be better?

---------- Post Merged at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:37 PM ----------

I just got the Juice Defender Ultimate and ill see how it works. I was a customize button there should you ever need to change your settings.
I am considering the Hyperion 4200 but its looks massive and the Galaxy loses its nice slim profile. Whats your opinion on it in terms of bulk?

Thank you everyone for your help! if there is anything else please keep posting.

if it was me, id rather just carry a spare battery in my back pocket mate ;)

Hellfire7

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
if it was me, id rather just carry a spare battery in my back pocket mate ;)

are there any recommended brands i.e Hyperion? I do realized that if i do with cheap ones the battery will die in no time.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If I was going to do an extended battery, I would go with the Hyperion 4200. The reviews on Amazon are all positive and they rave about the battery life. For me, I bought the phone for its slim design and features and I hate to admit it but, I also bought it for the flip case that is made by Samsung. I bought a Spigen for the pocket that is on the inside but it did not look as good nor did it fit as well.

Hellfire7

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
If I was going to do an extended battery, I would go with the Hyperion 4200. The reviews on Amazon are all positive and they rave about the battery life. For me, I bought the phone for its slim design and features and I hate to admit it but, I also bought it for the flip case that is made by Samsung. I bought a Spigen for the pocket that is on the inside but it did not look as good nor did it fit as well.

The only thing that is keeping me away from the hyperion 4200 is its size. i've seen videos etc.. but its still hard to judge its size without holding it in person.
In the future I am considering to get an induction charger which the hyperion 4200 does not support.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that is keeping me away from the hyperion 4200 is its size. i've seen videos etc.. but its still hard to judge its size without holding it in person.
In the future I am considering to get an induction charger which the hyperion 4200 does not support.

Yeah that is one thing that turned me off of the extended batteries. Long time ago, I bought a DROID X and the battery life was not good. Verizon sold a sightly larger battery which was made by Motorola that I used. I did not have to swap cases or compromise thickness.

Samsung makes a battery for the S3. I believe it is the 2300 which will give you an extra 10% battery life. They battery is only slightly larger. I also heard that Mophie is coming out with an extended battery that I believe just plugs into the bottom of the phone. I think that unit will retail for about $120 if memory serves me correctly. Hopefully Juice Defender Ultimate will work out for you.

euradan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I found a Video on You Tube, after that I had approx. 6 till 7 hours more energy and my Samsung was faster!!

Go to You Tube and searching:
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Save lots of battery in 5 steps

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I found a Video on You Tube, after that I had approx. 6 till 7 hours more energy and my Samsung was faster!!

Go to You Tube and searching:
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Save lots of battery in 5 steps

thats an old one but a good one bro. i keep the other two scalings at .5 though for prettyness but they can be set to zero too :)

Unbranded Global s3, Official JB, Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
If just buying and loading Juice Defender Ultimate would increase my battery life by 200%... I think I'd pay a lot more than they're asking, and I think Samsung would have some of that juice built in. I ran the free version for a few weeks and saw marginal gains, at best. I did notice I ended up having to turn it off too many times to make things work right. 8 to 12 hours of "normal" usages seems to be what most people tend to get, juiced or otherwise. My old Moto flip would last almost a week, but then... about all you did was make and take calls now and then. I wish batteries lasted for weeks but have to accept they don't. Keep a charger handy, a spare battery if you need one and wait for the next technological breakthrough in batteries to come.

kingjavs

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What does "Samsung Galaxy S3 - Save lots of battery in 5 steps" do!? like literally what does it do if you set it high, or low?

Here is mine

My battery life is good, I guess, I wouldnt say excellent until I know for sure that it is. Here how I used my phone yesterday.
I unplugged my phone from charger at 7:30am

Pandora on the background for like 25 mins
Played hill climb racer for another 20 mins
the usual facebook 10-15 mins.
Watch the hangover II(1:40) with headphones, and my phone died right after that. (around 12:30pm)
brightness about 27-30%

Is that a good battery cycle? I mean 3 hours of usage seems a bit too low, but then again watching a HD movie on that big of a screen should drain the battery fast.

What do you guys think?

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Here are my Batt Stats: 25%-30% screen dimmed a combination of WiFi and LTE throughout the day, smart stay, and screen time out 15secs, emails and text moderately including voice calls screen time 3hrs 20mins

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353114665387.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353114665387.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 42

Rakesh Sharma

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi , if your battery problem still exists, pl install the update which we got in india day on 25th Nov. Build No JRO03C.I9300XXDLK1. this fixed all the battery issues, the over night discharging vanished. i full charged the fone at night around 11PM, and now it is 930PM the next day. i still have 33% battery reaining. voice calls - 1hr50 mins, screen on 2h36m, cell stand by 14h 3 m, device idle 11h 26 m, etc etc.
i am really happy now with the performance of the battery and i am not installing any app for battery maximization etc.

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
are you SURE! GPS wont always be lookin for a satellite when youre indoors etc and wasting battery mate? if youre absolutely sure, ill leave mine on to help in a theft/loss situation :)

p.s, as rev says, if youre keeping sync off then keep mobile data switched off unless you need it or theres an app that lets you use 3g instead of 4g if your 3 is stronger, think its named "phone signal data" or something

I'm on verizon and there isn't a "disable" available for maps, just force stop and I assume it starts itself again on its on.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on verizon and there isn't a "disable" available for maps, just force stop and I assume it starts itself again on its on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34