[HOW TO] Fix Copy And Paste Not Working Issue

cuddlycozy

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Ever since my phone received the update on 1/10/14, every time I try to copy or paste, the phone restarts. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Verizon Wireless. I do not have Chrome. I have never downloaded any apps. There is only one small text on the clipboard. Also, there is no longer any way to clear the clipboard, like there used to be. Everything had been fine for a year, until this recent update. I tried Samsung's live chat, and they were no help. If anyone has any simple solutions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, how can I get Samsung to fix this? It doesn't seem right that they can just come along and reduce the usefulness of a product I already own.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There is only one small text on the clipboard.
Are you unable to bring up the Clipboard by long-pressing within the Phone dialer app? If it does come up, can you clear it?

If you haven't performed a Factory Reset since the update it would be a good idea.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

cuddlycozy

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the clipboard comes up, but there is no longer any way to clear it like there used to be.
Is there a setting for factory reset? What are the negative aspects of doing that? Will I lose all my photos?
Thank you very much!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the clipboard comes up, but there is no longer any way to clear it like there used to be.
You're saying that the 'Clear' button is no longer shown?
erahasuv.jpg
Is there a setting for factory reset? What are the negative aspects of doing that? Will I lose all my photos?
You can either boot into Recovery mode and perform the Factory Reset from there, or go to Settings -> Accounts -> Backup and reset -> Factory data reset

If your photos are stored on the internal memory (rather than an SD card) then they will be lost. If you have an SD card you should store them there instead; and also back them up to your PC; and back them up to the cloud just to be safe (you can use something like Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos).

You can also use the Kies software on your PC to make a backup of most of the important information on your phone. If you have 4.3 firmware on your phone and Kies v3 you can even backup the apps on the phone (I'm not sure about the app data - you could use Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup for that).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

cuddlycozy

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that's right, the "Clear" button is no longer shown. When I select the clipboard,*nothing happens for a second, and then the phone restarts. Thank you so much for all your help!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I select the clipboard,*nothing happens for a second, and then the phone restarts.
You could try booting into Recovery mode and clearing the system cache.

I looked through the built-in apps list but can't remember where the Clipboard lives; otherwise it might be possible to just clear the cache for that app and correct the problem. Sorry.

Dimansh

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.
I was trying to use the 2nd option, but when I founr testservices app on my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition, Its buttons are not active:
tempFileForShare.jpg

**sorry for the russian**
How can I make them active to clean the cash, couse any other option does not work.

thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!
How can I make them active to clean the cache, couse any other option does not work.
I'm not so sure that clearing the cache and data will help you - I cleared them both and the Clipboard still showed the expected content. Anyway, if the buttons are not enabled then there's nothing to clear.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Dimansh

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!I'm not so sure that clearing the cache and data will help you - I cleared them both and the Clipboard still showed the expected content. Anyway, if the buttons are not enabled then there's nothing to clear.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
the same... made a hard reset and now it works

antheroo

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks on your tips, helped me fix my issue.
So happen I deleted the whole clipboard folder and had to recreate it.
However in addition to setting the right rwx permissions for owner, and group, I had to change the owner from 'root' to 'system' to work.
Hope this helps someone else in the future.
-Peace-

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't need to recreate the folder. It will be made with the first save to clipboard you make.

AC App on SGS3

Kimberly Fennessey

May 12, 2013
Visit site
i miss ad-free too.
what is this copy paste problem mate.. in which ciicumumstances/apps does it happen?
p.s can i recommend an app "Clip It" for peogle who do a lot of pasting ;)
global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

I'm having problems with my copy and paste on my boost mobile lg stylo... I can copy anything but when I try to paste anything from my copy tray it just shows up as a V... I updated both my Google app and my chrome app yesterday, could this be the problem... please get back to me as soon as possible because I use this feature constantly...

Thanks,
Kimberly Fennessey

Last edited by a moderator:

jxcheh

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys. I had this problem for 2 weeks and I have finally found a solution with no root or hard reset.

What you need to do is long press any words and a 'Share' button should appear. Scroll through and share it to 'Clipboard'.

After that it was working fine for me again!

Jeff Gothro

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Did anyone ever stop to think that uninstalling chrome and reinstalling it might fix the problem as opposed to this rooting and factory reset crap? Because that's what I did and the problem is gone now, my paste function works properly again. Only took a couple minutes too. Good luck.

jansub6887

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A and I am having issues with my clipboard/copy,cut,paste,select all not working in some apps and it is very annoying. I read your fix for your device, however, I am not very good with fixing stuff like this, is there any way you can give me a simpler step-by-step for my device to fix this issue? Also, what does it mean to ROOT a device? Thank you in advance.

Jackieintheborders

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
My clipboard suddenly stopped working, can't be sure but after a Chrome update I think. Appeared to save but unable to paste andmachine froze.
Didn't want a complicated solution or factory reset. Started using the control buttons for simple text copying ( control c to copy & control v to paste).
Obvious limitations so looked at the available apps. After a few trials found AnyCopy. This not only allowed me to store and retrieve lots of text, pics etc but amazingly has freed up the Samsung clipboard so that I now have all my old saves and the clipboard function is working fine. Haven't tried uninstalling the app in case it all goes haywire again.Hope this is useful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay