Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default gps slow to lock when using navigation

hey,

anyone else experiencing really slow locks for the gps when using navigation? it seems to lock on fine when just using google maps, but when i go to use the navigation feature, it takes forever. i will even turn on wifi, gps, and it takes at least 5 mins. i can see on the map it knows exactly where i am but i get a message on the bottom of the screen saying, 'searching for gps'. anyone know of how to fix this? do i have a problem with the hardware/gps on my phone?

thanks,

jae

Default Re: gps slow to lock when using navigation

Most of the time mine locks on instantly.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

yeah that's what i hear from most everyone, think i have dud!!!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

so does anyone have any advise on how to resolve this issue other then trying to get it exchanged?

Check out GPS Test Plus: on the Play Store - there's a free version that may help you out. If I remember correctly, there's also a way to delete the current almanac (database of GPS satellites) and refresh it which should also help.

The SGSIII should be better than most phones since it also uses the Russian GPS satellites.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Rev2010 likes this.

Take GSDer's advice, it downloads GPS Assistance data which supposedly speeds up the GPS lock time since it looks at additional satellites it normally isn't aware of, or so I've read. I mainly use it to calibrate the compass but it works very well and is free. GPS lock on works perfect for me, but I only use Google Maps and use it's own Navigation so everything has worked fine.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech

Default you gotta be on a govt watchlist with that kinda phone knowledge!!!lol

any chance you ca walk me through getting new data base on my note 2?

Default Re: you gotta be on a govt watchlist with that kinda phone knowledge!!!lol

If you're in a car, it will probably take longer to lock than if you're outdoors, because the metal roof blocks some of the signal from the satellites. But if it really locks faster, in the same location, on maps than in nav, open maps first, then once it locks in switch to nav.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

jenbot2009,
    Once you install the app that I listed above (or the free version of the same app), start the app, access the Settings, thengps slow to lock when using navigation-uploadfromtaptalk1367216039899.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by: