Old iPhone owner switched over to the "Dark Side"... LOL

Chops2

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello all. I'm new here to the forums as well as being new to the whole Android scene. So far, I'm liking it!

For the past 6 months or so, I have been having a couple of small hardware issues with my iPhone 4 (started out years ago with an iPhone 3). For one, the home button didn't want to work every time, having to press it several times in order for it to do anything. The second issue is that for whatever reason, the charging cable goes into the phone at a little bit of an angle, which in turn causes the cable to just fall out at times and not charge the phone all the way. No bent pins, no broken parts, no debris, no idea. :confused:

Anyway, I decided to start looking at the new iPhone 5 to upgrade to. That idea was shot down pretty quick when I found out the display wasn't much bigger than the old iPhone's, not to mention there were no real major updates to the entire design. Basically, it's still a normal, outdated iPhone, late to the party, just now barely matching what's already been out from other companies and OS's for the past 6 months to a year. On top of that, just yesterday I learned that there will be no iPhone 5's available in my area until around Oct 28th due to all the back orders.

So for the past 5 days or so, I began researching the Android platform and seeing what was available, which phones were the latest and greatest, and ultimately, which one to go with. Of course, I quickly realized that the two big hitters were the Galaxy S3 and HTC One X. Reading many reviews online and watching quite a few video reviews, everything seemed to be leaning towards the S3. You can imagine which one I settled on. Haha :p

Yesterday morning, my girlfriend and I decided to go up to the local AT&T store here in St Pete to look at some phones for me. She is quite happy with her iPhone 4 and had no plans of changing phones anytime soon. While we were there, one of the two guys working there (very nice, friendly dudes too) offered us a really great deal if she were to switch over to an S3 as well, eating the activation fees and giving us nearly 50% off on a couple of Otter Box cases, the Defender for her and the Commuter for me. On top of that, after looking at the red and blue S3's that they had in stock, and the white demo unit they had on display, we decided on white. Since they didn't have any white ones in stock, the one guy took off to Clearwater to pick a couple up for us while we stayed there at the store and got everything else taken care of. They even tweaked our old, original "unlimited" accounts to save a little more money every month. The entire process only took a little over an hour and a half, and we were home before noon.

Ever since we got home, I have been looking at ways of tweaking the S3 for top performance and battery life, nearly all of which I have found right here on these forums. So far, so good. My girlfriend has been doing a little bit on her's too, but more of just playing around on it more than anything at the moment. She's very tech-savvy, so she'll be right there tweaking her S3 as well soon enough.

With mine, I have already gone through the Device Manager and have stopped a bunch of apps that I won't use, tweaked various settings all over the place, installed SwiftKey 3, Go SMS Pro, as well as not only Juice Defender, but also Easy Battery Saver. I have both of these apps running simultaneously and they seem to be working good together. I'm sure there's plenty more I can do to get this phone working to peak performance while still saving battery juice throughout the day.

One thing I'm not too thrilled about with the S3 is the camera performance, which was one of the major deciding factors of getting this phone. All the reviews said how great it was and that it was even better than the iPhone 4S, which has a much better camera in it than my older iPhone 4. Well I can tell you, the S3's 8mp camera doesn't even come close to the image quality and sharpness of the iPhone's 5mp camera. I have taken some pictures with the iPhone 4 over the years that put my Olympus DSLR and my brother's Pentax DSLR to shame. Exposure, sharpness, color are all excellent, not to mention that the Pro HDR app on the iPhone works much better than it does on the S3.

Granted, the S3 has a massive amount of setting options for the camera compared to the iPhone's, but the image quality just isn't there. I'm quite disappointed in the S3's camera performance and it's nearly a deal breaker. Unless there's some way of getting the S3's camera to match and/or exceed the iPhone 4, I'm going to be very upset with this phone. I've loved the iPhone's camera so much that I haven't hardly touched my DSLR for the past 2 years. Please help, if there is any!

Below are a few examples of the iPhone and S3. You be the judge...

iPhone - exhibits very accurate color - ISO 80, 1/500sec @ f/2.8, 3.85mm focal length
p1143359740-4.jpg

S3 - Rather blue and somewhat noisy - ISO 80, 1/300sec @ f/2.6, 3.7mm focal length
p1143359908-4.jpg

iPhone - Pro HDR - ISO 100, 1/6000sec @ f/2.8 - I bumped up saturation a bit, but extremely extremely sharp
p1143359820-4.jpg

S3 - Horrible HDR results, flat, blue hue, lacks contrast, gritty and grainy as all get-out
p1143379892-4.jpg

One more from the iPhone - No tweaking, just straight camera shot
p1143359838-4.jpg

One more from the S3 - No tweaking, just straight from camera shot
p1143390018-4.jpg

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Not going to read this post because honestly, it's just way too long. However, people make switching mobile phones out to be more than it should be. I wonder if on Nike/shoe forums, you see posts that read "switched to the dark side, I'm now wearing Adidas, or Reebok.". It just seems silly, own what you like, and what makes you happy. Spend more time enjoying life, and less time worry about the petty stuff.

Chops2

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Wow, two absolutely useless posts. Thanks. If you're too lazy to take 3 minutes to read a post, then you shouldn't be posting anything yourself.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think judging a phone just on it's camera doesn't do it justice. You got yourself a phone that is leaps and bounds better than the 4S in every way and even the 5 in most ways. The camera is still good by phone camera standards so maybe you should just dust off the DSLR. :D

Chops2

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
That's beside the point. Again, supposed comparison tests say the S3 camera is better than the 4S or 5, but that's obviously not true when the 4 is better than the S3. And to some, the camera in the phone is a lot more important because it's a lot more convenient than toting a big DSLR everywhere you go.

I think it's ridicules to show attitude towards someone who values a camera in a phone. It's no different that dealing with any other feature on the phone. No different at all. So hate to say it, but this forum is putting a bad taste in my mouth with my very first post. What a shame.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for everyone, but don't worry, not all of us here on AC are mean. (I'm not, at least. :)) We welcome you to the land of Android with open arms. :D

It's nice seeing testimonies on how former iPhone users feel with their brand spanking new Android devices. I can agree with you on the camera, my S3 took poopy pics compared to my mom's 4S. They also weren't as sharp, so to say. Anyway, congratulations on your S3 purchase! Great phone, I can almost guarantee you'll never look back at iPhone.

Sent from my HTC One X

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
That's beside the point. Again, supposed comparison tests say the S3 camera is better than the 4S or 5, but that's obviously not true when the 4 is better than the S3. And to some, the camera in the phone is a lot more important because it's a lot more convenient than toting a big DSLR everywhere you go.

I think it's ridicules to show attitude towards someone who values a camera in a phone. It's no different that dealing with any other feature on the phone. No different at all. So hate to say it, but this forum is putting a bad taste in my mouth with my very first post. What a shame.

Please go buy an iPhone and quit you may think its better but comparing my skyrocket to my wife's 4s my camera wins 100% so my guess your doing it wrong or your wanting to see the iPhone be better so its in your head

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
This isn't much help, but I'm not a photographer so I guess I don't know what I'm looking for...they all look good for me. Of course, the only one I really notice an issue with is the first set, but its the only one that's of the same scene, but even then it's different angles so the lighting would be different. We're they taken back to back or on separate days?

I know...I'm not any help other than I know the cameras are supposed to be comparable at the least. Might be worth playing with settings a bit more since they aren't the same camera and might require a few tweaks.

And please ignore those other guys. Not everyone here is a jerk, but there's a few who act like that every time anyone dares to question the S3.

Also, your cat has freaky eyes!

Somewhere I had a thread bookmarked with S3 camera tips. I'll see if I can find it.
Edit: here it is: http://thegalaxys3gallery.blogspot.com/2012/06/guide-samsung-galaxy-s3-camera-usage.html

Last edited:

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to AC, bud. Don't let the bad taste stay for too long. I too experienced some folks that weren't very nice. I was a iPhone 4 user and BB abuser, never thought about Android until ICS. Now I'm hooked, an its Android til the world blows!Lol....

But anyway, Im not too much of a photog or what ever, but maybe their can be an app on Google Play that'll help you take better pics like the iPhone? Or is it straight hardware that stands in the way?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow, two absolutely useless posts. Thanks. If you're too lazy to take 3 minutes to read a post, then you shouldn't be posting anything yourself.

My comment was in reference to ur camera shots and I just said that Apple has a good camera

What more do you want?

LOL

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Chops2

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for everyone, but don't worry, not all of us here on AC are mean. (I'm not, at least. :)) We welcome you to the land of Android with open arms. :D

It's nice seeing testimonies on how former iPhone users feel with their brand spanking new Android devices. I can agree with you on the camera, my S3 took poopy pics compared to my mom's 4S. They also weren't as sharp, so to say. Anyway, congratulations on your S3 purchase! Great phone, I can almost guarantee you'll never look back at iPhone.

Sent from my HTC One X

Thank you, and I appreciate that. I'm not talking bad about the S3 at all. So far, I love the thing. The only complaint I have is the camera performance. Maybe there will be some kind of firmware upgrade that might clean things up a bit with it over time.

Please go buy an iPhone and quit you may think its better but comparing my skyrocket to my wife's 4s my camera wins 100% so my guess your doing it wrong or your wanting to see the iPhone be better so its in your head

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I'm doing it wrong and it's in my head? Not hardly as I've been doing photography for well over 15 years, not to mention the proof is in my first post, not my head...

This isn't much help, but I'm not a photographer so I guess I don't know what I'm looking for...they all look good for me. Of course, the only one I really notice an issue with is the first set, but its the only one that's of the same scene, but even then it's different angles so the lighting would be different. We're they taken back to back or on separate days?

I know...I'm not any help other than I know the cameras are supposed to be comparable at the least. Might be worth playing with settings a bit more since they aren't the same camera and might require a few tweaks.

And please ignore those other guys. Not everyone here is a jerk, but there's a few who act like that every time anyone dares to question the S3.

Also, your cat has freaky eyes!

Somewhere I had a thread bookmarked with S3 camera tips. I'll see if I can find it.
Edit: here it is: The Galaxy S3 Gallery: [Guide] Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Usage Guide, Part 1: Hardware and Feature

Thanks as well for being civil. The first two pics were in fact taken on different days, but the conditions were the same, full sunlight, no shade or overcast. Obviously, the white balance algorithm is shifted to the cool side of things on the S3 whereas the 4 is pretty much spot on.

Also, thanks for the link. I'll go check it out shortly! ;)

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol. Thread is kind of long. Didn't feel like reading it either but based on your title, welcome to android. :p

Also your pictures are nice.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
This is what I'm getting. I am not liking the battery life of my brand new S3.... Ugh. Is my battery defective? This doesn't make sense. Juice defender pro installed. Brightness at 25 percent. Gps off. Help. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360033176490.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360033176490.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 43

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok first off, do not install any battery saving app or task killers. Like seriously, they don't do anything. Some task managers (not killers) will indirectly help out your battery, like those that automatically switch off unused radio services (WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC etc).

Second, I'll be completely honest with you, the S3's camera isn't a match for the iphone 5. I personally have no experience with the 4 or 4s, but my partner has the iphone 5 and it has a better camera. Not by much, but definitely noticeably better. Compared to the S3 camera, the iphone 5's camera produces much less noisy pictures especially indoors and low light photos. Outdoors it's almost neck to neck especially in full daylight, indoors you will see noticeable noise with the S3. Turning on flash indoors will counter the noise but it the noise-reduction post-processing is apparent it almost looks unnatural, but again if sharpness is what you're after it will suffice.

Needless to say, if you're after camera perfection, the S3 is not the phone for you. This phone excels is so many ways but it has it's shortcomings (like every other phone out there) and the camera is one of them. I can elaborate and go on about how the on-going list of superlatives of this phone far outweighs its minor shortcomings with the camera (because honestly, it's still a very good camera for a smartphone) but at the end of the day if your MAIN priority is a smartphone that can function as a legitimate standalone point and shoot camera, your best choice is either the Lumia 920 or the iphone 5, with the former literally blowing everything else out of the water in terms of photographic capability.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
For the camera the S3 has better front then my iphone4s. I havent done side by side test yet (i want the S3 maybe in 2 weeks!)

Have you tried closing all backgound apps? Or weather, news feed, app syncing could be taking the life away and it depends on how hard your using the phone what is the batt usage away form home the same amount or diff. (See ex below)

Ok i have a iphone i am just saying my batt is 93% (healthy) with browsing around on the forms using 4g at 4 bars, music half way brightness half. Long story short i started at 80% and dropped down to 20% 4hrs later maybe had a youtube video in there also. (At my dorm). At the shop i am off network constant 3 bars and have about 1-3 bars of att net work and at a 8-5 day there no charge i get about 40% left no usage

8hrs isnt that bad

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This is what I'm getting. I am not liking the battery life of my brand new S3.... Ugh. Is my battery defective? This doesn't make sense. Juice defender pro installed. Brightness at 25 percent. Gps off. Help. Lol

You posted this image in another thread, and said you hadn't been doing much with your phone. If the screen is using nearly half the battery, that simply isn't true: you've had the screen on a lot. Brand new phone? You're probably playing with it and using it a lot more than you did your old one. First thing, though, is to get more detail on the battery. On the screen above, tap on the graph at the top, which will show you more details about screen on time, radio usage, etc. Then post that image here, or better in the battery thread, and we'll see what we see.

To the OP, regarding the camera, look into the various settings. There's a lot you can configure on this camera that might address many of your concerns.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
You posted this image in another thread, and said you hadn't been doing much with your phone. If the screen is using nearly half the battery, that simply isn't true: you've had the screen on a lot. Brand new phone? You're probably playing with it and using it a lot more than you did your old one. First thing, though, is to get more detail on the battery. On the screen above, tap on the graph at the top, which will show you more details about screen on time, radio usage, etc. Then post that image here, or better in the battery thread, and we'll see what we see.

To the OP, regarding the camera, look into the various settings. There's a lot you can configure on this camera that might address many of your concerns.

I also posted my corresponding screenshot after his. 40% battery usage for screen is below average honestly, during heavy usage on full brightness you will see it use 70% and over for total battery usage. Even at full brightness and 40% usage my battery lasts almost 4 times as long as what his screenshot shows (as shown on this attached image). Something is definitely up with his battery and it's not from "playing with a brand new phone too much". Sorry, not trying to contradict you, just that he has some legitimate cause for concern that's all.

59196d1360038598-just-got-samsung-galaxy-s3-uploadfromtaptalk1360038596112.jpg

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Although this is way after the OP asked this question up top *smile*, I did a lot of research before getting the S3 over the iPhone 5. Most of the phone camera reviews that I saw that compared the iPhone camera to the Galaxy S3 camera (and others) said that the iPhone camera was better, at best they were "tied". One even showed the same scene taken with both iPhone and S3 cameras, and it was clear to me that the iPhone camera had better results. However, I also thought that the S3 camera was good enough. So I went into making this choice expecting the S3 camera not to be as good as my iPhone camera was, which made it unnecessary to do the comparisons and feel like I'd missed the boat on which phone I'd gotten. I really like the S3 for a lot of reasons, and am happy with it. Yes, one big reason is "same old iPhone". When I look at the iPhone 5, it seems like the android phones have passed up the iPhone for the features that count for me.

Those that are expecting the S3 to be better than other current phones on every feature are going to be disappointed. Looking at the big picture, though, I think that the S3 has more to offer as a package for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC