google play movies

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

My girlfriend just rented a movie from the play store using her Galaxy S III. When we then tried to play the movie we got the message "Playback is not supported on this device". Is that normal? We can watch the movie on the computer but it is pretty disappointing / abnormal not being able to play it on the phone - in particular given that the purchase was made from the phone.

Has this happened to anyone? Is this an issue with the play movies app?

Thanks for the help

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
"To watch from your computer, simply go to play.google.com/movies and press the Play button below your desired video. You can stream from any computer with Adobe Flash Player 10.1+ and an Internet connection of at least 1 Mbps."

It should play on your device though. Can you request a refund from the item menu?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is the phone rooted by any chance? Google Play Store will let you rent content on a rooted phone, but once you try to play it, it'll detect the rooted device and prevent it from playing (due to DRM).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
The phone is not rooted, it's the standard international galaxy s3 bought sim free on amazon. To play on the phone it shouldn't require flash should it?

---------- Post Merged at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Is it possible to play something rented from the play store with a different video player?
You can also try downloading a different video player like mx player.

---------- Post Merged at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:57 AM ----------

No, we started watching the movie on the computer.

Can you request a refund from the item menu?

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Try downloading it and see if it gives you the option. I have two players and anytime I launch a video it ask witch player to use.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I started the download and after that for some reason we were able to play the movie on the phone. Weird..

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
off topic but ive never rented a movie from google.
how are the prices compared to other providers?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Just was curious to try it out and a bunch of movies are on rental for 99p. Overall nothing very particular to say besides that my computer was overheating because of being online, which usually doesn't happen when i watched a movie that is on my computer. Also a bit disappointed by the lack of subtitles options. Those are in every dvd or can easily be found online for divx.

ps: first time renting a movie online, so can't really compare with anything else..

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
right. thanks man.
and how does the "renting" work? is there a time limit or can you only watch once?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
After renting you have 30 days to start the movie. Once you start the movie I think you have 48 hours to watch it, but I don't know if those terms varies by movie.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like google play video is a very competitive offer. If you rent two movies per month then you are better off subscribing to netflix..

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah im gona start my netflix free trial tonight if i cant sleep. do you have to give credit/debit card details to start the trial?
and how does it detect if youre trying to get another free month.... is there a possible hack to keep gettin free months? ;)

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
If I remember correctly when I wanted to start my free trial they asked for my card details, specifying that they would only charge me from the following month. That's were I stopped ;-)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
If I remember correctly when I wanted to start my free trial they asked for my card details, specifying that they would only charge me from the following month. That's were I stopped ;-)

right thanks mate. thats an instant NO from me too then lol. theres always a catch eh ;)

fakecharles

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Rooted Toro, AOKP 4 (and every other ROM based on AOKP) - I purchased TV show, said I couldn't download (Couldn't fetch license (error 0)). Works fine on Eclipse.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca