wifi hotspot app not working after s3 update

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried using my "paid for" svtp hotspot app today and after updating the phone last week this was my first time. Well it tried to start the hotspot and then shut it down. ATT must have done something in the latest update to cause this. Anyway I guess I will not be able to use this until a root comes out for the s3 which at that time I will not a paid for app in the first place. Anybody got any thoughts or ideas?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thats a shame man. would have been your carrier :(

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded a free app called FoxFi and it is doing great. Wouldn't work for me the first time a few ago hence buying one. Now I hope the developer will answer my email and see what can be done if anything

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
so does foxfi prevent your carrier from knowing that youre tethering?
even without root?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi works great with the S3. (He says as he types on his Nexus 7, tethered using Foxfi and the S3...)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
When my phone got updated I thought Rogers killed my wifi hotspot abilities too... but that's not the case. Basically what happened is they added an option to have you specify which devices can access your wifi hotspot... or to let any devices try to join it (you still need a password). If you select "let all devices join"... then you should be able to use your phone as a wifi hotspot again. I just figured this out this afternoon and I'm able to connect my tablet to my phone using wifi again.

BUT something else I found out while I didn't realize I could still use wifi hotspot is... you can also use bluetooth to tether... and bluetooth tethering uses way less power.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
so does foxfi prevent your carrier from knowing that youre tethering?
even without root?

As far as I know it does. Anyway its working thats all I know.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Lmao, thanks sprint uploadfromtaptalk1349136849336.jpg

Guess I would need root right?

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know it does. Anyway its working thats all I know.

lol well its hard for me to be sure, my (UK) carrier gives unlimited data but if they detect tethering, they throttle data speeds permenantly (like chop them in half lol) so im wary of taking the risk :confused:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Lmao, thanks sprint View attachment 39319

Guess I would need root right?

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

oh yeah i heard one of the US carriers had blocked it mate :(
p.s, why u still usin the visible blue bar? ive got it invisible at bottom centre of screen and set really thin so its pretty hard to touch it by mistake :)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
oh yeah i heard one of the US carriers had blocked it mate :(
p.s, why u still usin the visible blue bar? ive got it invisible at bottom centre of screen and set really thin so its pretty hard to touch it by mistake :)

That's another brightness app, I got tired of dropping down my notification bar to change brightness on the fly

Only issue is it makes the q and 1 buttons unnessarily hard to press lol

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Guys did you miss my post above??? You don't need to download apps to get wifi hotspot.

were talkin about apps that fool the carriers that dont allow tethering though bro :)
p.s, i think BT tether is far slower than wifi or usb tether

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
But what I'm saying is you may not need to fool the Carriers... there's just a setting that you need to change on the phone.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
That's another brightness app, I got tired of dropping down my notification bar to change brightness on the fly

Only issue is it makes the q and 1 buttons unnessarily hard to press lol

cant you adjust the thickness of the touch area to make it really thin like you can on dock4droid so that you have to touch right at edge of screen mate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs