Low volume on turn by turn navigation

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have tried both Google's TbT as well as Navigon and over both BT and wired connection the audio for the voice navigation is very very quiet. In all cases I'm also playing music and I know the voice directions are working as the music volume is lowered but the voice commands are so soft all I hear is nothing. I have the volumes all up and it makes no difference. The Navigon app on my iPhone 4 has volume option to control the app volume which is great as it solves this problem but on the Android version there is no app specific volume that I can find. I do find it interesting that Google Navigation suffers the same issue.

So is it just me? Is it the SGS3? My car stereo? The BT stack in my car stereo? TouchWiz? Android? I'm at a total loss but I'm not going to pay money for the program on Android if it doesn't work at least as well as the similar iPhone version which sucks because I really want to dump my iPhone.

Suggestions?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
try pressing the volume button, hitting the lil "cog" icon that appears next to the volume level indicator and make sure the middle level is set to full

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
So I called Navigon/Garmin. They told me that it's an Android OS issue and there is nothing they can do on their end to increase the volume. It's on a device by device basis as well, some phones will be louder than others. Awesome, well if you were considering buying Navigon for your S3, don't it won't work properly. I do wonder if it will be better on CM10... Solution below.

Last edited:

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
What kind of dock are you using? Some docks block the speaker on the phone. I have no trouble hearing the directions from my S3 using the iBold dock and I have some hearing loss. In fact, at times I've had to lower the volume.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What kind of dock are you using? Some docks block the speaker on the phone. I have no trouble hearing the directions from my S3 using the iBold dock and I have some hearing loss. In fact, at times I've had to lower the volume.

Not using a dock, either connected via BT or using the Aux (headphone) output.

---------- Post Merged at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Figured it out, it's not obvious at all either. I can only confirm this works with Navigon, not sure yet about Google Nav but I'm guessing it may be the same solution.

So I have volumes maxed, still low voice directions. I opened Navigon and had it simulate going home and started messing with volume. Turns out that when the app is providing directions, as in when the lady is speaking to you, and you adjust the volume at that moment you get a different volume adjustment! Further unlike when adjusting the system volume and you get the 'gear' icon next to the volume your adjusting this is a totally different graphic, no gear. So when she (the app) is speaking you can hit the volume rocker and adjust the app specific volume output just like on the iPhone, if she isn't speaking it only adjusts the system volume. I got lucky in that I pressed the volume when she was speaking and saw the other graphic but then I couldn't replicate the same action until I put 2+2 together and tried again while she was speaking then it came up again.

It's not documented anywhere I could find and navigon/garmin support had no idea at all it was there because I called back and asked specifically if they knew about it, they didn't. I'm shocked that this isn't documented as this is not an unasked question, there were 2.5M hits from a google search so I know I'm not alone in wanting to know how to fix this issue.

I haven't been able to try the same on Google Nav as it won't do a simulation that I can find so I'll have to wait until I'm in the car and try.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
well discovered mate.
hope more people with the problem read this.

i opened the thread to suggest an audio booster app lol :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn