Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3: Photos are always being rotated! Why!

Is this just me?
    Every time I take a pic from my phone, it takes it correctly with the photo not rotated and even when I look in the gallery it isn't rotated, but when I load the photos on my computer or I try and upload them somewhere on my phone (ex Instagram, Facebook, Profile image for Android forums app) then it always ends up rotated and it's so annoying! It's not rotated in my gallery but it's rotated everywhere else and some apps won't let me rotate it to normal .... Anyone notice this? How do I fix!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-21-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
    RayMabry likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Photos are always being rotated! Why!

i really dont wana patronise you mate but please tell me youre holdin the phone in landscape mode when takin pics (home **** on at right hand side) and not in portrait mode like on blackberrys etc.....

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Wait so is that why????? I usually take pics in portrait mode

So when you hold the phone in portrait mode it will turn it??

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

yeah lol think of the shape of an oldschool photograph, its same dimentions as the phone screen on its side... lol

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Whaaaat Theee FFFFF *mindblown*

Thanks!!

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Whaaaat Theee FFFFF *mindblown*

Thanks!!
    lol NP brer

GT-I9300, UK
    Skum Skumbanan likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

ps u can use Little Photo app or something similar to rotate your existing pics.. actualy i think QuickPic gallery does it...

GT-I9300, UK
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yeah I know I use QuickPik, but it shows up as the normal way in Quickpik, but shows as rotated everywhere else I try and upload

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Yeah I know I use QuickPik, but it shows up as the normal way in Quickpik, but shows as rotated everywhere else I try and upload
    yeah i duno why that happens man???
    have u tried takin a pic the proper way yet brer and seeing if it uploads at the right rotation?

GT-I9300, UK

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

Might be dumb for asking, but is your auto rotate screen not checked in settings. This happened to me as well when viewing photos, it would never rotate. Must have accidentally unchecked auto rotate screen in display settings. Works like a charm now.
    MZX

I have the same issue:
    pictures show up well in gallery, but once uploaded to PC / shared on email they are in wrong position!

I cannot believe noone noticed, but everyone talks about auto-rotation sensor being uncalibrated, which is just for idiots not knowing that.

THIS IS AN ANNOYING BUG
    Pictures have correct EXIF information, but it would be much more helpful, if you could choose in Camera Settings to store the pictures in correct way immediately.

See here:

Solution??
    I tryed QuickPic gallery, but when I sent an email, it was in wrong rotation again.
    Tryed ProCapture camera - same thing...

When uploading to PC, there are applications like "JPEG-EXIF autorotate", or possibly the Samsung synchronizing tool.

IrfanView shows pictures automatically rotated (if set in settings), but this problem also occurs with videos!

So, the only solution is to hold the camera in 0 degree exif orientation, which for Samsung S3 is landscape position and button on the right.
    Last edited by MZX; 12-05-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Precisely.
    Think of the shape of any camera!

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK

What happens if you take a panoramic photo with the phone in landscape, then look at them on the computer?
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I have been struggling with this as well. I even went so far as to ensure screen rotation is enabled by setting up Tasker to turn it on when opening any camera app. However, I don't think that is the solution.

After seeing this thread, I thought I would take another look. I have noticed something interesting. When opening the S3's default camera app, it seems to assume that you will be in shooting in landscape (specifically with the home button to the right). If you take a picture straight away in portrait, the photo will be saved with the orientation set to landscape. What's confusing is the camera's icons are rotated correctly indicating portrait orientation.

Now instead, open the camera app in portrait. Then rotate the phone to landscape and then switch back to portrait and take a picture. I think it then registers the correct orientation to the picture file. Weird. Need to test a bit more to confirm this.

I noticed this as well...

Once I went back and verified what you said, lol....

I looked around before asking, but this is the first time I've seen this mobile type site, and im disoriented a bit, lol.

I've searched, and this thread seemed the most helpful...

What app might fix videos I have on my memory card?

I want to orientate it the right way, with out turning off my auto rotate...

Any help ya think?

(GalaxyS3, unrooted, at the moment..)

Thanks all in advance...

Sooo...

No advice?

Ok, maybe I need to ask elsewhere, or you all consider me dense, cause the answer lies within a thread?

Lol, ok, either way, I'll just keep looking...

HitchHiker's Guide in my GalaxyS3

I don't know. I just opened my camera app, took a picture in portrait mode, and emailed it to myself. It shows correctly in the email, and in 4 of the 5 apps I opened it in on my PC. The only app that didn't display it correctly is MS Paint, which really isn't a photo app, and probably ignores exif data.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:

Lightbulb Re: Photos are always being rotated! Why!

you have downloaded an application with bugs.. try deleting your latest applications cause maybe you have downloaded a not secured app,try deleting it.. then restart your device,,

The fact the GS3 messes this up is an inexcusable shortcoming.

Stupidest thing I have ever heard. Your not wrong, though it is bs. Not sure why this is so funny.... I'm having this same problem but only with linked in. it does say rotated 270 on the photo that I took with my FRONT facong camera. Google needs to fix this in the OS; very annoying. Especially since the picture is taken perfectly square. No difference in orientation and taking a front face picture is clearly designed baded on the shape of the camera, distance and position of the camera on the phone to be taken upright.

Don't know what Google can do as my S3 and the majority of others does Portrait and Landscape the way it is suppose to. Have no problem here. Have you tried calibrating the Gyroscope. Settings>Motion>Sensitivity Settings>Gyroscope calibration.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button

Unused Ram is Wasted Ram

Angry Re: Photos are always being rotated! Why!

I just switched over from the iphone to the S4 and am having this same issue. It's insanely infuriating - i can't upload a picture to twitter, instagarm, ANYWHERE without it showing up sideways - and even if i go into the photo and rotate it sideways to then upload it, STILL THE SAME ISSUE.

Did you figure out a way to solve it?

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    Precisely.
    Think of the shape of any camera!
    Sorry, but real cameras can be turned to take portrait format pictures. In case you haven't noticed, many things in the world are vertically oriented, like people, office buildings, trees, etc. Not all pictures should be in landscape format.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Just crop the picture, without actually cropping any of it and it will straighten up.
    theblowersdaughter.com

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Sorry, but real cameras can be turned to take portrait format pictures.
    Ok, pet peve. Soapbox mode on :-)

Turn a film camera to portrait, snap the photo, then look at the print. It WILL be sideways with the top of the portrait to the left or right depending on how you turned the camera. When I used to load a slide tray I couldn't just drop the slides in--you had to look at each one and manually rotate the ones shot in portrait. How else could it work--the lens and film are in fixed relationship designed to fill the frame. Digital cameras are the same. My $2k Nikon still has a fixed relationship between the lens and the CCD designed to fill the frame. Nothing physically rotates inside the camera if I rotate the entire camera to take a portrait shot. The left side of the viewfinder, whether optical or LCD, when viewed in normal landscape mode ALWAYS corresponds to the PHYSICAL left side of the CCD. The earlier digital cameras didn't even have an auto-rotate playback function. Until the orientation field was added to the exif data there was no way for the playback function to even know how the picture was taken--a portrait photo was displayed like it was physically taken--sideways. Only when the exif standard changed to record orientation info did cameras start offering an auto-rotate function to display "portrait" shots vertically with the camera held horizontally. And it is a DISPLAY option for playback--look in your user manual if you don't believe me. If it's used as specified it should have no affect AT ALL on how the picture is stored other than the exif field--it doesn't cause the CCD to physically rotate nor does it rotate the image before storing it. Lossless rotation is a time and CPU intensive operation even on a PC--there is no way a camera or phone has time to do that before storing the file. People ***** enough about not taking shots fast enough now without more pre-processing going on. If 3rd party applications, whether on the phone, online or on a PC, don't process the exif data correctly to rotate the photo when THEY display it that IS NOT the phones fault. It is NOT a bug unless the camera app is not storing the exif orientation code correctly. And that isn't the case on the S3 and S4 because many if not most apps are rotating the photos correctly when displayed.
    GSDer likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast