*Urgent* Help! Messages App won't work!

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I picked up an S3 today after upgrading from my BlackBerry. I love it so far. However I recently used easyphonesync to restore my blackberry's text messages on to my S3. After a while all the messages were synced, however now there are so many the messages app only opens after a reboot. It freezes and crashes constantly and I can no longer use it. I can get inside the app to delete threads but only one at a time. It seems the big 'problem threads' (the most messages) won't delete. How can I fix this?

Thank-you in advance.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If you picked it up today, you may just want to factory wipe.

Another thought would be to go into the phone after mounting to a pc and see if you can find where they all are stored and delete them that way. That's how I delete pictures. Much faster.

Sorry can't be more helpful

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I would prefer not to do a factory wipe if possible. I would like keep certain threads that have important messages. I've been able to delete most of the big threads except one which refuses to delete. I thought about using the computer method however I'm not sure where they are stored. Do you happen to know where? Thanks

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
go into settings, app manager, tap ALL at the top, find Messages app, clear data and cache.
think that should work but im not sure if thats where the txts are stored...

..id also like to know what folder sms are saved to..

ps.. i dont see how you can have too many txt messages on a 16gb phone with no partitions??
is this normal anyone??

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Last edited:

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Oh I wish I waited! I had just finished doing a hard reset when I saw this. Sigh :p

Thanks for the help anyways everyone. The hard reboot fixed it. Guess I'll just do without the bb messages.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
oh well mate. fresh start :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
aww lol. That sucks.

Any reason why you wanted to keep the messages? Just wondering. Work? Funny? Memories? Or are you just a hoarder? Lol :p

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah ive never been one for keepin txts, ma fiance keeps cute txts frm me but im not that sentimental lol i use birthday cards as roach :)

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Haha. Yeah. If I get a cute message I screen shot it, let it back up to drop box And delete it off my phone lol. I don't like keeping messages

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I would like keep certain threads that have important messages.
Just a suggestion... You might want to check the market for an SMS export/backup utility that lets you export your important messages to text files and keep those on your local computer or other backup media. Something like SMS to Text might be just what you need?

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Just a suggestion... You might want to check the market for an SMS export/backup utility that lets you export your important messages to text files and keep those on your local computer or other backup media. Something like SMS to Text might be just what you need?

Yes I use SMS Backup+. Works quite well!

Basically I keep certain threads for *ahem* memories... of um...certain people :-[ :p just to remind me of our past convos, lol.

Anyways, I'm loving the S3! Just curious though, when I use apps like Light Flow or Blink, the LED colours that aren't the standard RGB are distorted i.e. white has hints of green and orange is basically yellow. Is this a known issue? Does rooting fix this?

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh I wish I waited! I had just finished doing a hard reset when I saw this. Sigh :p

Thanks for the help anyways everyone. The hard reboot fixed it. Guess I'll just do without the bb messages.

Let em go! Anything you NEED to keep you can always email to yourself.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes I use SMS Backup+. Works quite well!

Basically I keep certain threads for *ahem* memories... of um...certain people :-[ :p just to remind me of our past convos, lol.

Anyways, I'm loving the S3! Just curious though, when I use apps like Light Flow or Blink, the LED colours that aren't the standard RGB are distorted i.e. white has hints of green and orange is basically yellow. Is this a known issue? Does rooting fix this?

from what im guessing.. the led is actualy 3 LEDs, red, green and blue. white=all the LED up full, black=zero light, yellow=green+blue or red (cant remember) so when you look closely at any colour made from mixed colours, you can see the indevidual LED that are turned on. only with red, green or blue will you see pure colour. thats a guess lol

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
from what im guessing.. the led is actualy 3 LEDs, red, green and blue. white=all the LED up full, black=zero light, yellow=green+blue or red (cant remember) so when you look closely at any colour made from mixed colours, you can see the indevidual LED that are turned on. only with red, green or blue will you see pure colour. thats a guess lol

I suppose so but I'm just worried that I may have a defective LED, because when I use LED Tester i select Orange and it gives a yellow-green colour which is the same as if I pick yellow. The colours look very distorted. Maybe it's a software issue.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I suppose so but I'm just worried that I may have a defective LED, because when I use LED Tester i select Orange and it gives a yellow-green colour which is the same as if I pick yellow. The colours look very distorted. Maybe it's a software issue.

maybe it is a fault mate.
i use Light Flow to change the colours and gold really looks kinda gold, orange looks orange etc...

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
maybe it is a fault mate.
i use Light Flow to change the colours and gold really looks kinda gold, orange looks orange etc...

It could be. I'll stop into a Telus branch this week and see.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

You're using a third party / independently developed modification utility. I'd guess it's a software issue and not your device.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Mags Adepetun

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi I dont know if anyone can help with this but I seem to have "deleted" the messaging *(as in text message) function from my phone. I can still see the icon but when I try to open "Messaging" to send a message, I get the following message on screen ..."Unfortnuately Messaging has stopped" I also know none of my messages are coming to my phone. When I go into Application Manager, it is not listed in the "running" screen but is on the "All" screen. I really dont want to do a Factory Reset on it as Im concerned I will lose all my numbers off the phone. Any ideas please?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
1. If you haven't already, reboot, and see if that fixes it.
2. If not, go to Settings / Application manager. Scroll right to the All tab, then scroll down until you see Messaging. Tap on that, scroll down and clear cache. Scroll back up and force stop the app if you can. Reboot.
3. If that doesn't fix it, do step 2 again but this time clear data, force stop, and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad