Playing song from sd card

johnlennon78

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys. My wife just got the S3 galaxy. I have been looking around on how to play songs from the sd card without success. All the songs are classified in folders. I can acces the folders, see all the songs. I choose one song it plays but it does not play the next song from the same folder. I do not wish to create a playlist since I have over 1000 songs in the sd card. Can anyone help me or is there a software that you can point me to?? Thanks!!

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Just put all your music files in 1 file named music. If its the stock music player it should locate it,if its another music player you should be able to choose the files manually.

Sent from my S3:)

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I created a folder on my SD card called "Music" after mounting the card to the phone. Then I saved all my music files there; the default music player pick it up right way.

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys. My wife just got the S3 galaxy. I have been looking around on how to play songs from the sd card without success. All the songs are classified in folders. I can acces the folders, see all the songs. I choose one song it plays but it does not play the next song from the same folder. I do not wish to create a playlist since I have over 1000 songs in the sd card. Can anyone help me or is there a software that you can point me to?? Thanks!!
I was experiencing the same thing with the default player until I stumbled across this... (kind of a *doh* moment, since it was right in front of me all along -- I saw it but didn't really "see" it :p)... when you're in the view of, say, listing all songs in a folder or for a particular artist, up at the top there's a "Shuffle" link. Just tap that and it will shuffle all songs in that listing; continuous play til it reaches the last one.
Oh, and all my songs are on external SD, BTW.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i dont know about stock player but im guessing it has a setting for what locations you want it to find music in?
set it to use the file in Ext Sd Card where your music is saved (internal memory is called Sd Card, removable sd is called Ext Sd Card)
if that doesnt work, try saving all your music to a computer, put the sd in the s3 and hit settings, storage, format sd card n then copy the music back on to it

...actualy from re-reading your post, get the 14day trial version of PowerAmp music player, its very good if your music is arranged in folders, just do what i said above and tell it what folders to read from. it should play a whole folder of files and (if you want) move onto the next folder. excelent player and worth buying :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

johnlennon78

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys. I found one magic app that does exactly what iwas looking for!!!!!!! No need to create playlist from stock player and choosing file by file!! Thanks!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys. I found one magic app that does exactly what iwas looking for!!!!!!! No need to create playlist from stock player and choosing file by file!! Thanks!

which app??

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

ackozak

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an S3 with 16 gigs and an additional 16 gigs of storage on an SD Card.

There is definitely some odd issues with SD Cards. Mine was recognized by the Phone and all applications up until about a week ago. I was able to listen to music using Music Player and Music Hub with no issues what so ever. Also, exported playlists out of iTunes and into the Music Folder on the SD Card. Playlists played with no issues there, either.

Not sure what odd ball event occurred, but none of the Music Players see the SD Card except Sound Player. That is, I see the SD card from the phone (Settings -> Storage) and can view the contents (music files and movies) using "My Files". However, Music Player, Music Hub, and Google Music do not see any of the music in the /storage/extSdCard/Music directory.
I have tried reformatting the SD Card and re-transferring the music, but still those apps will not see the SD Card (again the OS and the "My Files" app do see it).

I gave up on those music applications after wasting many frustrating hours combing through posts like this.

My work around was as follows:
After the Music Players mentioned above are suddenly no longer able to see the music on the SD Card, I tried a few other Music Players.

The only one that seemed to work is ProAmp. It allows the user to select the location of the music files, which included the SD Card.

I put sub-directories under the "Music Folder" named after my playlists, and dropping music from each playlist into each folder. By the way, ProAmp will also easily allow you to create Playlists as well, but a directory based playlist structure seemed easier.

By the way, I transfer music like others have mentioned....
Attached the S3 to my Windows Desktop via USB. It was recognized immediately. I created a folder on the SD card called Music, then transferred a few hundred songs by selecting all songs in my favorite playlist in iTunes to a folder on my desktop, then transferring those folders/songs to the Music Folder on the SD Card.

ProAmp was $3.99.

Adriane Hawkins

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I could not find ProAmp, but I did find Power Amp. Awesome app! I have a Note 2 and was going out of mind trying to figure out how to play music straight from my sd card. It's not a free app, but i'll gladly pay for it. Lol!

temp311

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a samsung galaxy s2 mini and inserted an external 8Gb micro sdcard. The music player would only access the mp3 files stored in the default storage location on the internal sdcard. My own music files were located in a folder on the external sdcard, and initially were inaccessible from the music player. I got round the problem as follows>
1. Cut and paste the external music files to the location on the internal sdcard where the music player currently sees the files. In my case I did this via a windows PC with the phone connected to the PC, but its probably not necessary - could just use the 'move' and 'paste here' functionality within the My Files app.
2. Verify that the music player can see/play all the newly added files on the internal sdcard.
3. This is the important bit. Use the My Files app to 'move' and 'paste' all those files just added to the internal sdcard back to the external sdcard to a location of your choice, the folder name is irrelevant.
On opening the music player it should now see the files located both in the internal and external sdcard locations (at least this worked for me). I've processed all my music files in this way and my music player happily plays all my mp3 files which I exclusively keep on the external sdcard.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
There is a media index file the built in player uses that sometimes doesn't update automatically. There are several apps in Play Store that force an update. "Rescan SD Card" worked for me until I switched to a player that doesn?t need it.

bbrannon

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for "Rescan SD Card". This was driving me crazy and this is a 10 second fix. Works perfectly. Need to buy the donate version to pay the creator for such a clean simple solution.

frederson

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I had same problem. I downloaded tinyplayer, but it should work in many other players. The external memory card is possible to find. If you are in your sd card folder you have to move to parent folder (the basic folder in your phone), here choose mnt in mnt folder choose extSdCard... and here is your music.

jmt123

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I encountered exactly the same problem on my s3 mini. After a few hours of frustration I decided to just try and download another music player. Go the the app store and download "Rocket Player". It works perfectly, I had all my music back in less than 5 minutes. And, unlike the default music player, it has the option to rescan your device at any moment.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1