Change default music player?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This post http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x/99356-how-change-default-music-app.html is a good reference but I didn't see a similar way to do this for the S3 with ICS stock. Am I missing something thats right in front of me? I want to change the default music player to another player, and ideally have that show up in the Notification shade pulldown as the default player after inserting the headset jack. I checked around in settings and didn't see any obvious options.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Not an option. Those apps are not replaceable and built into Touchwiz (regardless of your launcher). You could disable the stock Music Player in your applications if you hate it that much, otherwise toss your favorite music app's widget on your homescreen and call it a day.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You CAN replace the music player by downloading one from the Google Play store and setting it as default

I use and recommend PowerAmp, which BLOWS AWAY the stock music player in terms of sound quality and more...I recommend paying for it but you can trial it
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...audioplayer&feature=nav_result&token=uSa2cZB4

You can make it the default player by going to Settings -> Application Manager, and clicking the app and click "Set Default"
or
You can get a default manager app which is easy to use, here is what i recommend
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Rvci5kZWZhdWx0YXBwbWFuYWdlciJd&token=YkwAr06r

As for all those apps in the notification bar, I don't think you can change those, but PowerAmp has its own notification system which works just as good

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
@ jaj6503. I was thinking along the same path as you for the homescreen :). I did add the replacement music player to my lockscreen and home screen. One interesting thing is the Disable option is greyed out and not selectable for the default Music Player. Do I need to be rooted to set a Disable option?

@ smooth4lyfe. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see an option for "Set Default" in the replacement music player I selected (Winamp). As with jaj6503's suggestion, do I need to be rooted to "Set Default"? I will check out the default app manager as I don't have one installed yet (did on my Droid2, but I'm moving a bit slowly on "reconstructing" my S3).

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
why do you need it to be "default" mate? just wondering

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
@ jaj6503. I was thinking along the same path as you for the homescreen :). I did add the replacement music player to my lockscreen and home screen. One interesting thing is the Disable option is greyed out and not selectable for the default Music Player. Do I need to be rooted to set a Disable option?

@ smooth4lyfe. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see an option for "Set Default" in the replacement music player I selected (Winamp). As with jaj6503's suggestion, do I need to be rooted to "Set Default"? I will check out the default app manager as I don't have one installed yet (did on my Droid2, but I'm moving a bit slowly on "reconstructing" my S3).

If you were rooted you could freeze it with Titanium Backup or BloatFreezee, but it shouldn't be intrusive unless you're opening MP3s through a file browser or something.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah and when you open a music file through file manager, it gives u the option to choose your own music player and check the lil box to make it default for that action.
duno what would happen if you try n open a movie frm file manager after that though

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you do not need to be rooted to set as default.
Download the default manager app and you can do it easily like that

As Funklogic said, a little box should pop up asking which player you want to use as default, just select whichever one you want

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
You CAN replace the music player by downloading one from the Google Play store and setting it as default

I use and recommend PowerAmp, which BLOWS AWAY the stock music player in terms of sound quality and more...I recommend paying for it but you can trial it
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...audioplayer&feature=nav_result&token=m6WDfJfK

You can make it the default player by going to Settings -> Application Manager, and clicking the app and click "Set Default"
or
You can get a default manager app which is easy to use, here is what i recommend
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Rvci5kZWZhdWx0YXBwbWFuYWdlciJd&token=Ew9DbxBq

As for all those apps in the notification bar, I don't think you can change those, but PowerAmp has its own notification system which works just as good

nice app man :)

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I think the answers for me are twofold. 1. Try a default app manager. 2. Don't worry about the default Music Player being shown among the applications available when the headset is inserted. If I set another music player as default, then this should resolve item 2.

The only reason I want to change the default Music Player is because it shows up in the Notifications pulldown, rather than the preferred music player. Overall this is a minor concern, and my attempt to save a few clicks each time I have to reinsert the headphone jack during the workday.

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I want to change the default player because I like using Google Play Music and every time I get in and out of my car and connect to Bluetooth, the Samsung player starts playing. Drives me nuts. I had a Galaxy Nexus prior and never had this issue. I store my entire library in the Google Play cloud and love it. But I have to hit stop every time on the Samsung player and then start Google play. Frustrating as I get in out of my car 6-8 times a day for work.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Theres an app that might help but havent tried it. Hold on.......
....."default app manager"
Let us know if that works plz bro... :beer:

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Theres an app that might help but havent tried it. Hold on.......
....."default app manager"

Thanks.....I had downloaded and set that up 1 hour before commenting on this thread and all I can say is when I click on an MP3 attached to an email (like a voicemail message), it still opens in the Samsung player, despite the Default App Manager set to Google Music Player. And if I go to a folder on my device with an MP3 in it, and click on the MP3 file it asks me which player I want to use amongst all the options (not using the default as it's set). So I'm still at a loss...

Anyone know if there's a way to tell the Samsung Music player NOT to start playing automatically when BT audio is connected? Similar to the earphone port settings?

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Further update, it's not super reliable but the Default App Manager is working most of the time. When I get in my car and BT connects, the Samsung Music player starts about 25% of the time, and the rest of the time Google Play Music starts (as I have it set). Strange. Still, when an MP3 is clicked on the device Samsung Music player starts automatically and never offers the Android Default player (which is a small pop-up player rather than the full screen Samsung player). :(

jakeinator21

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked under the settings for the Samsung music player to see if there is an option to disable auto play when connected to a headset? I had a problem with multiple music players that were set to play music when headset connected and both would startup when I connected, so I had to disable the one via its own app settings. At least that's what happened on my old phone. I don't know if that is the case here, as my s3 is rooted and removed the stock app (which is also a viable option for you if you aren't afraid of rooting).

jakeinator21

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I think the answers for me are twofold. 1. Try a default app manager. 2. Don't worry about the default Music Player being shown among the applications available when the headset is inserted. If I set another music player as default, then this should resolve item 2.

The only reason I want to change the default Music Player is because it shows up in the Notifications pulldown, rather than the preferred music player. Overall this is a minor concern, and my attempt to save a few clicks each time I have to reinsert the headphone jack during the workday.

If you are trying to save time and clicks, you can set your music player to automatically play when you plug headphones in. That's how mine is set up. I use poweramp, which is by far my favorite music player (it sounds amazing and is really great for customization), and I have it set to autoplay when I plug my headphones in. I disabled the stupid "Audio Applications" thing in the notification bar because it just got in the way of my other notifications. Poweramp's player controls show up in the notification bar when it is playing music, so if you need to plug headphones in but don't want music, you can pull your notification bar down and turn it off as it comes on. 99% of the time I'm playing music when I put headphones in, so this was the ideal solution for me.

jakeinator21

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
There are no settings inside the Samsung Music player to allow you to turn on or off it's automatic functions. It has very few custom options.

That's what I thought, but I couldn't remember. I'm not sure what else you could try then, without rooting.

Can you explain how to do this? I sure don't know how w/o a rooted system (which I'm not interested in doing).

If you go into your phone settings and select the application manager option, you can see all the apps installed on your phone, and from there you can force stop, uninstall, clear data, clear cache, or clear defaults for most apps. Unfortunately for system apps, you don't have the option to uninstall but for a few it does give you the option to "disable" in place of uninstall. Unfortunately I'm fairly certain the music player will not have that option, but you are welcome to check anyways. A while back on this same thread somebody said that their "disable" option was greyed out and not clickable. I am not running stock, so I can't see for myself, but I'm certain the music app can't be disabled, it's too integrated into the touchwiz system. Disable option is usually only available for things like ChatOn, or MediaHub, or other bloatware. I'd check anyways though just to be sure. Honestly, aside from what you have already done, there's really not much else you can do without root.

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Your memory serves you right - there is NO option to disable the Samsung Music player. Tried that before I ever posted on this board. Oh well...for the most part the Default App Manager program works 80-90% of the time so that's bearable.

If you go into your phone settings and select the application manager option, you can see all the apps installed on your phone, and from there you can force stop, uninstall, clear data, clear cache, or clear defaults for most apps. ... Honestly, aside from what you have already done, there's really not much else you can do without root.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173