Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Dog5000's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

    Default Change default music player?

    This post How to change the default music app is a good reference but I didn't see a similar way to do this for the S3 with ICS stock. Am I missing something thats right in front of me? I want to change the default music player to another player, and ideally have that show up in the Notification shade pulldown as the default player after inserting the headset jack. I checked around in settings and didn't see any obvious options.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Not an option. Those apps are not replaceable and built into Touchwiz (regardless of your launcher). You could disable the stock Music Player in your applications if you hate it that much, otherwise toss your favorite music app's widget on your homescreen and call it a day.

    Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    You CAN replace the music player by downloading one from the Google Play store and setting it as default

    I use and recommend PowerAmp, which BLOWS AWAY the stock music player in terms of sound quality and more...I recommend paying for it but you can trial it


    You can make it the default player by going to Settings -> Application Manager, and clicking the app and click "Set Default"
    or
    You can get a default manager app which is easy to use, here is what i recommend


    As for all those apps in the notification bar, I don't think you can change those, but PowerAmp has its own notification system which works just as good
    Thanked by 7:
    FxMagix likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Dog5000's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    @ jaj6503. I was thinking along the same path as you for the homescreen . I did add the replacement music player to my lockscreen and home screen. One interesting thing is the Disable option is greyed out and not selectable for the default Music Player. Do I need to be rooted to set a Disable option?

    @ smooth4lyfe. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see an option for "Set Default" in the replacement music player I selected (Winamp). As with jaj6503's suggestion, do I need to be rooted to "Set Default"? I will check out the default app manager as I don't have one installed yet (did on my Droid2, but I'm moving a bit slowly on "reconstructing" my S3).
  5. #5  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    why do you need it to be "default" mate? just wondering

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    @ jaj6503. I was thinking along the same path as you for the homescreen . I did add the replacement music player to my lockscreen and home screen. One interesting thing is the Disable option is greyed out and not selectable for the default Music Player. Do I need to be rooted to set a Disable option?

    @ smooth4lyfe. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see an option for "Set Default" in the replacement music player I selected (Winamp). As with jaj6503's suggestion, do I need to be rooted to "Set Default"? I will check out the default app manager as I don't have one installed yet (did on my Droid2, but I'm moving a bit slowly on "reconstructing" my S3).
    If you were rooted you could freeze it with Titanium Backup or BloatFreezee, but it shouldn't be intrusive unless you're opening MP3s through a file browser or something.

    Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
  7. #7  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    yeah and when you open a music file through file manager, it gives u the option to choose your own music player and check the lil box to make it default for that action.
    duno what would happen if you try n open a movie frm file manager after that though

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Yeah you do not need to be rooted to set as default.
    Download the default manager app and you can do it easily like that

    As Funklogic said, a little box should pop up asking which player you want to use as default, just select whichever one you want
  9. #9  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    You CAN replace the music player by downloading one from the Google Play store and setting it as default

    I use and recommend PowerAmp, which BLOWS AWAY the stock music player in terms of sound quality and more...I recommend paying for it but you can trial it


    You can make it the default player by going to Settings -> Application Manager, and clicking the app and click "Set Default"
    or
    You can get a default manager app which is easy to use, here is what i recommend


    As for all those apps in the notification bar, I don't think you can change those, but PowerAmp has its own notification system which works just as good
    nice app man

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Dog5000's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I think the answers for me are twofold. 1. Try a default app manager. 2. Don't worry about the default Music Player being shown among the applications available when the headset is inserted. If I set another music player as default, then this should resolve item 2.

    The only reason I want to change the default Music Player is because it shows up in the Notifications pulldown, rather than the preferred music player. Overall this is a minor concern, and my attempt to save a few clicks each time I have to reinsert the headphone jack during the workday.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    I want to change the default player because I like using Google Play Music and every time I get in and out of my car and connect to Bluetooth, the Samsung player starts playing. Drives me nuts. I had a Galaxy Nexus prior and never had this issue. I store my entire library in the Google Play cloud and love it. But I have to hit stop every time on the Samsung player and then start Google play. Frustrating as I get in out of my car 6-8 times a day for work.
    funkylogik likes this.
  12. #12  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Theres an app that might help but havent tried it. Hold on.......
    ....."default app manager"
    Let us know if that works plz bro... :beer:

    Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    Theres an app that might help but havent tried it. Hold on.......
    ....."default app manager"
    Thanks.....I had downloaded and set that up 1 hour before commenting on this thread and all I can say is when I click on an MP3 attached to an email (like a voicemail message), it still opens in the Samsung player, despite the Default App Manager set to Google Music Player. And if I go to a folder on my device with an MP3 in it, and click on the MP3 file it asks me which player I want to use amongst all the options (not using the default as it's set). So I'm still at a loss...

    Anyone know if there's a way to tell the Samsung Music player NOT to start playing automatically when BT audio is connected? Similar to the earphone port settings?
    mookleedwards likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Further update, it's not super reliable but the Default App Manager is working most of the time. When I get in my car and BT connects, the Samsung Music player starts about 25% of the time, and the rest of the time Google Play Music starts (as I have it set). Strange. Still, when an MP3 is clicked on the device Samsung Music player starts automatically and never offers the Android Default player (which is a small pop-up player rather than the full screen Samsung player).
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Have you checked under the settings for the Samsung music player to see if there is an option to disable auto play when connected to a headset? I had a problem with multiple music players that were set to play music when headset connected and both would startup when I connected, so I had to disable the one via its own app settings. At least that's what happened on my old phone. I don't know if that is the case here, as my s3 is rooted and removed the stock app (which is also a viable option for you if you aren't afraid of rooting).
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I think the answers for me are twofold. 1. Try a default app manager. 2. Don't worry about the default Music Player being shown among the applications available when the headset is inserted. If I set another music player as default, then this should resolve item 2.

    The only reason I want to change the default Music Player is because it shows up in the Notifications pulldown, rather than the preferred music player. Overall this is a minor concern, and my attempt to save a few clicks each time I have to reinsert the headphone jack during the workday.
    If you are trying to save time and clicks, you can set your music player to automatically play when you plug headphones in. That's how mine is set up. I use poweramp, which is by far my favorite music player (it sounds amazing and is really great for customization), and I have it set to autoplay when I plug my headphones in. I disabled the stupid "Audio Applications" thing in the notification bar because it just got in the way of my other notifications. Poweramp's player controls show up in the notification bar when it is playing music, so if you need to plug headphones in but don't want music, you can pull your notification bar down and turn it off as it comes on. 99% of the time I'm playing music when I put headphones in, so this was the ideal solution for me.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    There are no settings inside the Samsung Music player to allow you to turn on or off it's automatic functions. It has very few custom options.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    You could disable the stock Music Player in your applications if you hate it that much, '!
    Can you explain how to do this? I sure don't know how w/o a rooted system (which I'm not interested in doing).
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henderson View Post
    There are no settings inside the Samsung Music player to allow you to turn on or off it's automatic functions. It has very few custom options.
    That's what I thought, but I couldn't remember. I'm not sure what else you could try then, without rooting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henderson View Post
    Can you explain how to do this? I sure don't know how w/o a rooted system (which I'm not interested in doing).
    If you go into your phone settings and select the application manager option, you can see all the apps installed on your phone, and from there you can force stop, uninstall, clear data, clear cache, or clear defaults for most apps. Unfortunately for system apps, you don't have the option to uninstall but for a few it does give you the option to "disable" in place of uninstall. Unfortunately I'm fairly certain the music player will not have that option, but you are welcome to check anyways. A while back on this same thread somebody said that their "disable" option was greyed out and not clickable. I am not running stock, so I can't see for myself, but I'm certain the music app can't be disabled, it's too integrated into the touchwiz system. Disable option is usually only available for things like ChatOn, or MediaHub, or other bloatware. I'd check anyways though just to be sure. Honestly, aside from what you have already done, there's really not much else you can do without root.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Your memory serves you right - there is NO option to disable the Samsung Music player. Tried that before I ever posted on this board. Oh well...for the most part the Default App Manager program works 80-90% of the time so that's bearable.

    Quote Originally Posted by jakeinator21 View Post
    If you go into your phone settings and select the application manager option, you can see all the apps installed on your phone, and from there you can force stop, uninstall, clear data, clear cache, or clear defaults for most apps. ... Honestly, aside from what you have already done, there's really not much else you can do without root.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henderson View Post
    Your memory serves you right - there is NO option to disable the Samsung Music player. Tried that before I ever posted on this board. Oh well...for the most part the Default App Manager program works 80-90% of the time so that's bearable.
    Darn, I thought as much. Well, best of luck to you!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Dog5000's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by jakeinator21 View Post
    If you are trying to save time and clicks, you can set your music player to automatically play when you plug headphones in. That's how mine is set up. I use poweramp, which is by far my favorite music player (it sounds amazing and is really great for customization), and I have it set to autoplay when I plug my headphones in. I disabled the stupid "Audio Applications" thing in the notification bar because it just got in the way of my other notifications. Poweramp's player controls show up in the notification bar when it is playing music, so if you need to plug headphones in but don't want music, you can pull your notification bar down and turn it off as it comes on. 99% of the time I'm playing music when I put headphones in, so this was the ideal solution for me.
    Good suggestions on saving steps. I've used Poweramp in the past and did like it, but it was force closing often enough to become an annoyance. I went back to using the default Music Player. This was in the ICS timeframe and the force closes could have been more to do with ICS than anything else. Now with Jellybean I'm still using the stock player. I'll go back and checkout Poweramp.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Interesting. I've never had any issues with poweramp.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henderson View Post
    Your memory serves you right - there is NO option to disable the Samsung Music player. Tried that before I ever posted on this board. Oh well...for the most part the Default App Manager program works 80-90% of the time so that's bearable.
    Anyone figure out how to stop the stock Samsung Music Player app from starting when you plug in a headset? I have installed Default App Manager Lite and set default to my music player of choice Music Player (Remix) and when I plug in headset it keeps giving me the stock one. I have even used the settings from within Music Player (Remix) to start playing music on headset plug in but the stock player comes up every time. I would like to figure this out without rooting. I am frustrated, anyone been able to figure this out?
    Last edited by macbook5; 03-20-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: changed my music player app
  25. #25  
    KreepyKen's Avatar
    Just a cool guy

    Posts
    389 Posts
    ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

    Default Re: Change default music player?

    Quote Originally Posted by macbook5 View Post
    Anyone figure out how to stop the stock Samsung Music Player app from starting when you plug in a headset? I have installed Default App Manager Lite and set default to my music player of choice (Astro Player) and when I plug in headset it keeps giving me the stock one. I have even used the settings from within Astro Player to start playing music on headset plug in but the stock player comes up every time. I would like to figure this out without rooting. I am frustrated, anyone been able to figure this out?
    Settings / System / Accessory - uncheck the "Audio Applications" checkbox in the Earphones section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. default music player problems.
    By drumzalicious in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 06:18 PM
  2. Download Default music player?
    By bigk in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 06:26 AM
  3. Evo's Default Music player
    By schmikaz in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM
  4. How do i change the default music player?
    By tempest111 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 07:23 PM
  5. Change default music app under bluetooth?
    By NewYorkLaw in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

B