So, uh, this phone apparently cant send MMS.

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
First off, great f***'ing job Samsung.

Ive been doing some research and apparently this phone is having a hell of a time sending MMS. I just got this phone last Sunday and it seems flaky at best when sending MMS. I'm on Rogers, which is a country wide Canadian network.

Im on wifi at pretty much all times and it never sends through the stock messaging app. I've tried on 3G/4G but it makes no difference. Im not adverse to using a different app but... seriously? It cant just work? What year is this again?

So, yeah. Does anyone know of a fix for this? This is making me quite upset because this is a trivial feature that should be working 100% at all times.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I send stupid stuff to my wife all the time with mms and it always works. Could the file sizes be too big?

I would say get a video editor, take a large video file and send it to yourself. See if it fails, if so, cut the video in half and try again. You could also call Rodgers and see if they have a limit. I just like to play

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Works fine on Telus on my S3, only oddity I have found is that pics sent from my wife's S2 show up as a slideshow...of 1. But that is a commonly reported issue.

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Seems to work okay with GoSMS Pro.

Sigh... I guess in order to have customization ability one must put up with bugs... no matter how stupid they are. :-\

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Im really not sure why this works no problem over an app but doesnt over the stock messaging client. Very strange.

I guess this is solved to anyone looking at this in the future, I'll try and do some digging with the stock app and see what could cause this behavior and report back.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
GoSms is great once u spend an hour customising and making it perfect. ive never used stock messanger on s3 but thats prety crap that it dont work,..
ps, download go sms emoji plug-in and DONT disable the stock messaging app ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
GoSms is great once u spend an hour customising and making it perfect. ive never used stock messanger on s3 but thats prety crap that it dont work,..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Just got this phone last Friday. Everything stock (can't root because i use a MacBook Pro), and everything works great!!! Best phone i've ever owned. :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I sent 130 or so pictures last month. No issues here.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Last edited:

The_colombian

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
To send and receive mms you must have a cell data connection. If u are on wifi, when u hit send the wifi and cell symbol will show at the same time. If u disable mobile data and are on wifi it will fail. At least this is my experience.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Im really not sure why this works no problem over an app but doesnt over the stock messaging client. Very strange.

I guess this is solved to anyone looking at this in the future, I'll try and do some digging with the stock app and see what could cause this behavior and report back.

We understand you're upset, but think positively. It's obviously a software bug. Did you attempt to factory reset at all? 9/10 times that will do the trick. No need to be hostile, you wouldn't throw out a brand new computer the first time it had an issue I'd assume. Factory reset THAN report back.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Just sent off a video message through the messaging app.... Never actually tried until I saw this thread. Work's for me on Bell Mobility... Also doesn't work on WiFi only.

Sent from my Melita Tin Can & String

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm using GoSMS, it's pretty slick.

To digress slightly, can you test something for me? When trying to send a screenshot the quality is quite poor when sending only over GoSMS, but is fine over the stock messaging app (In terms of quality, no idea if its sending or not.) Are you seeing the same issue by chance?

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
my plan doesnt include mms so i have no idea sorry

T.Barnhart

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that you need a mobile data connection to send mms. (I asked once back when I was using my evo 4g) I only use the stock app so i couldnt say what happens with gosms. (I don't want to spend all that time getting gosms set up).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah mms kind of sends a file over the internet and a sms type thing to trigger it so you need data settings and an mms allowance (in UK anyway)
btw if you get friends to use Go Sms, you can send pics, vice recordings, handwriting, drawings as an SMS so completely free (if you have free txt) :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish