Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP build 26

Default Will any of the S3 variants work in Japan?

Hey, my brother is in the marines and is going to be spending a good majority of the next 2 years in Japan. I have been trying to do research on the mobile networks in Japan, but it has been confusing. What we are looking for is a phone that he can order right now, have delivered in the USA, use on a network(likely GSM?) and then when he goes to Japan he can use on a Japanese network.

My initial thought was to get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus directly from Google. No contracts, decent price, etc. But I am unsure whether or not it will run on any Japanese networks. If it does, which one will it run on? We also like the Samsung Galaxy S3 if the Nexus isn't our solution. Does any one have any experience with mobile networks in Japan? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Will any of the S3 variants work in Japan?

I would think the international version would do the trick....A quick google says that you can use it on ATT not sure about japan. I am pretty sure the unlocked international version is where you want to start your search for the S3

I wouldn't count on it. The Galaxy is sold here by DoCoMo exclusively. And they will protect that exclusivity at all cost. The phone market here is hyper-protective and archaic. Skype doesn't work on the S3 here because Docomo wants to charge 64 yen a minute for you to talk to anyone (domestically) not on Docomo.

Sent from my SC-06D using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quick check on wikipedia says that everything apart from LTE should work in Japan if you use the international GT-I9300.

Hi there,

I saw your old post from a couple years ago about using Samsung in Japan.
    I have a Galaxy S3 mini (unlocked European version) and plan to travel to Japan.
    I wonder if you or your brother ever suceeded in using a Samsung there. And I wonder if you know Andrew Johnson, who was with the Air Force in Okinawa a couple years ago.

Thanks,

JH

That's like going to a NASCAR race with 160,000 people, and asking if you know Fred over at turn 3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Quote Originally Posted by johiga View Post
    Hi there,

I saw your old post from a couple years ago about using Samsung in Japan.
    I have a Galaxy S3 mini (unlocked European version) and plan to travel to Japan.
    I wonder if you or your brother ever suceeded in using a Samsung there. And I wonder if you know Andrew Johnson, who was with the Air Force in Okinawa a couple years ago.

Thanks,

JH
    I'm wondering the same thing. I'll be traveling to Okinawa, Japan to visit my mother. I'm wondering if I'll be able to use my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 while I'm over there. I know the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 is unlocked because of some FCC rule but I'm just wondering if I can use it with a prepaid plan. Anyone know? Thanks. 😄

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk