Absolutely atrocious battery life on my S3

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

My goal is to use my phone as much as needed during the day then get it on my charger at bedtime. If I can get 12 to 15 hours I'm pretty happy. The battery for 2 days thing is a myth for anyone who uses their phone to any extent.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm struggle with my battery also. I charged my phone occasionally while at work and about 3 hours ago I charged it for about 30 minutes.

How do these numbers look?

They look pretty good. Seems normal for the non-bum unit S3.

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been pretty pleased with the battery life on my S3 so far. Most days, I will end up with about 25%-35% battery left after 15-16 hours and roughly 2-2.5 hours of screen time. This will be a little less if I got into playing any games, some of which can be really big battery drainers, but super fun. (NBA Jam)

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been pretty pleased with the battery life on my S3 so far. Most days, I will end up with about 25%-35% battery left after 15-16 hours and roughly 2-2.5 hours of screen time. This will be a little less if I got into playing any games, some of which can be really big battery drainers, but super fun. (NBA Jam)

This seems to be the general average of usage. I am getting more than that but I haven't been using my phone as much recently. For the record power saver does indeed improve battery life. By how much I am not sure.

If you think you might have less than normal usage, use the battery monitor app mentioned (gsam I think). I watched mine pretty close one time and noticed I was getting a "wake-lock" which I understand is not a good thing. Did a little poking around and a member on XDA noted with his SGS2 a persistent wake-lock battery drain, solved it by running an app on his computer called "MP3 Checker". The wake lock he had and me too was from corrupted mp3 files. Removed the corrupted files and now I don't have a wake-lock.

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be the general average of usage. I am getting more than that but I haven't been using my phone as much recently. For the record power saver does indeed improve battery life. By how much I am not sure.

If you think you might have less than normal usage, use the battery monitor app mentioned (gsam I think). I watched mine pretty close one time and noticed I was getting a "wake-lock" which I understand is not a good thing. Did a little poking around and a member on XDA noted with his SGS2 a persistent wake-lock battery drain, solved it by running an app on his computer called "MP3 Checker". The wake lock he had and me too was from corrupted mp3 files. Removed the corrupted files and now I don't have a wake-lock.

Thanks for the tip. I do have a lot of mp3's on my SD that are of somewhat questionable quality, so I will check this out for sure. I did forget to mention in my post that I do use the power saver option all the time, except I have unchecked the box for CPU scaling b/c I did not like how it affected scrolling when browsing the web. I also toggle my screen between 20% brightness inside and 80% brightness outside using an nfc tag. The same tag toggles my wifi and bluetooth as I go in and out, so I think that helps save maybe 1-2% per day, lol.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I do have a lot of mp3's on my SD that are of somewhat questionable quality, so I will check this out for sure. I did forget to mention in my post that I do use the power saver option all the time, except I have unchecked the box for CPU scaling b/c I did not like how it affected scrolling when browsing the web. I also toggle my screen between 20% brightness inside and 80% brightness outside using an nfc tag. The same tag toggles my wifi and bluetooth as I go in and out, so I think that helps save maybe 1-2% per day, lol.

Yea check GSAM frequently. I noticed mine said "Wake-lock" and under that was "media server" indicating something going on with media files hence my mp3 files on my sd card.

anon(823957)

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The biggest thing that has been draining my battery is Facebook. I find that if I force close the app, its like I'm using a brand new phone. Instead of a decrease of 5-10% an hour, I'm looking at 2-3%.

Another one was ES File Browser, had to remove that one. Not sure what, but something about it was contributing to my "Android System" high percentage.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Lol thought you guys might like to see this.
epe9yhap.jpg

Sent from my rooted, unlocked, debloated, over clocked galaxy s3.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350494475876.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350494475876.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 26

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
84% after 12 hours. Not bad huh? Granted I haven't used my phone much in the last 12 hours but I don't use any battery saving strategies. Have auto sync set, and I even use a live wallpaper.

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I get ok battery life on my gs3. Going on about 12 hours. However I'm gonna try limiting the background processes to see if I can get anymore. Does 2 sound like a good amount?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
84% after 12 hours. Not bad huh? Granted I haven't used my phone much in the last 12 hours but I don't use any battery saving strategies. Have auto sync set, and I even use a live wallpaper.

Seriously? I have never seen these numbers unless the phone sat on the side table in sleep mode.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
This is true, however it may not be the case here. It's definitely not with my S3. On the weekends I get awesome battery life (12-14 hrs) without trying any battery saving tips. When I am at work though my battery drains ridiculously fast. The reason is I get awful coverage (even though I'm in a strong 4g area) and it is eating my battery life. My cell standby is always 30-40%.
OP a good way to check is just see what your time without signal is. Mine is typically 20 - 30% which is pretty bad.
A couple things that helped:
Don't be afraid to ask for a new sim card - or even a new phone
Try powering off/removing your sim card/ powering back on and wait 30 sec/ power back off and replace sim/ power back on.
I did these couple things and while its not perfect its better.
I have also been told that there is a patch coming soon to fix connection issues.

Not sure if any of these are your problem, but hope it helps.

just to add to this, for anyone who doesnt know, just tap on the battery graph to see when you did and didnt have a signal ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

bfdavids

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What annoys me most is that the phone is losing battery so quick while it's just in my pocket on sleep. I keep everything off or low and yet after a few hours of standby the battery has dropped to 70%. Any solution to this? Anyone have a lifesaving answer haha?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? I have never seen these numbers unless the phone sat on the side table in sleep mode.

According to that screen shot that's exactly what his phone did.

Or he charged it but not enough to reset the counter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
According to that screen shot that's exactly what his phone did.

Or he charged it but not enough to reset the counter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Or he knows how to use photoshop. Which would sadden me. It's impressive.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Or he knows how to use photoshop. Which would sadden me. It's impressive.

Lol no photo shop or any other bs going on here guys. It's legit. That's the power and beauty of Scotts cleanrom. Amazing battery life. Amazing smoothness and speed. Also, I admitted that I hadn't used my phone much during that time but it by no means sat there not being used at all. Just light use and the power of a great rom. Simple.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol no photo shop or any other bs going on here guys. It's legit. That's the power and beauty of Scotts cleanrom. Amazing battery life. Amazing smoothness and speed. Also, I admitted that I hadn't used my phone much during that time but it by no means sat there not being used at all. Just light use and the power of a great rom. Simple.

but not overclocked lol?
or set with a low minimum clock speed?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

That is pretty awesome. :p

sharkaloha

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I am from Singapore and I don't understand why the battery life on my S3 is so poor. I have tried switching off WiFi and doing all the normal battery saving steps but there has been no improvement at all. I don't understand why with 89% battery I only am getting 5h battery time. I have a good strong signal most of hte time.

Could someone please tell me what the problem could be? :(

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-01-12-30-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-01-12-30-29.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 21

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Poor? You've been running on the battery for 5 hours and used only 11% of capacity. At that rate, you could get 40 hours and still have some battery left. Why do you think this is poor?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463