ANROID System Battery Drain, Cell standby, GSIFF Daemon

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sprint S3

I've noticed that there will be times that under batter settings, ANDROID SYSTEM will use anywhere from 35-70% of the battery, causing it to quickly drain.

Resetting, and taking out the battery doesn't do anything. I also cleared cache and it didn't solve the problem. I charged the phone to 100 until the light turned green and that seems to have worked as now the Android system is only using 4%. However, "Cell Standby" is now up to 46%. It's as if cell standby and android system take turns switching on being the greater battery drain.

When Android System was the primary problem, I hit the refresh button on the top right corner under the battery setting and it would say, "GSIFF Daemon" which after some research seems to be gyroscope related.

I was getting great battery life prior to the latest Sprint update for the phone.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
everyone has to understand that all the percentages have to add up to 100, thats what a percentage is, so when one thing uses less of the percentage of the battery life, the other things are gona show higher percentages, its more of a ratio than an amount ;)
dont know if that helps mate

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that Android system should never be using that much. It was always around 3-8 % but after the latest update, it has shot up to 35-70%

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
right, doubt i got that update so dont know mate. i suppose if a bug made the gyro' active at all times it would keep the phone awake and cause heavy drain?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I saw this last night on my VZW GS3. It definitely has something to do with the gyroscope. On XDA, some people are saying that it starts after a hot reboot. The gsiff_daemon process goes nuts. After a reboot it seems fine. I put a CPU meter in my status bar and I'm watching it.

A workaround is to delete or rename the process (if you're rooted, of course). I haven't done that because I don't know exactly what the repercussions will be, although people who have tried swear it doesn't hurt anything.

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hot reboot is when the apps and launcher reload w/o a full reboot, I think. It's happened to me after a hard app crash.

In any case, I now have the Elixir2 CPU meter in my status bar. Yesterday I was using Maps to navigate somewhere and noticed 90% CPU usage. Elixir's "top" screen showed it was the gsiff daemon. I killed it and CPU went down, navigation continued as before. So the process went wild just from using GPS & maps, no hot reboot needed.

Lots of stuff in this thread: [Q] what is Gsiff_daemon and why is it destroying my battery? - Page 11 - xda-developers

k1ng r4t

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok no, this is not normal. This is one of the few GS3 problems. There seems to always be one common factor. Yes yes some people have mega battery drain from this or that, but if all stats are average except Android System, then it's not a rogue app or screen brightness or GPS or anything like that.

Check Wi-Fi settings - Advanced - Keep WiFi on during sleep = Never.

I played around with this issue A LOT, trying to cause it and/or fix it. There were no common denominators. Finally came across this suggestion, Android System hasn't passed 7% all week, usually staying around 4.2%. NOW battery life is normal. Trying to spread the word. Hope this helps.

I also had gsiff_daemon and tried both renaming and deleting it. Made no difference at all. So I'm not sure if it needs to be done in conjunction with this, but changing that wifi setting is what made the difference. Good luck.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
+1 for setting wifi awake when asleep "never" :)
good common battery saving tip :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hot reboot is when the apps and launcher reload w/o a full reboot, I think. It's happened to me after a hard app crash.

In any case, I now have the Elixir2 CPU meter in my status bar. Yesterday I was using Maps to navigate somewhere and noticed 90% CPU usage. Elixir's "top" screen showed it was the gsiff daemon. I killed it and CPU went down, navigation continued as before. So the process went wild just from using GPS & maps, no hot reboot needed.

Lots of stuff in this thread: [Q] what is Gsiff_daemon and why is it destroying my battery? - Page 11 - xda-developers

thanx for the Elixir cpu statusbar icon tip mate, love it :)
hows battery use though?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress