Freezing problems on Samsung Galaxy S3

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fixed a S3 Freeze here is how
Factory wipe = still Freezing :(

Re Flash with Odin Factory wipe after = No Freezing :)

Chrome updated and still ok
No Facebook app (Customer Using Web and flipboard ) No Freezing :)
It seems that these two together have issues with the phone
Wife has a S3 BTU and no facebook app as we took it off before the last update and she has No problems
I have a S3 on VOD firmware :)-\) I no But NO Facebook and NO problems

It is worth a Try
Facebook is a Third party app and its not down to any one other then Facebook to test this

Alex May

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I installed cyanogenmod on my S3 to try to alleviate this problem but it's still happening.

the phone is fine, for a long time, and then some special set of conditions must over and it starts freezing.

I've found a few things:

1. The state is not a total freeze. If you leave the phone, it will recover. Not only that but the phone will be a bit better after leaving it to do this. it won't fix the problem altogether but I find it helps the phone work for longer if I leave it to work out its problems in peace.

2. the freeze is gradual: things stop working one by one..

it's really hard to type in this box on my phone so I'll stop but maybe check in later with more info

Phantomlynx

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE:

My freshly swapped phone was so bad yesterday that it was barely useable, freezing every 15-30min. So in desperation I did a actors reset and spent today reloading key apps a few at a time and thus far, no freezes... Will keep you posted

digirail

May 13, 2013
Visit site
My S3 was working in excellent condition for about 7 months. Then it started hanging once in a week or two. Now it is hanging too many times in a day and I am unable to use it. I followed all the help instructions in solving the problem, but of no use. I am sure it is some defect in the hardware becoming weak. I tried rooting and reloading the OS, but no luck. I went and got a new galaxy S4 4G LTE model last week as I could not get the HTC one. I have the iphone 4S and 5 running without any problem, but prefer the Android OS.

digirail

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I had done the same many times. Even without adding any applications it freezes. It was working great for about 7 months, then the freezing problems started increasing. I am sure it is the hardware becoming weak or defective after long usage.

Lusse

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi again,

my issues are getting worse and worse. I?m going for the factory reset again this week-end as it helped me the last time.

But as I know that even if it works this time aswell, it?s going to start acting up again after some months I?m currently thinking of swapping the phone for something else than Samsung. I?ve lost my fate in their products as this week, 2 of my collegues started to have issues wiht their S2?s aswell (allthough other issues, not freezing).

My Samsung Galaxy TAB is also behaiving strange, loosing my email-signature after some time. I had to remake the signature three times over the last year and I cant find out why it suddenly just "forgets" it - replacing it with something like "Sent from my Samsung tablet" instead.

What I find strange with my S3 is:

After I did the factory reset last time it worked for some months, then it started again. If it was an hardware problem I cant see how a reset of the software could solve the issue. Even without any third party apps the issue came back after some months.

jata

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Like many others on here, I too have been experiencing the same problems.

When I first got the phone (about June/July last year) it was fine But just after a month or so, my phone did a really weird thing and the screen went all multi-coloured until eventually it when dark. It was un-useable.

So after sending it back to Telstra, I got a replacement (sitll same imei no. though). And it worked fine, and I honestly cant remember when, but it started freezing. At first, it was just once a day, and thats was fine. It wasn't ideal but I could put up with it. And it didnt even freeze all the time just every now and then. Now its freezing a lot more fequently and several times a day. Last night alone, it freezed over a dozen times. I honestly lost count.

I was connected to wifi at home at the time, and that could be the problem but I was using it at work too and I'm not connected to wifi there and it froze, so maybe it isn't. But it did start to freeze more freuquently at home.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago I did a factory reset. And it worked...for about a week. It's driving me nuts!

I am going to try to factory reset without any third party apps (as alot of people have suggested) but my Question to anyone who can aswer is how long should I wait before I start loading apps such as Facebook and Words with Friends on my phone? As I said, somedays it will work fine with no freezing and other times I just want to throw it against the wall.

Thanks.

haydar sevindik

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I had the same freezing problem. I did factory reset and it's been working fine. The only difference is exchange email. I did not setup exchange email after reset. I suspect that exchange mail cause freezing problem bu i am mot sure. Maybe you can try to delete exchange email if it's setup on your phone and you can test it if it freezes again or not.

neshan

May 21, 2013
Visit site
this is what happening to my S3
my phone is 1 month old(no warranty)
yesterday my phone was fine but suddenly the home screen froze around 10pm and i'm having a hard tym with the phone since then. when the freezing starts the sound plays no more,i restart(even tried removing the battery and placed it again) it it works fine for few seconds BUT THE PROBLEM STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN.,i've factory reseted my phone thrice, but that din't fix it. I SAVED A FORTUNE TO BUY THE PHONE. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are 169 posts before yours, with many suggestions on things you can do to solve the problem. Have you read those posts, and tried what was suggested? If not, I would suggest that's where you start. MOST freezing problems are related to software that's been installed or configuration settings that shouldn't have been messed with.

this is what happening to my S3
my phone is 1 month old(no warranty)
yesterday my phone was fine but suddenly the home screen froze around 10pm and i'm having a hard tym with the phone since then. when the freezing starts the sound plays no more,i restart(even tried removing the battery and placed it again) it it works fine for few seconds BUT THE PROBLEM STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN.,i've factory reseted my phone thrice, but that din't fix it. I SAVED A FORTUNE TO BUY THE PHONE. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Danistop

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes you're right... But if you do a factory reset then all your apps and settings are deleted. If the problem still persist then You can't blame the apps and settings anymore. The problem is in the os system... And the only way to solve it is to wipe it out and install a new one. It'll be as good as new. If that doesn't work either than yes you can say it's a hardware problem witch I doubt that very much.

neshan

May 21, 2013
Visit site
was the problem in your phone similar to mine
(home screen freeze,no sound play after it unfroze,can't attend a call or cannot hear whatever tey r saying in the other end neither can they
)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Danistop, my reply was meant for the one above yours, which I quoted in my post. I agree, if all else fails reinstalling the ROM is worth a try.

Danistop

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had almost the same problem. But my phone never unfrozed. The only way I could unfreeze it was to long press the power button and restart the phone.

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Please Advice, i have S3 international 16G Plue
just 2 weeks ago it started to freezing several time , i did all what u said before factory reset, take the battery out, put it in switch off the wireless, sd card out, put the phone in the oven and freezer
i sent my phone to the warranty and i told them i did all the above but i received it back after 1 day and the report said reloaded the software and they tested and worked fine , i started to use my phone normally and it freeze several time again.
the problem here this freez is random it means i dont know why it happening and when how i prove to them about this freezing ?
im sure its hardware, and seams they just want to put hands off and dont replace the motherbord or replace the phone.

Cristian Oancea

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Yo guys :) I had the same problem.. my S3 kept freezing and to get everything back to normal I had to pull out the battery and start it up again.

Here's what I did and it worked: i searched for 'Dummy file generator' on the Play store, installed it and then opened it. After you open the application, just press on 'Generate(FULL)'. That thing will generate a lot of files that will make your phone run out of memory. If it doesn't make it run out of memory, then repeat the prices... press Generate(FULL) again. If the phone freezes during the process, just restart it. After your phone ran out of memory, start the 'Dummy file generator' and press 'Delete'. That thing will delete all the files it created and your memory goes back to normal. That worked for my phone and everything is ok now. Actually it freezed one or two times in 2 days, but not like it did before :)

I hope this will help some of you guys :)

kadash

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
am Having the same problem, i bought my s3 before 8 months, 2 weeks ago it started to freeze for about 10 minutes and work again after that but the battery drops too much, so i returned my s3 to Samsung, and after i received a message from them (5 days later) that my phone is ready, at the same day after only a few hours from receiving it, the same problem occurred again ( freezing, restating and battery drop) it's now with Samsung again. still waiting :( :(
am not an expert but i think it's a ram problem or maybe a virus.
By the way my s3 is made in (Vietnam) i don't know if this has anything to do with the originality.