1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Notification bar: Contacts back up, network connection failed

Hi all

I got my Samsung Galaxy S3 today and I love it, however I keep getting an orange notification icon in my notification bar which says something like 'contacts back up, network connection failed' does anyone know what this means or why it keeps popping up? My network connection seems fine and I haven't set the phone to back up anything.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Notification bar: Contacts back up, network connection failed

android should back up contacts to your google account but i dont know why its failing if you have wifi/mobile data

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

If you look in Settings -> Accounts and sync: do you have it set to ON?
    From there, if you select your Google account-> Sync settings: is Sync Contacts checked?
    Unless you installed some 3rd party application that also syncs your information those should be the only things to check.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

samsung account as well mate

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Whenever I try to backup and/or restore from the samsung accounts for SMS, Logs, Wallpaper....it keeps failing! anyone else having this issue?

Yes I'm having the exact same problem.. And this is the second time I'm experiencing this. When the first S3 died on me I wasn't all that worried because hey it's an android phone with Samsung Backup and all these fancy backup features so it was mostly just an inconvenience having to do without a phone for a month when it was away at the servicecenter. It wasn't until I bought a new one (also S3) and tried to use all these fancy backup features that I realized it didn't work..! And I'd lost everything.
    I figured it properly wasn't Samsung that was at fault here since they offer this service to so many customers, so I really upped my part and made absolutely sure I'd done everything correctly in terms of setup, sync, backup and all that. So when my new phone also died, without any warning, and I lost everything because it had to do a factory reset in order to get it running again I was sure I would be able to get my data from the backup.
    But no, same error message every time!
    I feel so stupid running into this problem twice.. I can even see and choose from both of my backups (one from each phone!) so they are there, on the server, but I can't restore from them no matter what I do. I've even contacted Samsung about this and it seems they (pardon my french) but it seems like they don't give a rats *** about it.
    I'm so disappointed with Samsung (S3) and soo embarrassed to admit that I actually went out and bough a second one when the first one started failing less then two months after I got it.. I really didn't expect it to happen to me twice, with 2 different brand new phones.. But it did

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I'm having the exact same problem.. And this is the second time I'm experiencing this. When the first S3 died on me I wasn't all that worried because hey it's an android phone with Samsung Backup and all these fancy backup features so it was mostly just an inconvenience having to do without a phone for a month when it was away at the servicecenter. It wasn't until I bought a new one (also S3) and tried to use all these fancy backup features that I realized it didn't work..! And I'd lost everything.
    I figured it properly wasn't Samsung that was at fault here since they offer this service to so many customers, so I really upped my part and made absolutely sure I'd done everything correctly in terms of setup, sync, backup and all that. So when my new phone also died, without any warning, and I lost everything because it had to do a factory reset in order to get it running again I was sure I would be able to get my data from the backup.
    I feel so stupid running into this problem twice.. I can even see and choose from both of my backups (one from each phone!) so they are there, on the server, but I can't restore from them no matter what I do. I've even contacted Samsung about this and it seems they (pardon my french) but it seems like they don't give a rats *** about it.
    I'm so disappointed with Samsung (S3) and soo embarrassed to admit that I actually went out and bough a second one when the first one started failing less then two months after I got it.. I really didn't expect it to happen to me twice, with 2 different brand new phones.. But it did

Yes I'm having the exact same problem.. And this is the second time I'm experiencing this. When the first S3 died on me I wasn't all that worried because hey it's an android phone with Samsung Backup and all these fancy backup features so it was mostly just an inconvenience having to do without a phone for a month when it was at the servicecenter. It wasn't until I bought a new one (also S3) and tried to use all these fancy backup features that I realized it didn't work..! And I'd lost everything.
    I feel so stupid running into this problem twice.. I can see and choose from both of my backups (one from each phone!) so they are there, on the server, but I can't restore from them no matter what I do. I've even contacted Samsung about this and it seems they (pardon my french) but it seems like they don't give a rats *** about it.