What's one thing you dislike about your Galaxy S3?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem initially with my Aux cable. Couldn't hear anything coming through the stereo speakers so I thought it was a bad cable or that there was an issue with the S3 and my stereo's Aux system. So I tried a different Aux cable in the kid's car and had the same problem. Strange, I thought as we could hear the radio just fine prior to flipping over to Aux and the S3. That clued me in on volume as a potential problem. Sure enough I had to crank up the volume either on the S3 or the car stereo by at least two or three fold to hear anything well. Back to my truck with the other Aux cable I was finally able to hear audio out from the S3, but had to turn up the volume to ~ 30. For comparison even on the highway the levels I usually need are ~ 20 max. Prior to the S3 I had an iPhone 4S and used my truck stereo's USB connection. This worked great and could easily hear the iPhone output at much lower volume levels than required for the S3. So, give your volume levels another look on the S3 and your vehicle.
Thanks Dog5000. ;)
I switched from iPhone as well, and I actually always did need to adjust the volume louder whenever plugged into the aux cable in the vehicle with my iPhone.
But with the S3, the first time I plugged the aux in, there was nothing, no sound. Then I went to Settings > Accessory > Audio output mode...where I checked the box, and the music played great?and even at the same volume setting?as the radio was set to (unlike what you experienced with your S3, having to bump the volume up, and like I used to always have to do with my iPhones). But . . .that was only the first time I plugged the aux cable in. Ever since, even though the Audio output mode has remained checked . . . I can't get anything to work; no music will play over the vehicles speakers in aux mode! Really strange. :(

I'm sure the aux cable isn't bad, as I've plugged both an iPhone and a Galaxy Note into the same vehicles aux cable several times, to check the cable, and both the other phones work fine. So it's like my S3's Audio output mode stopped working ? after the first time I plugged in and put a check in the box ? which did make it work. All I did after that, was unplug the aux cable approx. an hour or so later, after listening to music whilst driving. I wonder if pulling the aux cable out of the S3 ? after that first time it worked ? could have messed something up in the S3? It shouldn't have. I don't think there's any kind of (unmount command) for an aux cable, is there?

Again, really weird, and frustrating. :( With the iPhone, for the last three years, never had a single problem. Except for having to boost the volume as aforementioned.

Ouzo92

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I know it's easily fixable with a third party app but I can't stand the group messaging function or lack there of. Also the keyboard is terrible other than that the phone is fantastic...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know it's easily fixable with a third party app but I can't stand the group messaging function or lack there of. Also the keyboard is terrible other than that the phone is fantastic...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

I downloaded gosms, go keyboard and golauncher...... fixed all of that.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Dog5000. ;)
I switched from iPhone as well, and I actually always did need to adjust the volume louder whenever plugged into the aux cable in the vehicle with my iPhone.
But with the S3, the first time I plugged the aux in, there was nothing, no sound. Then I went to Settings > Accessory > Audio output mode...where I checked the box, and the music played great?and even at the same volume setting?as the radio was set to (unlike what you experienced with your S3, having to bump the volume up, and like I used to always have to do with my iPhones). But . . .that was only the first time I plugged the aux cable in. Ever since, even though the Audio output mode has remained checked . . . I can't get anything to work; no music will play over the vehicles speakers in aux mode! Really strange. :(

I'm sure the aux cable isn't bad, as I've plugged both an iPhone and a Galaxy Note into the same vehicles aux cable several times, to check the cable, and both the other phones work fine. So it's like my S3's Audio output mode stopped working ? after the first time I plugged in and put a check in the box ? which did make it work. All I did after that, was unplug the aux cable approx. an hour or so later, after listening to music whilst driving. I wonder if pulling the aux cable out of the S3 ? after that first time it worked ? could have messed something up in the S3? It shouldn't have. I don't think there's any kind of (unmount command) for an aux cable, is there?

Again, really weird, and frustrating. :( With the iPhone, for the last three years, never had a single problem. Except for having to boost the volume as aforementioned.
Really weird. I'm not aware of an unmount command (not rooted, so not sure I could pull that off via a terminal session). To get weirder, I don't see an Accessory section in my Settings. I was going to walk through your steps but can't find Audio Output Mode. I am looking in the wrong places? I have a stock Verizon 4.0.4 ICS image. I don't have anything set at all to account for an Aux connection, so perhaps there is a bug (as you alluded to with the disappearing check box) in the Audio Output Mode feature? I have a limited understanding about Aux electronically, but don't think that the S3 can understand the difference between a supported 3.5mm jack from an Aux cable vs. that of a headset or headphones. So with known good Aux cables, to me that points to a flaky software feature. Going out on a limb here, though.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
In "sound" settings u can turn up "vibration intensity" (on JB anyway) combined with a keyboard that lets u adjust feedback, mine sounds like cats purring as i type lol :)

Unbranded Official TW s3.Paisley,Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
Good call, Funky. I just bumped up the Incoming Call and Notification levels, so will see if that helps. I'm used to the prior phones where it was all or nothing for vibration, and didn't know adjusting intensity was an option. Shows you how little I mess around with these particular settings. Great that the option is there, though.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Really weird. I'm not aware of an unmount command (not rooted, so not sure I could pull that off via a terminal session). To get weirder, I don't see an Accessory section in my Settings. I was going to walk through your steps but can't find Audio Output Mode. I am looking in the wrong places? I have a stock Verizon 4.0.4 ICS image. I don't have anything set at all to account for an Aux connection, so perhaps there is a bug (as you alluded to with the disappearing check box) in the Audio Output Mode feature? I have a limited understanding about Aux electronically, but don't think that the S3 can understand the difference between a supported 3.5mm jack from an Aux cable vs. that of a headset or headphones. So with known good Aux cables, to me that points to a flaky software feature. Going out on a limb here, though.
Yeah, I think I completely agree with you. ;) And oh, btw, I don't really know diddly about what I'm trying to say or talk about. :-[ lol
But I do think it's definitely an S3 problem, too, since the aux cable is oakey-dokey. ;-(

At Settings > scroll down until you see 'Accessory' (just below 'Back up and reset' >> and just above << 'Date and time' & ' Accessibility'), on my ICS 4.0.4 [w/ base & build ~LH9].

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Another thing I don't like, can't remember if I've already said it or not. But I don't like the call log screen. I hate not being able to 'save' a selected view...

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Dog5000. ;)

The thing with the headphone socket is it isnt at "line" output level (industry standard) so have to experiment... a volt meter would be handy :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded gosms, go keyboard and golauncher...... fixed all of that.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

Lol when u gona move to Nova pal? :)
Same features, just faster x
(I used GO for years)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Good call, Funky. I just bumped up the Incoming Call and Notification levels, so will see if that helps. I'm used to the prior phones where it was all or nothing for vibration, and didn't know adjusting intensity was an option. Shows you how little I mess around with these particular settings. Great that the option is there, though.

Did you know you can create your own vibration pattern too lol? Mine is like a mouse having a fit in my pocket... impossible to miss :)

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing that i dislike about my SGSIII. However, there is one thing that i'm curious about. With the phone off, when i get an email, the screen stays dark and the LED flashes. When i get a text msg, the lock screen comes on, and no LED flashes, unless i just close the phone. Is this a feature "built-in" to the phone, or maybe just ICS? :confused:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing that i dislike about my SGSIII. However, there is one thing that i'm curious about. With the phone off, when i get an email, the screen stays dark and the LED flashes. When i get a text msg, the lock screen comes on, and no LED flashes, unless i just close the phone. Is this a feature "built-in" to the phone, or maybe just ICS? :confused:

You can maybe change that option in your sms app. I have Go Sms set for the screen to stay off when i get a txt :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you know you can create your own vibration pattern too lol? Mine is like a mouse having a fit in my pocket... impossible to miss :)

Lol I noticed that feature like 3 months after I got my phone I was like ooooh snaaaapps thats tight!

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think I completely agree with you. ;) And oh, btw, I don't really know diddly about what I'm trying to say or talk about. :-[ lol
But I do think it's definitely an S3 problem, too, since the aux cable is oakey-dokey. ;-(

At Settings > scroll down until you see 'Accessory' (just below 'Back up and reset' >> and just above << 'Date and time' & ' Accessibility'), on my ICS 4.0.4 [w/ base & build ~LH9].
Think I understand now. My S3 version does not have a Settings\Accessory option, but does have a System\Dock. Screenshot_2012-11-17-17-55-53.png and then within Dock there's an option for Audio Output Mode. Screenshot_2012-11-17-18-02-40.pngMy build is IMM76D.I535VRALHE, so could be some differences between the two and how the Settings are named and laid out.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok after 2 months, I finally found something that annoys the hell out of me. Maybe there's a fix that I don't know about, but when I want to check my Phone Call Logs, all my SMS's are littered throughout.

Ok fixed....while typing I decided to check the settings menu on a whim, problem solved. So back to the OP question.....haven't found anything yet. :D

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Think I understand now. My S3 version does not have a Settings\Accessory option, but does have a System\Dock. and then within Dock there's an option for Audio Output Mode. My build is IMM76D.I535VRALHE, so could be some differences between the two and how the Settings are named and laid out.
Roger that, Dog5000. ;-) Been doing chores & watchin' college football so haven't messed with it today, but I'll report back in another day or two if I get it to work. ;) Thanks for your input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463