Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tsells
  • 1 Post By smooth4lyfe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Different notification sounds

I've just jumped ship from HMS Blackberry, so am learning Android like crazy. Is there anyway to create different types of notification, so I can set a sound for SMS, and something different for email, and nothing for delivery notifications etc.

I'm enjoying a lot of what my S3 can do but BB was really good with setting profiles etc

All help gratefully appreciated!

I wonder if a sticky thread for BB émigrés would be a good idea?

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Default Re: Different notification sounds

usualy set the sound from within each app or you can use Light Flow app to set different alerts and LEDs for each app mate

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomlynx View Post
    I've just jumped ship from HMS Blackberry, so am learning Android like crazy. Is there anyway to create different types of notification, so I can set a sound for SMS, and something different for email, and nothing for delivery notifications etc.

I'm enjoying a lot of what my S3 can do but BB was really good with setting profiles etc

Yes u can!
    Settings -> Sound, and you can change different ringtones and notifications
    If you go to your email and click the menu button, you can click settings and you can change the sound for the email notification
    If you go in your messaging app and click the menu button, you can go to settings and set your own SMS ringtone from there
    Thanked by 3:

.....and if you download your own sounds/ringtones, you should know that Android uses a different folder for notifications and one for ringtones (whereas BB uses one folder for all).
    Thanked by:
    funkylogik likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks guys will check this out but to be clear, I know I can change / download new sounds, but I'd like to be able to have a sound for my texts, but none for just delivery notifications

Thanks guys will check this out but to be clear, I know I can change / download new sounds, but I'd like to be able to have a sound for my texts, but none for just delivery notifications
    Just set your notification sounds to "None" in the Settings
    Thanked by:
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Hello and Welcome! I do not like the selection of Notification sounds provided on the S3. I am partial to the BB sounds and installed those on my S3. If you would like you can click on my SIG and download the "BB Ringtones" as well.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have, though ideally, I'd like to get them, just not be Boing'ed each time they came in!

That's another good thing about the BB system, you automatically know it has been delivered

What I liked about my BB was that you could set a message tone to a contact and a seperate ring tone to the same contact. Not found out how to do this on the s3 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by deanodrums View Post
    What I liked about my BB was that you could set a message tone to a contact and a seperate ring tone to the same contact. Not found out how to do this on the s3 yet.
    To set a ringtone for a specific contact, go to your contacts and click the contact you want to set a ringtone for, then click ringtone and you can make ir for that contact
    To set a separate SMS tone for a contact, I use GoSMS and it can do that easily. Its better than the stock messaging app has more needed features..check it from the Play Store
    Thanked by:
    funkylogik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    To set a ringtone for a specific contact, go to your contacts and click the contact you want to set a ringtone for, then click ringtone and you can make ir for that contact
    To set a separate SMS tone for a contact, I use GoSMS and it can do that easily. Its better than the stock messaging app has more needed features..check it from the Play Store
    I tried go SMS and I didn't really like it. In fact anything I have done to modify this phone I haven't liked so I just go back to stock.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Ok so made the jump from IOS to the Note 2 (I have never owned a droid). The issues I am having is the notification sounds. For example, All of my notifications have the same "sound" as my received text sound. So if say I get a notification from Draw Something that it is my turn to play, the notification sound comes in as though I am getting a text. 1) is there anyway to turn the sound of for certain notifications? I guess my main question would be I don't want every notification that comes in to sound like my text message. (Email is a dif sound) Any help would be great. I am aware that apps like facebook will let you choose the alert sound)

Global Posts
    6,886 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

MGeorge23 LightFlow. Check it out.

Go into sound settings and select the tone you want for your notifications. Then go into your text messaging app, press the menu button, go into settings, scroll down to notifications, then press select ringtone and choose your tone. Had my samsung for a year before I figured out I could do this. Should be fairly similar for any droid. Hope this helps.

Being new to Android (Samsung Note II ) I wanted to add more sounds to the list available for notifications especially a simple bleep for in the office. I found the MP3 sound and just uploaded it to the Notifications folder on the phone via Windows Explorer. You can also add a Notifications folder to a memory card and dump the files in there and Android seems to pick them up. Hope this helps