No jelly bean until 2013 for US carriers

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Would be nice but won't happen.. Especially from Verizon and Sprint with their proprietary files for LTE, etc under lock and key.

I do agree it would be nice to live in a world without carrier interference when it comes to updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

There has to be a way for at least Samsung to release a stock basic update for ALL GS3s to update to on a given date, then later in the months, the carriers could release another update to suit their bloatware and other stuff later in the month or year, but everyone would still have JellyBean for their phones...makes sense to me unless I'm missing something

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
as i said though paul, my int' unbranded s3 is still waiting for JB long after id hoped for but i understand peoples frustration at the carriers. people have to stop sucking on the "subsidised" teet tbh

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
as i said though paul, my int' unbranded s3 is still waiting for JB long after id hoped for but i understand peoples frustration at the carriers. people have to stop sucking on the "subsidised" teet tbh

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

That sucks Funky. The OEM's get their money along with the carriers and the consumer gets to wait around...

This is one of the main reasons back 2 plus years ago I rooted my first device. I wasn't going to wait around for the update and I'm so glad I jumped in when I did :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Is everyone in this thread new to Android or something?

It's not Google, or Samsung, or the Ghost of Christmas Past's fault. It's Verizon's overall decision when and if we get the update.

Most of you stressing out of this probably haven't even tried JB (I'm assuming). It's not necessarily ground-breaking, and if you want it that bad flash CM10 or something. No need to run in here teary-eyed, comparing our devices to Apple's (again). The iPhone has absolutely nothing to do with the Verizon Galaxy SIII receiving the JB update.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Not everyone knows how or wants to root their phones
Also rooting your phone removes the ability to get OTA updates in the future

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not everyone knows how or wants to root their phones
Also rooting your phone removes the ability to get OTA updates in the future

Exactly, that's why it's a choice per individual and I always respect whichever path a consumer takes.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
That sucks Funky. The OEM's get their money along with the carriers and the consumer gets to wait around...

This is one of the main reasons back 2 plus years ago I rooted my first device. I wasn't going to wait around for the update and I'm so glad I jumped in when I did :)

the reason i flashed in the past was mainly for performance boosts on cheap, very hackable phones (Zte Blade mmm)
thats why i kinda wanted to keep my s3 "virgin" :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hear ya. The SGSIII I'd awesome stock. The only reason I would have to root I'd two things..

1. Ditch the stock battery meter. I have to have a true 1% increment meter (wish Google would adopt this already)

2. Possibly run a very stock custom built with the above mentioned and a LTE toggle added to the current toggles.

Otherwise I play with my wife's SGSIII all the time and it rocks on stock!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i turned off the stock battery % meter on the 1st day and use Battery Notifier pro.
im not the type to be neurotic about watchin my charge go down and BN has it in huge coloured font :)

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
the way i see it its Samsungs fault made much worse by the carriers.
all unbranded s3s should be on JB by now but they arent.
its easy for senior android users to say "just remove the safety locks from your phone and flash the firmware" or "JB is no big deal" but that doesnt really cut it imo..

I understand what you're implying, but it's pointless to complain about something you could easily alter yourself. If people weren't so dismissive about these things than long time users wouldn't be so quick to pull the 'flash a ROM' card.

If having JB is your main concern than you have options. It's like someone saying they want to lose weight, you suggest they exercise, than they simply say, "that's too hard." Than we get comments like this which make it virtually impossible to explain how or why the update isn't here;

It doesn't cut it. I don't want to lose features or have them break. We've been promised this since summer and you shouldn't have to root to get updates. No more Samsung phones for me.

It's not like Samsung flips a light switch in a hall closet and turns on Jellybean. There's legal reasons they can't just push it to carrier branded devices, and the reason that the Google Galaxy Nexus gets updates seemingly instantly is because it's the GOOGLE Galaxy Nexus, not the Verizon Galaxy Nexus or AT&T Galaxy Nexus.

Is ICS considered a gimped OS now or something? Stock ICS is stable, fast, and reliable.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i have a right to complain lol!
i do know how to get JB now but it was "promised" to me officialy and without need to back up and then restore my phone to its former glory :)

p.s, i do LOVE ICS :) i even love this version of Touchwiz... maybe i just like to moan lol. maybe it just adds to the "excitement" to wait and moan lol. i duno :)

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. It's pretty disappointing. They all need a better way of communicating with each other. Carriers need to realize that the OEM has done their part. Now they need to hurry up and do theirs.

But as for rooting it was pretty easy. Especially with people like skunk ready to help you.

The rom I'm running has the 1% mod but I'm confused. What exactly is it? Lol

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
aye skunk is a legend mate :)
and he's gona be a buzy boy in the coming months lol.... i dont envy him ;)

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
No one said it will release in 2013. They said in the coming months. There is still two and a half months left in 2012. Don't worry about it like a child waiting for Santa. Youre not going to see him/it because you wait 24/7

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
No one said it will release in 2013. They said in the coming months. There is still two and a half months left in 2012. Don't worry about it like a child waiting for Santa. Youre not going to see him/it because you wait 24/7

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

lmao im on an unbranded gt-i9300, i wont be waiting for santa!
im just repeating the news that has been stated on several sites that US carriers wont be releasing it till early 2013! ;)

oops.. i apologise bro.. i thought i was replying to a different thread lol (theres too many JB threads) sorry man :beer:

anon(161369)

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Im actually happy with the phone the way it is, I don't see a need for jellybean short of a few features, the phone has been excellent for me and after multiple rom flashes and roots, I just revert back to stock but thats just me, one thing is for sure though I dont like being lied to ovet and over again with a release date....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I will blame both Samsung and the carriers. Samsung should gave them their JB a while ago. That's it for me after this phone I'm going WP8 or iOS. I see no point going Nexus cuz I'll be stuck in the same situation by being on Verizon.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I will blame both Samsung and the carriers. Samsung should gave them their JB a while ago. That's it for me after this phone I'm going WP8 or iOS. I see no point going Nexus cuz I'll be stuck in the same situation by being on Verizon.

thats a fairly extreme move mate lol. ICS is great!

p.s, why not dump the huge major carrier and buy Nexus straight from google and pick and choose pre-pay carrier as and when you want like most of the rest of the world ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
thats a fairly extreme move mate lol. ICS is great!

p.s, why not dump the huge major carrier and buy Nexus straight from google and pick and choose pre-pay carrier as and when you want like most of the rest of the world ;)

It's time for Samsung to step up, if the note has jelly bean, so should the GS3

But atleast I don't have to wait for it, im already on 4.1.2 :)

Ics was nice, but this is October, time for everyone to get with the times, the revolution is here uploadfromtaptalk1350511429309.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thats so true mate, but i think the unbranded s3 will have JB soon. if i had a carrier branded s3 id prob have mod'd it within the 1st week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12