Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: Best SMS app?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    There's a similar thread, although perhaps more Verizon specific, and may have some helpful info. I'm leaning back toward the stock application because it supports copy/paste. Likely the other third party apps noted in this thread do as well, but like others I just want a simple interface.
    Group Text Messaging

Thank you. The one thing keeping me from using the stock app is poor execution of group messaging. It doesn't show you which member of the conversation said what.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    Thank you. The one thing keeping me from using the stock app is poor execution of group messaging. It doesn't show you which member of the conversation said what.
    Sure, glad this helped some. I just figured out the copy/paste concern I had with the Verizon Messages app. Somehow I got into a state where the Copy Message Text function was not displayed, and only the choice to select Save Quick Text. Must have been user error on my part as there is indeed a copy/paste feature. So, I'm staying with Verizon Messages for now, but would use the stock app if it had the group messages capability.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Does anyone know how to disable the recent contacts popping up when you start a new message? I found it once but now I can't find it for the life of me.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Does anyone know how to disable the recent contacts popping up when you start a new message? I found it once but now I can't find it for the life of me.
    think you have to delete all threads mate....

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

Not exactly what I'm talking about. When I open a new message the contact field populates the last 3 contacts I've texted. It's annoying.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

ah, you dont want it to EVER show recent contacts?
    tbh i duno mate, its rare for me to use "compose", i just tap on a thread from the person and add to it... i dont really delete threads.
    dont think theres an option mate

...just searched all setings n cant find it mate...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK

Is there a JB stock messaging apk available (I know I probably need to root)? I'm using chomp now because it looks the best, but I honestly liked my stock ICS one on my last phone a lot more.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by Kuplex View Post
    Is there a JB stock messaging apk available (I know I probably need to root)? I'm using chomp now because it looks the best, but I honestly liked my stock ICS one on my last phone a lot more.
    would you have to be rooted if its an .apk?

GT-I9300, UK

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    would you have to be rooted if its an .apk?

Only if it needs to be in the system folder. I'll probably root tonight anyway. I miss the freedom to screw with stuff i shouldn't haha.
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by Kuplex View Post
    Only if it needs to be in the system folder. I'll probably root tonight anyway. I miss the freedom to screw with stuff i shouldn't haha.
    im feelin same way mate

GT-I9300, UK
    Kuplex likes this.

Nevermind, I found a stock MMS app that works in Sprint's TW JB.
    funkylogik likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  

For those that use go sms do you have your messages sort set to time or sent/received order?

Settings -> advanced -> important tips. It should say sort order or something to that effect.

I'm curious because I don't really understand the difference.
    Last edited by johnnyshinta; 11-02-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

For those that use go sms do you have your messages sort set to time or sent/received order?

Settings -> advanced -> important tips. It should say sort order or something to that effect.

I'm curious because I don't really understand the difference.
    not sure lol il have a look.
    on mine, which ever thread i sent on last goes to the top of the list but if i recieve a text, that thread stays wherever it was so im guessin mine is set to "sent".
    ill have a look , id prefer it to be "recieved".......

ok i dont have that setting, did it come in latest update? i refuse to update any more, sick of the bloat.

glad u asked this question coz i found an option for go sms to still recieve messages with stock sms disabled

p.s, u got a screenshot of that settings page mate?

Last edited by funkylogik; 11-02-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    GT-I9300, UK

Ok Im on an HTC Desire V and I ran into this cumbersome issue with my stock messaging app, I have a thread having a little above 4700 texts. The stock app JUST WONT OPEN this thread. What actually happens is if I try opening that thread, I can see a rotating loading icon and it does not go away. After this I am unable to open any other conversation either.

I have been using ChompSMS just for fun and it was quite convenient, more customizable but it still was quite laggy.
    I have just installed GoSMS and it seems to be smoother with its default settings or minimal customization.

I would personally recommend GOSms if you:

1. Happen to have conversations having large number of texts
    2. Want to customize appearance of your sms app
    3. Can afford ads/ little annoyances while using your sms app

Its a good app, since they are giving it for free, you may choose to live with the ads etc

GoodLuck!
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

theres also 3modes in go sms... i love mine customised but theres a basic minimalist setting... ill get a screen shot...
    Best SMS app?-uploadfromtaptalk1352629009910.jpg
    in basic settings.
    pro mode is not recommended if youre a spam hater

p.s, anyone using the latest update?
    i decided not to update coz it keeps getn more bloated.
    how is it?

GT-I9300, UK
    Haris Saleem likes this.

I have installed it today, so I guess Im using the latest update?

I preferred the Normal Mode, I hate those "Ads". Lite mode lacks in that it doesn't let you customize
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

oh i love my customisation,especialy as i have bad eyes
    Best SMS app?-uploadfromtaptalk1352639868431.jpgBest SMS app?-uploadfromtaptalk1352639885908.jpgBest SMS app?-uploadfromtaptalk1352639903026.jpg

does latest update add anything mate?

GT-I9300, UK

I use Tablet Talk. It's the most comprehensive but user-friendly app for sms messaging. It works well on my Nexus 7.

I use handcent, but send mms through the stock sms app. My experience with handcent has told me it takes extremely too long sending an MMS, even after the pic has been resized.

I like go sms but when I take screen shots and send them to my husband on his iphone the way it compresses the mms images makes them unreadable. So I'm using stock for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    I like go sms but when I take screen shots and send them to my husband on his iphone the way it compresses the mms images makes them unreadable. So I'm using stock for now.
    I've had go sms do the same thing. If I'm sending an mms, I'll use the stock app too.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

So can somebody tell me which sms app is better? Go sms or Chomp sms and why? It seems in both you will have to pay something and I just want to make sure whatever I pay for is legit. Anyone with experience with both of them?

Quote Originally Posted by rricky100 View Post
    So can somebody tell me which sms app is better? Go sms or Chomp sms and why? It seems in both you will have to pay something and I just want to make sure whatever I pay for is legit. Anyone with experience with both of them?
    I like go sms and there's really nothing you have to pay for. But you'll probably still have to use the stock app to send mms that has text

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Is there an option in go sms pro to show the time each text is received and sent? I like seeing the time of each message sent or received under it

Quote Originally Posted by rricky100 View Post
    Is there an option in go sms pro to show the time each text is received and sent? I like seeing the time of each message sent or received under it
    I think you have to actually click on it to get that info.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast